Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The great gender-neutral toilet scandal

Started by Natasha, April 09, 2008, 11:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natasha

The great gender-neutral toilet scandal

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/10/gender.gayrights
4/9/2008

"All women have been there - desperate for the loo, standing in the
queue at the cinema just before the start of a popular film, glaring
resentfully at the rapid turnover of the men's. Have you ever thought
of nipping in to shake your thing with the boys, or does the thought
of those urinals put you off?"
  •  

Kaelin

It's a paranoid reaction.  However, for logistical reasons, it'd probably make sense to have more female than male restrooms and convert one of the male ones instead, even if it does create some waste with the urinals.  Many facilities actually have more toilets for women than for men in the first place to deal with the problem of females needing more bathroom time.

GLBTers need more gender-neutral toilets.  Women need more toilets.  I don't see these two needs being mutually exclusive.
  •  

Jay

I really dont understand why women need sooo much time in the toilet.. Do what you need to do wash your hands and get the hell outta here..

I use disabled toliets now so there aint normally a line! w00p! ;D

•  

Lokaeign

Ye Gods, it's Julie Bindel.  I can't stand her.   Her writing on general feminist topics is cogent and smart, but anything with a whiff of trans issues and you can hear the *Kroink sproing bink PLIINGE!!*  as her capacity for rational thought and minimal empathy grind to a shuddering halt and explode in a shower of small parts.   Toilets are a particular obsession of hers. 
  •  

mickiejr1815

ok, i just have to ask, nut what NORMAL woman has an obsession with toilets?

Mickie
The Smartass Princess
  •  

Lokaeign

Her articles are really, really distressing to read.  I've literally seen red after perusing some of her tosh.  She's made some peculiarly horrible comments in the past to the effect that trans women are "really" men, and only have gender confirmation so they can use the ladies' loos.   Trans men, on the other hand, are all lesbians who don't want to own up.  Because obviously if one transitions to male one is automatically accorded all the social privilage of a biomale and one's personal history is miraculously erased.

Yeah, we're talking that degree of steamingly horrible irrationality.

The Guardian newspaper loves her, because they get A Real Live Feminist whilst at the same time being edgy!1!! (read: pointlessly offensive to vulnerable groups who are already under attack from virtually every direction).   
  •