Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

OMG!!! People have no idea

Started by Ellissa Ray, June 23, 2006, 02:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellissa Ray

So this is a post in a message board for the show Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency reguarding the transsexual model Claudia Charriez

"I have no problems with gays and lesbians. I have plenty of friends and family that are. I also have nothing against some one who choses to have a sex change operation. What I don't understand is why in this day and age parents allow their children to grow up transgendered. I mean that is cruel and unfair to make your child live like that. I think the parents have a duty to decide wiether their child should be male or female and have the surgery done right aware so that there children can live a normal healtyh live free of confusion and discrimination."

So i guess it's up to our parents to deside what gender we're gonna be?? Our parents allow us to be transgendered?? ???

and the i se a post like this and it gives me a little hope for the world

"I recently watched the new on dvd movie "TransAmerica" with oscar nominated Felicity Huffman (from Desperate Housewives) and was moved to tears and just fell in love with the transexual character she plays. I highly reccomend this film because it shows a person with a soul full of life and not a "freak" like so many transexuals are labeled.<br>I've done a lot of reading on transexuals and truly believe that they are one of the most discriminated and abused people in the United States. <br>My hat is off to the courage of Claudia to be so brave & so beautiful on national television and to Janice for seeing her as a human being."
  •  

Melissa

I think you are reading the first paragraph wrong.  It is chastizing parents for not allowing children to grow up as the gender they identify with.  Their approch may not be the best, but it sounds like their intentions are in our interest.  Maybe instead of "decide", it should be replaced with "listen to".

Melissa
  •  

Sheila

Milissa,
  I like the idea of listening to the children. I have mixed ideas and emotions on letting a child decide for themselves on such a changeing lifestyle, that could lead to surgery. Of course, I knew who I was when I was younger just like most of you have but would hate to see someone, with progressive parents, get surgery cause that is the trend. We would be in the same situation. I would love it if society would not have any gender differences especially for the children. Bring them up genderless. Let them be who they want to be, without surgery and when the time comes that they feel that there is some sort of abmormality for them then it can be taken care of. Just sort of my idea. What would the world be like without gender, just people.
Sheila
  •  

tinkerbell

Memories...always beautiful and yet...
I always wonder what life would be if my parents had listened to me when I tried to mutilate my own genitals at the age of four.
For sure I know that life would have been so much easier.

Quote from: Ellissa Ray on June 23, 2006, 02:49:06 AM

So i guess it's up to our parents to deside what gender we're gonna be?? Our parents allow us to be transgendered?? ???

No, parents only enforce the GENDER ROLES associated with their children's natal sex.  Gender, or gender identity, on the other hand, is an internal feeling, an inner awareness that tells us whether we are male or female.  Therefore, gender cannot be changed.

tinkerbell
  •  

Kaitlyn

QuoteI think the parents have a duty to decide wiether their child should be male or female and have the surgery done right aware so that there children can live a normal healtyh live free of confusion and discrimination.

I think the confusion comes because the quoted author didn't really understand transgender and confused it with intersex or something...
The same person also says "choses to have a sex change", so doesn't understand that it's not really a choice either.
  •  

Ellissa Ray

Quote from: Kaitlyn on June 24, 2006, 12:04:06 AM
I think the confusion comes because the quoted author didn't really understand transgender and confused it with intersex or something...
The same person also says "choses to have a sex change", so doesn't understand that it's not really a choice either.

I agree, I think the person is only adressing those born intersexed, not including transsexuality.

•  

Melissa

I agree that they don't completely understand it, however, I think their intentions with that comment were (in their view) in our favor.

Melissa
  •