Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Rape games played at SA schools

Started by Shana A, March 12, 2008, 06:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Rape games played at SA schools
Johannesburg, South Africa   
12 March 2008 01:24

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=334485&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__national/

Games such as "hit me, hit me" and "rape me, rape me", where schoolchildren chase each other and then pretend to hit or rape each other, are being played at South African schools, the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) said in a report on school-based violence, which was presented in Johannesburg on Wednesday.

"This game demonstrates the extent and level ... [that the] brutalisation of the youth has reached and how endemic sexual violence has become in South Africa," the SAHRC said.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

NicholeW.

Goddess!! How incredibly sad.

Although I sometimes think we do much the same thing in USA with our teaching environment fueled by parents, churches, action-groups and visual entertainment.

Nichole
  •  

Sarah Louise

That seems incredibaly crazy.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

lady amarant

Sadly my homeland has one hell of a legacy to overcome.

But of course, when the future president can walk away from both a rape and a fraud charge (untried folks!) you know you have a problem.

I love my country. The people are, for the most part, amazing, the country is beautiful beyond belief, and I am proudest of all that we managed to walk away from a virtually certain civil war and make peace instead.

Which makes watching us lose it all to greed and apathy and ignorance and hatred so much harder to bear.

We are losing ourselves. And it's happening so quickly.
  •  

Shana A

Quote from: lady amarant on March 12, 2008, 12:46:40 PM
Sadly my homeland has one hell of a legacy to overcome.

My homeland (USA) also has quite a legacy of slavery, murdering the native population and discrimination to overcome.

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

lady amarant

Quote from: Zythyra on March 12, 2008, 12:51:06 PM
My homeland (USA) also has quite a legacy of slavery, murdering the native population and discrimination to overcome.

It's so frightening how easily we can turn into something far worse than any animal.
  •  

tekla

There is a difference, in that in the USA the legacy is being changed for the better.  Less than half a century ago, three young men, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney, and Michael Schwerner were killed in Mississippi for trying to register black voters into the Democratic Party.  Yesterday, the Democratic Party of Mississippi voted for an African-American for President of the United States.  Things can change, and change for the better.

Native American tribes are doing better today than at any time since Columbus stepped off the boat.  And there has been some progress on other fronts. 

Things change to the degree that people of good conscience work to that end.  When good people quit caring, the veneer of civilization can seem very thin.

I feel bad for SA.  Like many people in the US, I feel an affinity for the people there, and the struggle that has gone on.  This seems like a moving in the wrong direction.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

lady amarant

Quote from: tekla on March 12, 2008, 04:47:03 PM
I feel bad for SA.  Like many people in the US, I feel an affinity for the people there, and the struggle that has gone on.  This seems like a moving in the wrong direction.

We had so much hope back in '94. Very few South Africans hold that hope anymore. They either leave the country or become predators, be it as criminals, business people or whatever else.

I sometimes feel like we're slowly commiting suicide, because at the end of the day, that's the difference between somebody who resists the urge and somebody who gives up.
  •