Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

anyone into experimental music??

Started by Laura91, January 24, 2008, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura91

•  

tekla

You might need to define that a bit more, there is a wide range of stuff out there that falls under that rubric some of its way cool, other stuff is pure junk, but that of course is what you get when you experiment.  So are you thinking of something along the lines of found music? or processed music?  or computer generated music, or perhaps a b>-bleeped-<ipe and oboe suite, or someone who is recycling old stuff and trying to get people to buy it again by calling it experimental? 

Many years ago now, I went with a friend who was a band management type to hear a band with him.  The band guy kept tell us "Oh, its really dark."  "We're not like other bands because we're dark."  What he meant - though he didn't know enough about music to even name it, or understand it when I did, was "We write songs in minor keys."  Which, by the mid-1980s, was not exactly groundbreaking.  Chopin beat them by a few years.

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: Laura91 on January 24, 2008, 11:28:27 AM
Well............are you??  ;D

That is a VEEEEERRRRRRY broad term - care to elaborate a bit. Personally, I like experimental, hybrid musical styles, but what I classify as such might not be in your book.

Eg. Musique Concrete and Old Industrial music;
Artists that blend many different genres and styles like Tristania and Opeth.

That kind of thing...
  •  

tekla

Opeth is one of the best bands that almost no one knows about.
  •  

tekla

Combining a beat (rhythm), with a riff (melody) and Chords (structure) is not exactly groundbreaking stuff.
  •  

Laura91

Basically stuff like harsh noise, ambient, etc. I like stuff like Merzbow, Masonna, Trial Of The Bow, Muslimguaze, etc, just to give you some idea of what I am talking about. I just recently (like earlier this morning :D) started to check WFMU's playlists and they play all kinds of freeform music.
  •  

tekla

Yeah, but when I think of experimental I'm thinking more along the lines of people who are say, giving colors a pitch value and then translating a painting into sound.
  •  

Laura91

Quote from: tekla on January 24, 2008, 11:57:55 AM
Yeah, but when I think of experimental I'm thinking more along the lines of people who are say, giving colors a pitch value and then translating a painting into sound.

That is an interesting idea.
  •  

tekla

Its been done now, so its no longer an experiment. 
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: tekla on January 24, 2008, 11:51:57 AM
Opeth is one of the best bands that almost no one knows about.

Yay! SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS! Besides my brother, myself, and five Swedish groupies. "Death Whispered a Lullaby" is one of the greatest songs ever.

Posted on: 24 January 2008, 12:12:21
Quote from: tekla on January 24, 2008, 11:57:55 AM

Mass Media Synaesthesia ... what a concept.
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: redfish on January 24, 2008, 12:13:38 PM
Opeth seems to have a pretty big following on the internets

Sadly, all the great bands have big followings ... on the internet. Mainstream media outlets are too clogged up by ... well, we all know what by.
  •  

tekla

The RIAA has jumped the shark, and my well be a dead letter item by the end of the year.  All they need is one of the majors to dump them.  And I'm thinking this might well be the year when one of the majors goes down.  Look what just happened to EMI a few weeks ago, and once upon a time EMI was the powerhouse.  Now its been bought for its back catalog and the part of it that makes new music is being gutted.

Opeth sell out about one show (1,000) in SF every year for the last three years now.  So that's not bad.  They are almost that combination of folk and death metal that someone mentioned above.  And combining folk and metal - isn't that what Zep was doing by the middle years? 
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: tekla on January 24, 2008, 12:27:07 PM
The RIAA has jumped the shark, and my well be a dead letter item by the end of the year.  All they need is one of the majors to dump them.  And I'm thinking this might well be the year when one of the majors goes down.  Look what just happened to EMI a few weeks ago, and once upon a time EMI was the powerhouse.  Now its been bought for its back catalog and the part of it that makes new music is being gutted.

Opeth sell out about one show (1,000) in SF every year for the last three years now.  So that's not bad.  They are almost that combination of folk and death metal that someone mentioned above.  And combining folk and metal - isn't that what Zep was doing by the middle years? 

