Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

muisc of today where is it going and what happed to music

Started by debbie.j, February 16, 2008, 08:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debbie.j

hi all me and some friends today was talking about the music of today . in regards to where it is going.

and what happened to music . and so i thought i might bring up this question here. and get your thoughts

on it . and  when i say music it can be rock pop jazz blues country or classical. so that everyone can

give there input on this topic . so please lets begin the talks on this  :)

Posted on: February 16, 2008, 09:47:49 PM
keeping in topic on this . for me music of today has going to the dog,s i hate to say. like i said in my first

post i was with friends today. and we was talking about this . and one of my friends played a new song.

and i forget who it was some one i never heard of before at all. but i listened to the whole song. after wards

my friend ask me what i thought . the only answer i could give which it was honest  what the bloody hell

kind of train wreck is that . now iam not one that normaly says that about music. for the fact i love music

and i dont know why but for some reason i keep finding my self running back to the older music from the

60,s to about 2003. i don't know why it is  but i do . so now thats kinda where on stand on this as of right

now . so my question is this now  is it just me that feels like this ?? or does any one feel like this too????
  •  

Pica Pica

i feel it is going through a bit if a derivative phase at the moment
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

debbie.j

if iam getting this right iam not sure tho pica pica. but if iam  you mean kinda like music has goten all

haywired and kinda messy . and not really sure what is going on with its self and or where it is going at all

is that kinda what your getting at pica pica ???
  •  

tekla

There are a lot of good bands, some great ones.  Lots of jazz greats still around, just heard Stanley Clark a month ago - best jazz bass ever.  Classical music has never been better.  There is good dance stuff, and some hip-hop that's OK.  And, at no other time in history have you had more access to more music, from all over the world, and all through time.  Try Pandora Radio.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

debbie.j

hi tekla  indeed there are a lot of good bands and some great bands . as well as some bad one as much as i

hate to say that. there again yes there are lots of jazz greats around. and i have heard some of stanley

clarks work and he is good too. now for hip hop umm so far noting has really stood out to me as of late ::)

indeed tekla you are rignt in regards to being able to get access to music from all over the world now

then you was able to 20 yr,s ago . and my self i just go buy the cd,s from walmarts or music world or a

few of the other music shops that i  go to  :)
  •  

tekla

One of my favorites of late is Rodrigo y Gabriela, you can find a podcast of a show from last year in Santa Cruz that is just mindblowing.  I kind of like the Hives, and the Donnas, and there are lots and lots of smaller bands out there doing some good stuff.  I think Sound Tribe Sector 9 is doing very unique stuff, Warren Haynes and Govm't Mule are as strong a jam band as ever, and there is a band just coming on strong called Grace Potter and the Nocturnals that are worth checking out.  And all periods had crappy bands too, the Moody Blues sold a lot, as did Journey -and people still don't understand why.
  •  

debbie.j

i,ll have to check Rodrigo y Gabriela, out and yea the hives and the donnas they was good .yes but its like

you have to really and i mean really dig hard to find the good bands now adays ::) and i just dont know

why it is every time i hear Sound Tribe Sector 9 or Warren Haynes and Govm't Mule  i keep wanting to

run right back to the old music . and i have not heard of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals i,ll have to look

for them the next time in the music store and check them out . um yea i kinda agree with you on that to

a point tekla. each area did have some crapy bands , but it seams like it is more today that the crapy

bands are poping up . then say they did in the past. and yes the Moody Blues Journey did very well

as well as  others i can name like gunnrose  and van halen and i think the reason maybe at that time there

was some out there that maybe did not fully understand the music . or even today there are some who

still dont understand  the music . but maybe that will change eh??

•  

tekla

I don't think its the bands and music that has changed as much as radio has.  Fewer selections, more and more of less and less.  The stuff is there, its harder to hear it, except on the web, like I said, check out Pandora, put in your favorite song, and it goes from there.  They have half a million songs, and are adding more all the time.

And there are some, like Velvet Revlover that get worse every time I hear them play live (and I mostly see live music).  And most of Guns N' Roses wasn't even alive when the original record was released.  But Axel is as worthless as ever.  Two and a half hours late last time I worked that.  Oh well, time is money.  I haven't heard the new Widespread Panic with Jimmy Herring, but I hear good things about them.  Might try MOG, which is a music site, I've got turned on to some good new stuff there.
  •  

lady amarant

I kinda lost touch with mainstream music around the turn of the century (this one! not the last!) and I've gotten much more into the Symphonic/Gothic/Doom metal and underground Metalcore/Melodeath scenes. European electronic and ambient music (especially German! I love "E Nomine") is also amazing.

There's a lot of good music out there, it's just not really given airtime on radio or shelfspace or anything else. I go and look for new music using wikipedia, mp3.com and the like, by asking people to recommend bands, etc. I have a polish flatmate who has been pointing me to some very good bands from there, for example.

