Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Gender expression - labels

Started by Deb Roz, June 02, 2017, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb Roz

I was just thinking about a topic that I find fascinating, which is the taxonomy of gender expression (I like 50 cent words).  I know some people hate labels, but I like them, if they're owned and celebrated by the person identifying that way. 

What I mean is things like:  High Femme, tomboy, gender neutral, hyper masculine.  Things like that.  I get a kick out of the different labels like these and I think they are descriptive. 

Does anyone have a favorite or preferred descriptor?  Can anyone share a good resource on these sorts of labels?

Thanks.
Mid 30s, assigned male at birth, seriously questioning my gender for the first time.
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Michelle_P

Labels are funny things.  People seem to be happier when they can tag others and put them in a box; "Oh!  You're a ..."

OK, labels for me:

I am a woman.

I am a lesbian.

I am "blue jean femme."

I am a transgender person, MtF.

Some explanation:   The "blue jean femme" is a flavor of lesbian that happens to like makeup, and a feminine but casual presentation, more blue jeans than dresses.  "Femme" lesbians tend to present in a more traditional gender-specific presentation, and are criticized within the community for not rejecting these gender-specific tokens.

"High femme" is (in my experience) a presentation of exaggerated femininity, slightly over the top makeup and dress, often to make a statement about traditional gender-specific presentation.

You may also hear "lipstick lesbian" as a slightly derogatory way of referring to femme women.  Naturally it backfires and gets embraced by some in the community!

One of the funnier things about 'femme' is that they are almost invisible to the lesbian community, not having 'the look' about them.  Where I live there is practically a dress code within the community, and the femme folks aren't following it.  Eye contact and 'the nod' help work around this.

(There are some women's and lesbian spaces I am welcome in, and some I am not.  I observe and learn where I can.  People are so darn interesting!)
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Deb Roz

Yes!  'blue jean femme'  I love it! 

I have a coworker who is 'high femme' and her ability to look glamorous is unparalleled! 

When I was younger, I used to judge that wrong, because I didn't really understand aesthetics and had some misguided ideas.  Now I have mad mad respect for the amount of craft that goes into the wearable art she models every day!  Somehow she does this without looking tacky.  Like, walks up to the tacky line, sniffs, kicks it aside. 

Of course, she's a total sweetheart.  Being nice makes every aesthetic look better :) 
Mid 30s, assigned male at birth, seriously questioning my gender for the first time.
  •  

Annecy

First I would note that ...
Gender Expression is distinct from Gender Identity

Then I would point those interested ...
to see a GenderExpression post highlighting
a Victoria's Secret SuperModel
who is:
GenderFluid
  •  

ainsley

Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Laurie

I'm known to my friends as "A Mean Rotten Old Fart in a cowboy hat" or a MROF in a cowboy hat

Soon they will have to change it to "A Mean Rotten Old Broad in a cowboy hat"

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Colleen_definitely

All of this labeling and classification brings to mind this scene:

As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

ainsley

One of my favorite Milla movies!
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Deb Roz

Hahaha!  yes, I love it all!   

The 5th Element is so good at Environmental storytelling.  That scene is a great example.  "No sir, I am a meat popsicle"  hehehe. 

@Annecy :  I will have to take a look at that post/vid you referenced to the gender fluid victoria secret model.  I am intrigued.

I am also interested in the difference between expression and identity.  That is something I will read more about so I can get it clear in my mind. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Perky waitress: Hi, guys!
My wife: Don't call us guys.  We're dames or broads.

Given my pelvic structure, I'm probably never going to be a broad, so I guess I'm a dame.  Preferably a classy dame.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Gertrude

The one the is not like the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •