Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Lent

Started by Valerie, March 02, 2006, 08:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

Yesterday Ash wednesday marked the beginning of Lent for Christians. 

What, if any, sacrifices or spiritual practices are you adopting during this Lenten season?  Do you see your doing so as merely part of a tradition or obligation, or do you seek for the experience to enrich your relationship with God and help you love and serve God better?
  •  

Chaunte

I remember being asked MANY years ago, "What are you giving up for Lent?"  It used to be a very negative, self-sacrificing sort of thing.  We were expected to don our sackcloth and ashes for the 40 days.  After all, you were going to the Flames of Gahanna if you didn't get your ashes!  (And palms, too, for that matter.)

If I were to say what I am giving up now, I would say that I am trying to give up frustration.  Fear.  Anger.  Sarcasm.

What am I taking on?  Compassion.  Caring.  Understanding.  Talking less - listening more. 

I am trying to shun the destructive, and become more constructive.

I do this because that is what the Master did.  I do this because it will help me be the eyes, ears, hands, feet and lips of the Almighty.

Chaunte
  •  

Dennis

I'd like to stop working. So far I'm at 12 days in a row and it looks like I'm working this weekend and all next week :(

Dennis
  •  

Shelley

Someone's got to pay taxes so that the world doesn't stop. Thankyou Dennis my end was getting a little heavy and I can do with the help. :)

Shelley
  •  

Valerie

Well, I've realized for a long time that my devotional life isn't what I would like for it to be.  So I gave up the car radio for Lent in order that my mind might be quieted and allow me time to commune with the Father during that time.  Even so, it is a discipline I am still re-learning, so as of today, I mostlay have the 'getting quiet' part down...now it's just keeping my mind centered enough to speak with God and to hear Him. 

Chaunte, I really enjoyed your post.  It reminds me of one of my pastor's sermons from Lent last year.  I took notes on it, and will post the majority of it here: 

"Sunday, 2-13-05 Notes from sermon titled, 'Give it up for the Big Guy'

'Lent' origianlly meant 'springtime'.  In the early Church, lent only lasted a few days before Easter.  It was a time of preparation and purification--back then Baptism only occurred at Easter, so there was a time of fasting and prayer before hand.  When fasting became unpopular, we began the tradition of 'giving something up' for Lent.  This is meant to bring you closer to God and His kingdom; to do it for any other reason would be meaningless. 

Give up 15 minutes in bed-- use the time in prayer, Bible study, & devotions---seek His direction.

Give up noticing the worst about people; find something admirable about them instead.  Remember the log in your own eye.

Give up negativity. When negative feelings arise, recall 10 good things,blessings from god.

Give up worries and anxieties. Trust God! Live today in all its fullness; let God's grace be sufficient

Give up TV for one day a week.  Visit the sick, the lonely. Give someone your time, presence, touch.

Give up buying anything except essentials.  Give the money to the needy and/or the church.

Give up judging by appearances and by the standards of the world.  Only Christ has the right to judge. 

Give up hatred for anyone or anything. Learn the discipline of love. Pray for those who hate you.  Anger and resentment only hurt you and hinder the Spirit's growth in you.

Give up fear.  God's people are always called to ventures unknown, into arena of trust, where answers have not been revealed. The Gospel of Christ comes to comfort the afflicted, but also to afflict the comforted.

Give up one daydream and pray for your pastor one minute a day. He fights trials and temptations; he needs courage; pray for his spiritual leadership and for the upholding of the vision for your church.  " 

•  

Leigh

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006603110344

Local Roman Catholics can dig into corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day without guilt or without violating Lenten rules forbidding meat on Fridays under a special dispensation issued yesterday by Bishop David Choby.
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: Leigh on March 12, 2006, 03:29:11 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006603110344

Local Roman Catholics can dig into corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day without guilt or without violating Lenten rules forbidding meat on Fridays under a special dispensation issued yesterday by Bishop David Choby.

If I recall correctly, the original intent of not eating meat on Fridays had nothing to do with self-sacrifice.  Hundreds of years ago, the Italian fishing  industry was going through slagging sales.  To help increase sales, the Pope banned meat on Fridays.

When the Irish started coming en mass to America, companies would serve meat ONLY on Friday because they knew the Irish couldn't eat it. 

(If my memory is incorrect, please let me know and I will either correct or delete this post.)

Chaunte
  •  

Alexandra

Quote from: Chaunte on March 12, 2006, 10:09:35 PM
If I recall correctly, the original intent of not eating meat on Fridays had nothing to do with self-sacrifice.  Hundreds of years ago, the Italian fishing  industry was going through slagging sales.  To help increase sales, the Pope banned meat on Fridays.

:o Now that's an interesting bit of information.
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: Alexandra on March 13, 2006, 02:59:45 AM
:o Now that's an interesting bit of information.

That was a loooooooooong time ago - several hundred years.  It was back in the day when buying indulgencies was a common practice. 

The best way to describe what an "Indulgence" is to say that it was possible to receive forgiveness for a major sin you were about to do.  Often, this involved building a church, monastery or convent, and then funding if for a number of years.  It was a perk for the, then, super wealthy & powerful.    I believe that this is one of the points Martin Luther argued against as he tacked his list on the church door, thus starting the Reformation.

Today, abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent is a traditional form of self-sacrifice, especially for this red-meat gal!  I try to live up to the spirit of the tradition by having a simple fish or fish-fry dinner.

For those interested, I have a simple whitefish recipe that is a modification of one called the Dublin Lawyer (which used lobster).  It's called the Dublin Paralegal – It's almost as good and a whole lot less expensive.

Chaunte
  •