These days, if you don't want mindless, numbing pop or gangsta rap, you need to do some legwork yourself, I think.
  •  

debbie.j

well tekla i think its a little of both the bands and radio. i think there has been change on both sides there

and iam not much for going to most of the music sites. but thanks for the offer on it tho .Velvet Revlover

i heard them . but it just makes me want to go back again to the old music . where iam at you got to drive

3 hours to hear live music bands. all i say guns nroses was a great band and i,ll leave it at that

Posted on: February 17, 2008, 07:24:00 AM

hiyea ellie :) well ellie some how i think you goten what i was asking . but for you ellie my dear i,ll make it

a little more clear :) in the long and short way of it  i was aksing how you flet about muisc from lets say

the 60,s to about 2003. verus the music of today from 2004 till now . i hope that helps you better ellie :)

anyways i dont kid ellie hun. it,s just not me to kid in regards to music i know it seams like that ellie but

for what ever reason  todays music is just not agreeing with me yet .but i can say  it might change tho.

and well the muisc sites i really dont go to them .but maybe that will change too but i goten to the point

where if i see it in the muisc stores and give it a spin there . and i like it . well then i buy the cd on the

spot. thats cool ellie hun who knows maybe some time in my spare time i might check out the muisc sites

that you named

Posted on: February 17, 2008, 07:39:45 AM
hiyea lady thats cool and myself i too enjoy Symphonic/Gothic/ metal. in goth i have been listening to

some of mana samas work . and i,ll have to check out the European electronic and ambient music. and

thats cool that your flatmate has been comeing up with some good bands for you to check out. well i do

like pop muisc . but as for that gangsta rap ummm i,ll pass that right on by . gangsta rap just dont

interest me at all .
  •  

tekla

I got it, found the problem right here - my self i just go buy the cd,s from walmarts or music world or a few of the other music shops that i  go to.

That, as they say, is so last century.  That is not how new music is being herd, nor how its getting out.  Ell's suggestions are good, there are podcasts you can download, stuff like Pandora, wiki, music sites like MOG that embed songs - and where you can find other with similar tastes and write back and fourth, there is LimeWire, the ALT-Rags, like SF Weekley and SF Bay Guardian, Village Voice and others that review stuff not getting radio play (or onto WallMart shelves), and U-Tube which has lots of great stuff, and is far more a place where new music gets discovered than WallMart. 

The mechanics have changed 100%.  Back when a lot of the stuff you liked came out the rule was > You made a record, then toured to support it.  The money was in record sales, and everything was about the record.  Now you put out a record/CD to support the tour, and touring is where the money is.  Anyone with a computer, ProTools and some other stuff can make a pretty good recording now, and get it out without having to press 10,000 copies, which is a lot of money up front.  The cost of making CDs the old way has got beyond what most new bands can do.  So they DIY, or put out shows or cuts on their web sites.  Some bands like STS9 and Mule have complete shows up, and for $20 you can download 2-3 CDs worth of stuff, with art work and burn the discs at home, or do whatever you do with them. 

I've seen several bands I work with toss live cuts up on their web site, among other reasons, that to do a Live CD from that hall costs $17,000 (you're reading that right) JUST TO USE THE NAME.  But, if you are only putting out a few songs, no money is changing hands, then....

Other bands are experimenting with selling CDs burned as the show is happening, you buy it there, and get it before you leave.  I have a killer set of Peter Murphy of Bauhaus doing the Fillmore on Halloween a few years ago that opens with a couple of string players doing the opening to Bella Lagosi's Dead.  And there is a lot of stuff out there like that.  Tons of the Black Crows shows.

You just need to get out of the WallMart CD isle, off the commercial radio, what you want is out there.
  •  

debbie.j

hi tekla :) well the reason i go to walmarts and the other music cd stores. is really smiple. a i can get the

cd i want right then and there . and 2 i dont need to use a credit or bank card . 3 i can use cash only.

4 i dont have to deal with any problems that might happen if i was to go and use the muisc sites to buy

my music from . so that might be of some help to understand why i go to walmarts and the other muisc

stores to buy my cd,s .so anyways yes the The mechanics have changed 100% from the way they used

to be . and yes  now a days with all the audio software out today you can do a lot to a song or cd even

for that matter  when i did stuff like that i used cakewalk pro it was ok for the most part. yea i have heard

some bands are trying out that idea now in regards to bruning a live cd while your at the show . and take

it with you.  and it might work out good who knows anyways your cool tekla   :)
  •  

tekla

Its really LiveNation pushing the "Concert" CD idea as a way to increase revenue streams.  But it seems to work, and we've set it up with 100+ burners running in the basement from a live feed from upstairs.  Next I think they are going to go all out to do a 'live dvd' in the same format, we're putting in almost a million dollars in lighting and video equipment in a permanent install currently.