Okay, I'm an open-source geek, so I'm probably biased towardw this model, but in my opinion, recorded music is and should be the same as open source software - artists should make their moneny doing live events, like before recording was invented (Ah, the romantic wandering minstrel...) with recorded stuff available to the public, like open source software to stimulate creativity and foster innovation. I really believe that IP laws do nothing but protect corporate interests while squashing creativity.

But then, I would...  >:D

Simone
  •  

tekla

Well.......

I do think that paying the artists, paying the songwriters and all that is not a bad thing.  They deserve the money for their creativity, and in the marketplace the guy who writes Stairway to Heaven makes a big pile of money.  Nothing wrong with that.

However.....

It didn't work out like that.  It worked out so that the major labels wallowed in cash, and created a system where it was possible to make a gold record and still come out owing the record company money.  I know people its happened to.

I like live music, not only for the artistic sense of people playing music for other people with all that it entails, but also (full disclosure here) because I've made most of the money I've ever made in my life doing live music shows, so I have a dog in that fight as it were.

The Grateful Dead let people record the shows and pass them around.  It was lazy in the beginning - they just didn't care - and by the end, it was a revolutionary idea.  For "B&P" (Blanks and Postage) we traded those things among ourselves for years and years.  When they finally got the idea (they were nothing if not slow) to use their tapes and put CDs out (3 CD sets for like $20) they sold a pile of them, and that collection, called Dick's Picks, is now up to volume 25 or something.  As it turned out, the only people doing this - people like me - already had all the stuff they recorded anyway so its not like they were losing money, but --- we did buy more tickets to shows, leaving them in the end multi-millionaires (all be it the hard way, they did have to perform for it) though ticket sales, rather than record sales.

Using that model, a lot of band Phish, Govm't Mule and others now have sites set up, and you can download the pristine sound board tapes for like $20 a show (with some art work, set lists and the occasional bonus like a track from practice or sound check) No record company.  No having to create huge inventories that may, or may not sell.  You only sell the ones that people want, and your cost in doing is almost nill.   That's the new model.

For the life of me (and I should write this all in caps because I tend to scream it IRL) I don't understand how the major labels didn't go to Napster and back a truck full of money up to the guys desk and dump it telling him "go buy a small country somewhere, but this is ours now."   They had everyone who mattered (early adopters in tech terms) at the same place and the same time.  In suing the Nap, what they did was like hitting mercury with a hammer.  It did not end it, it scattered it in a way that it could never be put back together again.  It may well prove to be about the MOST STUPID BUSINESS DECISION IN THE HISTORY OF BUSINESS.  After all, its how they solved every other problem they faced, by buying it out.  Why this one time they didn't buy it, but in the end ruined it, proved that the old boys, who knew that everyone had a price, were BUSINESS MEN, NOT BUSINESS SCHOOL GRADS - and that kids, is a hell of difference.

In terms of 'experimental music' most of those people had a hard time getting it released because the majors were not interested in anyone who wasn't selling 50K units the first day out of the box.  So the people who might sell 10K over three years, were out in the cold. The corporationization of the radio industry did not help either.  I know "DJs" on the radio stations (big ones) who never play a song.  They go in, record a script for a few hours, and that's it.

So these people were very early on into the net model, thinking (opps, they thought, another difference from the Hookers and Blow A&R guys) that if they didn't make money, at least - at the very least - they might get people to at least HEAR their stuff.  So they went to the net.

Then..... Then the RIAA starts a series of lawsuits that even given the history of lawsuits in America are really dumb.

So... now, its all over, Baby Blue. 
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: tekla on January 24, 2008, 01:54:33 PM
Then..... Then the RIAA starts a series of lawsuits that even given the history of lawsuits in America are really dumb.

So... now, its all over, Baby Blue. 

Yeah, lets sue 13-year olds who probably buy more music because they're listening to a wider variety of artists! Good exercise for the lawyers!!!
  •  

Dark Angel

I love "experimental" music! Whenever im in the mood I'll turn out the lights and relax on my bed and listen to it. Some of my favorites are:

Aphex Twin
Autechre
Raison D' Etre
Squarepusher
Fantomas
Coil
Immaculate Grotesque
Sepulchral Archfiend
  •