Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

an insulting therapist

Started by Princess, April 18, 2008, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess

i have this one therapist that's pushing me over the edge. i was told to say that i don't want to go to him anymore by someone else, but when i did that my mom just said "there's nothing wrong with him. you're the one that needs to lighten up." my other therapist told her about him, but she still likes him. it makes me so mad that i have to go to someone prescribing me anti depressants when there only using my mom as a tag team partner in being insulting. my mom said she's not gonna get me discharged.
  •  

Sister Seagull

I don't know your situation, but if you don't feel comfortable with a therapist, then they can't be a very good therapist for you.  It's totally counterproductive.

As for antidepressants... well - I know it's subjective, but I had very bad experiences with those things... and that's not uncommon.  Do a little research on them...
  •  

Just Mandy

Is it just me or does it make more sense to be seeing a female or TS therapist rather than a male therapist?

There is NO WAY I'd be able to talk to a male therapist about anything much less GID. Does
anyone else feel this way?

I don't know what else we can tell you except keep pushing for someone you're comfortable with. Don't
get mad or defensive but tell your mom over and over until she gets it.

Amanda

Something sleeps deep within us
hidden and growing until we awaken as ourselves.
  •  

Just Mandy

It's more than than that I just could not discuss anything with a male.

Amanda

•  

April221

Quote from: AlwaysAmanda on April 18, 2008, 11:22:19 PM
Is it just me or does it make more sense to be seeing a female or TS therapist rather than a male therapist?

There is NO WAY I'd be able to talk to a male therapist about anything much less GID. Does
anyone else feel this way?

I don't know what else we can tell you except keep pushing for someone you're comfortable with. Don't
get mad or defensive but tell your mom over and over until she gets it.

Amanda

Oh, yes. I totally agree, Amanda, and then some. I visit my therapist once a week. First of all, There has to be a solid rapport with your therapist. You have to feel that you can say anything on your mind without being judged. You have to trust your therapist to be on your side, that you believe that she will be there to help you. In other words, you have to be totally COMFORTABLE with your therapist, or else you're wasting your time. There is no way that you can form an alliance with someone that you don't trust or who isn't on the same wavelength as you.

As Amanda said, there is no way that I could speak freely to a man either. I'm a woman, and I do not relate well to men. I also have an inherent dis-trust of men. I could never discuss anything personal with a man, without knowing, in the back of my mind, that he's judging me. Only another woman would have, in my case, the same kind of upbringing that I had. There are many things that I experienced when I was growing up that you would have to have lived as a little girl to understand. Things that I learned as a teen ager. Everything from body language to attitude. My greatest failure in life, not to have been a mother. No man could possibly understand at least half of what I discuss with my therapist. When I visit my therapist, she shares the floor with other therapists, each in their own small office. Even though I have no hair on top of my head, I always appear publicly in a feminine manner, clothing, small bust, jewelry, accessories, etc. My appearance is far from discrete. When the female therapists on the floor walk by and see me, they will always be polite, smile, and say "hello," April. There is an older man, gray hair, gray moustache and beard. He just looks at me and stares, before turning and walking away. This is in New York City. You'd expect a more professional attitude, now wouldn't you?

Really. Amanda is 100% right. If at all possibe, find a female, gender-specific therapist. You'll have a much more productive relationship.
  •  

kirakero

I was incapable of talking to a male therapist and I am not sure why my mother even considered him.  In my experience it just made things worse.

A therapist that can deal with transgender issues in a compassionate understanding way is the absolute best.  I hope that one day there will be more of them.  (I know a couple in Pennsylvania if anyone needs a reference.)
  •  

Kate

I don't have a problem with a male therapist/psych necessarily, as long as they're understanding of the process. And yet, I swear my first psych (male) cringed as soon as we started talking about SRS, so... I moved on.

A TS therapist can certainly be sympathetic to what we're feeling, and yet there's a danger that they'll try to understand you through THEIR experience of all this, rather than your own.

But IMHO, *trust* is the most important thing between a therapist and client. Whatever or whomever it takes to make you comfortable... do it ;)

~Kate~
  •  

Just Mandy

QuoteNo man could possibly understand at least half of what I discuss with my therapist.

I think thats is it... I don't see how they could understand... maybe I'm just not giving them the credit they deserve. But if
someone cringed when I talked about SRS... or even if I thought they cringed... I'd have to walk out.

QuoteI could never discuss anything personal with a man, without knowing, in the back of my mind, that he's judging me.

I don't know how they could turn that off and even if they were not judging me the whole time I'd be sitting there
thinking they were. lol.... a male therapist is just not right for a TS in my opinion. Either female or another TS for me.

Amanda

•  

kirakero

If you live near Philly: Dr. Michele Angello (michele@micheleangello.com).  She is my therapist (on the East coast at least).  If you are farther away, let me know and I will see about asking around.
  •  

kirakero

Okies, I will ask about for you.  Philly is a bit far for you, though she does come up to Doylestown as well.  Dr. Angello is worth the distance in my opinion, but it still inhibitive.  Give me a week or two and I will see.
  •  

cindybc

Hi Princess  Well now you live in a place like I feel I lived there to. Wing Walker is from Scranton Pennsylvania. I heard some stories about that place, some really funny ones to. Wing Walker or on our way out for a couple of hours, see you when I get back.

Cindy
  •  

kirakero

I was able to find one recommendation (though there may be more):

Carol Herzon-Loney, M.Ed.

2030 Lehigh St. Suite 107, Easton, PA 18042
610 253-3453 (By Appointment Only)
  •