And I'm not going to say anything against WallyWorld or Target (currently the 2 biggest sellers of music) but there is a huge difference between the way they retail, and the old hippie running the record store in the strip mall.  First, I know WallMart, and I think Target - will not sell anything with a Parental Advisory, so your getting a different mix.  But even more, they are not selling anything that is not going to move in major units, thus limiting it to Coldplay and Celine Dion and not giving a newer bands much of a chance.  Its all the stuff you hear at the 20,000+ concerts, but none of the bands that are playing 500-800 seat halls night in and night out.  So if the Police put out another greatest hits package, you'll find it - but bands like, oh say, Umphries McGee, who just sold out three shows at the Fillmore, maybe not.  Because they are not going to sell huge numbers coast to coast, but have a more limited market appeal. 
  •  

debbie.j

Quote from: tekla on February 18, 2008, 07:23:51 PM
Its really LiveNation pushing the "Concert" CD idea as a way to increase revenue streams.  But it seems to work, and we've set it up with 100+ burners running in the basement from a live feed from upstairs.  Next I think they are going to go all out to do a 'live dvd' in the same format, we're putting in almost a million dollars in lighting and video equipment in a permanent install currently.

(iam surprized that they have not goten to doing the dvd video format already)

And I'm not going to say anything against WallyWorld or Target (currently the 2 biggest sellers of music) but there is a huge difference between the way they retail, and the old hippie running the record store in the strip mall.  First, I know WallMart, and I think Target - will not sell anything with a Parental Advisory, so your getting a different mix.  But even more, they are not selling anything that is not going to move in major units, thus limiting it to Coldplay and Celine Dion and not giving a newer bands much of a chance.  Its all the stuff you hear at the 20,000+ concerts, but none of the bands that are playing 500-800 seat halls night in and night out.  So if the Police put out another greatest hits package, you'll find it - but bands like, oh say, Umphries McGee, who just sold out three shows at the Fillmore, maybe not.  Because they are not going to sell huge numbers coast to coast, but have a more limited market appeal. 

oh tekla :P sometimes i say things against walmarts  :P and i  love it when i find the old hippie running the

record stores . as they will carry more of the update music then say walmarts will. but yet in defending

walmart for a seconed here. when ozzy osbourne came out with his new cd black rain. walmart was the

frist place i was able to buy the cd. which i kinda was surprized but yet glad to see tho
  •  

buttercup

I have to agree Debbie that there is probably more crap music made now then ever before.  I hate songs that are pretentious, like you know they are written to make a fast buck. 

I don't mind rap, but I don't like it when it is referring to their amazing money making abilities or naming all their famous friends etc.

My taste in music is so varied - I like rock, pop, alternate, jazz, classical, rap, indie.  It just depends on my mood, I have music for doing housework lol, to just relax with, to exercise, dance too.  I love music, couldn't imagine life without it!   :)
  •  

debbie.j

Quote from: buttercup on February 18, 2008, 08:23:08 PM
I have to agree Debbie that there is probably more crap music made now then ever before.  I hate songs that are pretentious, like you know they are written to make a fast buck. 

I don't mind rap, but I don't like it when it is referring to their amazing money making abilities or naming all their famous friends etc.

My taste in music is so varied - I like rock, pop, alternate, jazz, classical, rap, indie.  It just depends on my mood, I have music for doing housework lol, to just relax with, to exercise, dance too.  I love music, couldn't imagine life without it!   :)

hiyea butter cup :) indeed buttercup and not only that .but like i pointed out in my frist post i think it was

that for me todays music  for the most part is like a bloody train wreck that just happened . and you can

not tell where the front of the train or the back of the train even was at to begin with .

and for rap umm i like some of it but yet iam still on the picky side . i mean i can listen to kid rock ok

but i can not stand that 50cent guy. but thats just me  ::) :P

me too buttercup me too iam so varied with my music  . that i can go from classical all the way to country

them jump to pop and rock . and then go to goespel music  i know butter cup me too it just depends on

my mood at that time. and again buttter cup i have to agree with you life with out music i hate to even

think what that would be like life with out music i mean buttercup :)
  •  

tekla

Oh come on, there always been a lot of crap, big steaming piles of it.  How else do you explain that Pat Boone outsold Big Joe Turner doing Shake, Rattle and Roll? 

Naming other people has long been a tradition in the African American musical community.  And others too, there is even a webpage that lists a bunch of them, not the least of which is.....

Sweet Soul Music, by Arthur Conley

Do you like good music
That sweet soul music
Just as long as it's swingin'
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Out here on the floor now
We're going to a go go
Ah dancin to the music
Oh yeah, oh yeah

Spotlight on Lou Rawls y'all
Ah don't he look tall y'all
Singin' loves a hurtin' thing now