Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Catch-22

Started by Dennis, May 06, 2008, 11:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

So I'm applying to the Gender Recognition Panel in the UK to change my birth certificate, which is the last piece of ID I have to deal with. Submitted my application along with their (ginormous) application fee. This is what I got back.

QuoteThe evidence that you have provided does not satisfy the criteria for applying under the overseas application process....Below is a list of official documentation, which, the Panel will accept as evidence to show that you have been legally recognised.

• A new birth certificate
  • An amended birth certificate

...and a bunch of other items that are not available in Canada because they don't reflect the process in Canada. Yet Canada is on their list of approved countries for overseas recognition.

So I phoned, but couldn't get the person who wrote the letter. The fellow who did answer was as confused as I am. Hopefully it'll get cleared up by email. Otherwise, their overseas application process is a bunch of bs. Might as well apply regular track and try and find a British-qualified doctor in your country who can look at your naughty bits. God.

Dennis
  •  

Gracie Faise

Oh, the joys of beurocracy. ::)
  •  

buttercup

Bl**dy hell!  What a rigmarole and waste of money.  I would have been reduced to tears.  :(
And there is nothing worse than having someone at the other end of the phone who has no idea either!
BS that is for sure!
  •  

Suzy

You mean to say that you need a changed birth certificate in order to get a changed birth certificate?  Tell me I am not reading this right.

Just tell them to ask us, Dennis.  We'll stick up for you.

Kristi
  •  

Hazumu

"Catch-22" - They can do anything They want to you that you can't stop Them from doing.

Words to live by.

Dennis, I'm sorry to hear you're being screwed over by the bureaucracy (or is it 'ministrocracy'?)  Can I send you a bottle of Arrogant Bastard ale? (It'd arrive fresher than an In'n'out Double-Double...  ;) )

Karen
  •  

NicholeW.

Has anyone gotten word yet from ... ... ... The Castle!! Muaaaa-hahahahahahaha

I empathize with ya, Dennis and suggest you take Karen up on her offer.  No need to be ascetic while you wait on an a55less someone-or-other to remove their head from what they don't have.  :) :icon_hug: :icon_hug:

Nichole 
  •  

Krisstina

that truly s  ???

Sorry
Kristina
  •  

Dennis

Quote from: Kristi on May 06, 2008, 09:05:40 PM
You mean to say that you need a changed birth certificate in order to get a changed birth certificate?  Tell me I am not reading this right.

Just tell them to ask us, Dennis.  We'll stick up for you.

Kristi

You summed it up beautifully. Yes, I need a changed birth certificate to get my birth certificate changed. And I just paid 300 bucks to find that out. I'm going to be very pissed off if nothing can be done.

Actually I can do one thing, but it'll cost me another 300 bucks and I'm not keen on it - I can apply to have a court declare me male. It only costs me 300 bucks because I can do the application myself. If anyone else did it, it would cost them a couple of thou. So I'm not volunteering that.

Dennis

PS: Karen: Ale and burger plz. Even a little cold the burger would be welcome :/
  •  

Shana A

Quote from: Dennis on May 07, 2008, 02:03:20 AM

You summed it up beautifully. Yes, I need a changed birth certificate to get my birth certificate changed. And I just paid 300 bucks to find that out. I'm going to be very pissed off if nothing can be done.

Actually I can do one thing, but it'll cost me another 300 bucks and I'm not keen on it - I can apply to have a court declare me male. It only costs me 300 bucks because I can do the application myself. If anyone else did it, it would cost them a couple of thou. So I'm not volunteering that.

Dennis

PS: Karen: Ale and burger plz. Even a little cold the burger would be welcome :/

Dennis

Sorry you're having to deal with this ridiculous bureaucratic crap, and to add to it, the joys of paying for it too!

Second round is on me  :)

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

trannyboy

Oh those people make me insane. I am a British and Canadian Citizen and my first passport was British. It took me forever to get my docs changed over in Quebec and Canada. I finally was able to change my sex/ name and brought it to the high commission in Ottawa and spent the worst trip in Ottawa yet. I couldn't sleep on the way there because the bus driver kept sleeping while we were driving. Waited 5hrs for the embassy to open up. Brought 3 certified affidavits from surgeons who operated on me, my new bc, name change cert, my old application to change id with the Canadians, 4 photos of me with and without glasses that didn't meet standards because no one has paper without a watermark on it, 300$, application, letters from everyone in the family including me, 2 oath of identity, all my ID including old passport, a print out of the gender panel's email saying there is no point to me applying to them and a letter from the clarke because no one could give me a straight answer on the 2.99$ a minute help line where you are hold for about 10 minutes.

So Timber and I went in and after 30 minutes someone came by and offered to serve me. She insisted on taking the entire file because she didn't know if this was possible and insisted that all the documents were needed. She didn't even know what was in the entire file and tried to keep my bus ticket that happened to be in there. So I asked to speak with a supervisor and she just told me her staff knew their job and to do what I was told. I tried to be rational but got no where. At this point I am holding the counter and my dog desperately trying to stay standing. Finally I ask for a receipt that they have received the documents and she refused me. Finally supervisor comes back and gives me a scrap of paper with her signature (she could be a doctor) and a note that say old name dropped off application of this date. Finally I decide to file a complaint and ask for help and they give me a form that needs to be filed out by hand but I can't write by hand. So I ask if there is an online or downloadable form. No. Could someone help me, no and after that I could get no service.

I called the head of disability access and was told that since I was physically able to climb the 2 flights of stairs that they had provided me access and refused any help with the application. After a week in Ottawa calling every person at the embassy I admitted defeat came home and my new passport came 4 weeks later. Sigh my last one took a week...

Sorry about the rant but I know your pain. I am sorry for the state of service provided by the British government to their citizens. If I lived there or was born there I would have flipped by now. So all you dual citizens don't apply until after your changed birth certificate. Let us know how things work out.

>-bleeped-<boy
  •