Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Younger Siblings

Started by Maddie Secutura, February 19, 2008, 07:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddie Secutura

Ok, so I have two younger siblings who don't know.  My younger brother is 17 and my younger sister is 12.  I don't think they're old enough to really understand something like this (especially my sister).  But this summer I'm getting my beard removed and this fall I'll be starting hormones.  I can't exactly wait for them to mature since I'm already 20 and if I want timely development, I ought to get a move on.  Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

•  

Chaunte

Maddie,

Do your parents know?  That is step one.

I would suggest having a counselor present when you tell them.  Your family physician should be able to recommend one.  Telling them with the minister present is probably not a good idea unless your minister is very accepting.

I would wait for sumer recess so they have time to assimilate the information.

From what I have read, the younger the more accepting.

Chaunte
  •  

Dante

I just wanted to say that you might be surprised with the comprehension of your siblings. It really doesn't matter the age if they have maturity. I don't like when people assume that just because someone is young, they don't have experience or at least some maturity. So just tell them and see how they react.

•  

shanetastic

Quote from: The_Unforgiven on February 19, 2008, 10:11:43 PM
I just wanted to say that you might be surprised with the comprehension of your siblings. It really doesn't matter the age if they have maturity. I don't like when people assume that just because someone is young, they don't have experience or at least some maturity. So just tell them and see how they react.

Seconded.

Family tends to also be the most accepting too, well, if you have a like family that really cares and isn't too anti gay/trans/bi/ etc type.  My brother took it fine.  He's a little older than me being 20, but I mean it didn't change anything.  I think that your sister will be able to understand, although she might not be able to really critically understand.  Your brother should be able to take it fine and understand being 17.  I found it actually easier to tell my brother (only sibling) than I did to tell my parents.  Siblings tend to be closer and understand each other more if your close to one another it seems to me.
trying to live life one day at a time
  •  

Maddie Secutura

I've already told both my parents.  My mom didn't really understand at first, but after some explaining she understands and is supportive.  My dad doesn't have a problem but I don't know if he completely grasps the concept.  But yes, both my parents know.  As far as my brother goes, growing up we were best buddies and I don't want him to think he's losing me like that.  As for my little sister, we're 8 years apart so I'm not as close to her as I am to my brother.  It's funny because I have an older sister too, but I kinda told her already. 

Ha, my brother is going to hate me because he will be the only male child.

I guess it's only a matter of time before they find out anyway, I guess I'd rather have it on my terms. 

•  

lady amarant

I think your siblings will surprise you. Younger people generally haven't developed that inflexibility of mind and attitude as fully as the rest of us.
  •  

Schala

Quote from: Maddie Suzumiya on February 19, 2008, 11:38:07 PM
I've already told both my parents.  My mom didn't really understand at first, but after some explaining she understands and is supportive.  My dad doesn't have a problem but I don't know if he completely grasps the concept.  But yes, both my parents know.  As far as my brother goes, growing up we were best buddies and I don't want him to think he's losing me like that.  As for my little sister, we're 8 years apart so I'm not as close to her as I am to my brother.  It's funny because I have an older sister too, but I kinda told her already. 

Ha, my brother is going to hate me because he will be the only male child.

I guess it's only a matter of time before they find out anyway, I guess I'd rather have it on my terms. 

I have 3 brothers, who are now 14, 16 and 23. I'm 25. I was always close or 'buddy' with the 23 years old one. He always suspected I might be gay (but didn't really say it).

I told all 3 of them 2 years ago, they all took it well.
  •