Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Therapist's letter

Started by Wendy C, May 14, 2008, 09:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendy C

Maybe Im just a little paranoid over this and I thought I saw it talked about somewhere on this site but I couldnt find it. Does anyone get or need a letter anymore from a Doctor or Therapist that explains you are in transition and that you can show to cops etc if needed? I ask my Therapist if she could draw one up for me and her reply was she could if I wanted one but that she hasnt had to do it in years and Im the first to ask for one in a long time. She said generally the cops in my Metro area dont have a problem with us unless you start acting stupid and cause trouble.

Is this the current practice in other areas of the Country and do I really need a letter then? I would appreciate comments on this as I am on the verge of presenting full time in public.

Hugs

Wendy
  •  

Ms.Behavin

I never had a "carry letter",  I was worried for a month or two, but after a while, it was no big deal.  Of course in california you can change your name and gender on your drivers license with just a form filed out from your therapist, so I guess I did not need one. 

YMMV of course

Good luck

Beni
  •  

feliciahawthorn

Quote from: Wendy C on May 14, 2008, 09:09:33 PM
Maybe Im just a little paranoid over this and I thought I saw it talked about somewhere on this site but I couldnt find it. Does anyone get or need a letter anymore from a Doctor or Therapist that explains you are in transition and that you can show to cops etc if needed? I ask my Therapist if she could draw one up for me and her reply was she could if I wanted one but that she hasnt had to do it in years and Im the first to ask for one in a long time. She said generally the cops in my Metro area dont have a problem with us unless you start acting stupid and cause trouble.

Is this the current practice in other areas of the Country and do I really need a letter then? I would appreciate comments on this as I am on the verge of presenting full time in public.

Hugs

Wendy

Hello Wendy,

I just posted something to this effect on another forum. I will post it here because I feel it is relevant to your question.

Has anyone seen this link?

http://www.transgender.org/rtc/tgid.html

It describes the Rho Tau Transgender ID Card. They say you can "Use it with your driver's license, passport or other form of identification. This card has been fully accepted by US Immigration, Cruise Lines and Airlines since 9/11/2001." Does anyone think it is worth getting and do you know if they keep things confidential?

I was pulled over by the local police one time for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and after they saw my driver's license, the two young male officers made fun of my gender. I am not sure if having such a card would be helpful in this kind of situation or in a restroom situation if anyone were to question. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Felicia
  •  

mickiejr1815

i know i haven't seen it, for some it would work, others like me i don't want it. around here it would just bring more pain and ridicule, not to mention probably much much more.

Warrior Princess,
Mickie
  •  

Wendy C

Thanks girls, Felicia, Ill look that link up later as its late here and I m just getting home. So much has happened to today my head is spinning. I had my Appointment with my Therapist today and went for the first time dressed female and wearing make up. By the time the session was over, she had issued me the carry letter in case I need it and had told me that as far as she was concerned unless I regressed I had in her eyes started my RLE.  :o  OMG....... I really would like to add more details but I am just so tired right now so Ill plan on doing it tomorrow. I just had to share my joy.   :icon_dance:

Hugs Wendy
  •  

feliciahawthorn

Quote from: Wendy C on May 15, 2008, 10:07:19 PM
Thanks girls, Felicia, Ill look that link up later as its late here and I m just getting home. So much has happened to today my head is spinning. I had my Appointment with my Therapist today and went for the first time dressed female and wearing make up. By the time the session was over, she had issued me the carry letter in case I need it and had told me that as far as she was concerned unless I regressed I had in her eyes started my RLE.  :o  OMG....... I really would like to add more details but I am just so tired right now so Ill plan on doing it tomorrow. I just had to share my joy.   :icon_dance:

Hugs Wendy

Wow Wendy, it sounds like you made some great progress today. Congratulations!

Take care.

Felicia

Posted on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:19 PM
Quote from: Princess Mickie on May 15, 2008, 11:46:52 AM
i know i haven't seen it, for some it would work, others like me i don't want it. around here it would just bring more pain and ridicule, not to mention probably much much more.

Warrior Princess,
Mickie

Thank you for your input. I am sure it would be helpful or harmful to some depending on circumstances. Take care.

Felicia
  •  

Ms Bev

Way to go, Wendy!
About the letter.....
Check with your state's MVA and see what it takes to get a female gender marker on your driver's license as soon as possible. In some states, it's very simple.

I'll never forget my trip to MVA with a letter from their medical advisory board, instructing them to change my gender marker.  I chatted over the counter with the young female clerk about the weather and such, then, she started reading the letter.  When she finished, she slowly lowered the letter and looked at me.  I asked, "Is there something wrong?"
"No...", she said.
I smiled at her, leaned over, and said warmly,"Am I your first transsexual?"
She responded a little quietly, "I've been waiting for this to happen for the longest time!"
"Well.......have I met your expectations?"; smiled.
She looked closely at me, then said, "I thought it would be scary, and you would be big, hairy....you know.......but you're not!  You're nice looking, and I didn't know....."

She finished processing my request, then thanked me

I had my new pic taken, and new license in my pocket, and desensitized some number of people, all in one trip.

I diverge, Wendy....sorry.

GET YOUR LICENSE CHANGED (if you can)

Bev
1.) If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance. 
Bev
2.) The more I talk to my married friends, the more I
     appreciate  having a wife.
Marcy
  •