Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

why should anything exist at all?

Started by Natasha, February 02, 2008, 08:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

why not an absolute void , no space and no time?

or can you not logically predicate such an argument?

edit: not so much a void but absolute nothingness.....you could use semantics to suggest that no-thingness implies "something"...but perhaps our language can't grasp the concept of "Nullity".
  •  

tekla

There are some pretty blank spaces in deep space, and pop culture has a lot of voids too.

All I want is nothing, but that's still wanting something.
Mary Lou's Corvette

Time/Space exists independent of us. 
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Sarah

•  

RebeccaFog

Quotewhy should anything exist at all?
Because I said so.   And, you would know this if you took the time to read my overly long and badly written pamphlet which clearly states that in the beginning, I said, "Let there be light".
     Unfortunately, The sun and the stars appeared.  It was unfortunate because by "light", I meant "feathers".  I'm okay with it, however, because nothing is perfect.

Once I created feathers, I mean, "light", everything else began to appear at random.  It was like, there was no preventing it.  I was okay with all that too, because I really did want a nice lake to rest by.  Of course, everything was ruined when the humans turned up.  But, what the hell, nothing is perfect.

Any more questions?
  •  

VeryGnawty

why should anything exist at all?

Because we created it, silly.

Some people credit creation to a being called God, not knowing that they are referring to themselves.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Natasha on February 02, 2008, 08:27:38 PM

or can you not logically predicate such an argument?

edit: not so much a void but absolute nothingness.....you could use semantics to suggest that no-thingness implies "something"...but perhaps our language can't grasp the concept of "Nullity".

Natasha:

If you posit that we *are* here then by definition we exist.  To posit that there be no thingness by definition says that we do not exist.

As a philisophical statement it seems a bit thin.  :laugh:

However, what would your definition of "void" be?  Our physicality only seems substantial because we are so massive.  On an atomic or sub-atomic scale, you cannot really tell that there is any aggregate matter at all.  Just a bunch of particles.  Also at the quantum scale, time is nebulous.  Times arrow only appears when you look at matter at a large enough scale.  This is one of the reasons why physicists are turning to eastern religion to help them understand the nature of reality.  On some level we *don't* exist!  Also this is one of the reasons why some physicists turn to booze.  :laugh:

We as beings are about as massive to sub-atomic particles as the galaxy is massive to us.  We are about in the middle of the size scale which is another physicial conundrum.

Physics and philosophy have been on a collision couse since the copenhagen interpretation.

-Sandy(ask me about Zeno's paradox sometime...)
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Jordan

Quote from: Rebis on February 03, 2008, 02:34:27 PM
Quotewhy should anything exist at all?
Because I said so.   And, you would know this if you took the time to read my overly long and badly written pamphlet which clearly states that in the beginning, I said, "Let there be light".
     Unfortunately, The sun and the stars appeared.  It was unfortunate because by "light", I meant "feathers".  I'm okay with it, however, because nothing is perfect.

Once I created feathers, I mean, "light", everything else began to appear at random.  It was like, there was no preventing it.  I was okay with all that too, because I really did want a nice lake to rest by.  Of course, everything was ruined when the humans turned up.  But, what the hell, nothing is perfect.

Any more questions?

Thats interesting and possible considering all mass is made from energy. E=Mc2

•  

RebeccaFog

Well, I am the creator of the universe as you know it to be.    :)
  •  

debbie.j

Quote from: Rebis on February 05, 2008, 11:43:45 AM

Well, I am the creator of the universe as you know it to be.    :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:oh rebis my dear  your smiple too much  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and just keeping think that rebis   >:D >:D >:D >:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  •  

lady amarant

There is the school of thought that divinity is all-knowing but cannot really understand things until it experiences them, so divinity divides itself creating all things in the process, makes itself forget so that it can experience the things it only knew about before, and that is why we exist.

Or maybe we're just a cosmic quantum accident, a higgs-field collapse because of some particle-wave being a bit too heavy or a bit too light at just the right time.
  •  

Blanche

I'll try to explain it, but you'll have to pay very close attention.

Okay, this is a classic unanswerable question from metaphysics. The fact that anything exists has been used to show the logical necessity of a first cause or prime mover. Since we can not discern a reason for the obvious existence of the universe and ourselves in it, and since we theorize that there can't be any effects without causes, our most obvious route for filling in our mental blanks is to say that it has all been started by a singularity and that is where we find an important part of the job description that we have assigned to a being we call God.

In actual fact, we have no idea how there has come to be something rather than nothing. The modern human mind came into being long after the universe was formed and we didn't see anything. We just like to guess.
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Natasha on February 02, 2008, 08:27:38 PM

Because then we wouldn't be able to talk about it.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Cindi Jones

Out beyond the edge of our universe, I suspect you could find your void.  I'm guessing that there isn't anything but void out there.

The other explanation is that you don't exist except for in my dream ;)

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

tekla

Because we created it, silly.

Some people credit creation to a being called God, not knowing that they are referring to themselves

Guess that whole note about pride going before the fall missed you?  Things exist independent of of us, and will continue after we are dust in the wind.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

RebeccaFog

Once again ye all have failed me.

T'is simple I tell ye.

The reason that anything exists is because if it didn't exist then it wouldn't exist.

now.  time for everybody to go to bed.  T'is bedtime
  •  

Mia

If there is nothing between A and B then A and B are equal. And if they are equal then there must be something different also. It's like mass and energy being equivalent.

It's forced existence ! Or forced torture ?
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Mia on April 10, 2008, 01:00:17 AM
If there is nothing between A and B then A and B are equal. And if they are equal then there must be something different also. It's like mass and energy being equivalent.

It's forced existence ! Or forced torture ?

Rape.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Ell

Quote from: Blanche on March 02, 2008, 05:06:21 PM
The modern human mind came into being long after the universe was formed

but it's seed, inscription, or emblem must have been there, somewhere.
  •