DSM-V GID Workgroup Headed up with Trans Bigots

Started by karmatic1110, May 04, 2008, 01:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Quote from: Nichole on May 06, 2008, 06:17:30 PM

Wearing a "Freudian" slip today, tekla?  :laugh: :laugh:

There's a special on them this week! They're really cute  ;)  :laugh:

Quote from: Nichole on May 07, 2008, 10:54:44 AM
Ms. Brain is quite a wonderful and thought-provoking "girl geek." And she, personally, is an extraordinarily nice woman. Now, if her politics didn't remind me so much of Irving Kristol's she be pretty much perfect.

But, for someone who had a biological transition about three years ago and knew nothing about TS/IS when she started her learning curve has been extraordinary. Zoe is definitely a real deal on a multitude of levels.

Zoe Brain's blog post from today is the source of Lisbeth's quote, and has more information about the others on the committee https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,34545.0.html

Z
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Shana A

Quote from: redfish the posthuman on May 07, 2008, 02:12:54 PM
That blog post is most excellent, but it leaves something to be desired...as in...

...what are we supposed to do about such a thing?

Heck, if people protest, I'd probably be game to join. There's too much on the line to leave such things be.

Queerunity just posted this link http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/05/apa-will-tackle-gender-identity-for-dsm.html for emailing or calling the APA!

Z

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Melissa-kitty

Hi. I just got back from DC, and the annual APA meeting. I was very out as trans there, and had wonderful response from all. I met Jack Drescher, who is on that list, and spent a lot of time with him (about 10 hours). A good man, who I sincerely respect. He has a lot of experience with trans-people, is wise, funny. I'm glad he's there. Peggy I met at the last WPath meeting. A true expert. Compassionate, bright, a leader. A good choice. The others I don't know besides the disasters you mentioned. I met and talked with the past and new head of the APA, who are GLBT friendly. Other groups have "consumers" on their panels. I'm not sure why there can't be trans-folk on the Gender ID panel. I plan on talking more with Nada Stodtland, the new president of APA, and strongly recommending that. Perhaps you all can do the same. Can't hurt! There are a lot of respectable, accomplished trans-professionals who can help our voices be heard! apa@psych.org is the email I have, but will try to get a more direct one. I did a little shameless promoting of myself to be on the panel, but I know there are others better qualified.
Namaste, Tara
  •  

queerunity

peggy will be heading up the GID task force
  •  

Melissa-kitty

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/412001300

Target: public.affairs@apa.org Sponsored by: The Transgender Community On the Task Force, named as Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Chair, we find Dr. Kenneth Zucker, from Torontos infamous Centre for Addictions and Mental Health (CAMH, formerly the Clarke Institute). Dr. Zucker is infamous for utilizing reparative (i.e. ex-gay) therapy to cure gender-variant children. Named to his work group, we find Zuckers mentor, Dr. Ray Blanchard, Head of Clinical Sexology Services at CAMH and creator of the theory of >-bleeped-<, categorized as a paraphilia and defined as a mans paraphilic tendency to be sexually aroused by the thought or image of himself as a woman. Also Dr Ann Lawrence, a supporter of his JUNK SCIENCE.

We, the undersigned hereby object to their inclusion on this committee, and object to the hurtful theories they promote.
In order to have any credibility in the field of gender identity, the DSM must not  include discounted theories or junk science.
  •  

Rachael

•  

NicholeW.

Zucker is chairing the section committee for Disorders of Gender and Sexuality. He's the overall chair of the group-as-a-whole. The section is divided into three areas and the chairs listed above are chairs of the working groups designated for those particular areas.

And, TBH, it looks like the big fight will be between Zucker & Kittinis about tx for children. It's a huge issue as can be seen from the NPR selections about Bradley and Violet in the "News" section.

Blanchard and Drescher will be there to discuss and fight over adults and the brain sex/sexuality etiologies of GID.

My guess is the the Clarke is trying to get their psychoanalytic parameters accepted and their position does look strong, but someone sought some balance in the equation by adding Kittinis and Drescher.

The entire affair helps make sense about the inclusion of Alice Dreger's hatchet-job in Archives of Sexual Behavior and the article by Bailey and Triii in the Johns Hopkins sponsored magazine. They are trying to lay the groundwork.

These people are not going to stop until they win or get staked through the heart. They perceive their arguments, apparently, as "the salvation of society and psychoanalytic psychology." And no matter what you believe about yourself and others transitioning or transitioned what we are seeing is this backlash effort by that group to "put women and men back in order." Late/early, primary/secondary, men/women, women or TS/TG, however you see yourself and however you feel about the others if their views prevail those views ARE going to cut you as well as the other groups.

Short-range thinking like that exhibited in the post on Beyond's thread by Laura Eva that suggested that 'dangerous' autogynephiles can be weeded out of the process don't get to the heart of the matter. In fact they ignore the heart in order to lash out at what the one group perceives somehow as a group that will 'hurt' them getting a comeuppance from the baddies.

The baddies are going after us all and you need to see that. And they are going after women as well as being somehow innately inferior and in need of proper training. Zucker makes no bones about wanting to 'cure' every child who comes through his 'clinic.' And given the SOP of the Clarke I am finding it difficult to make a distinction between he and Blanchard when it comes to HSTS/>-bleeped-<TS.

To think that "this doesn't affect me, just those folks like THAT" is ludicrous in the extreme. It WILL affect you, post-pre-op wherever you find yourself. And if you think this will not affect 'real' women, where you, of course, are going to place yourself, you are deluding yourself. If allowed to be placed into the manual you will see other attempts to rollback thirty years of progress for women, trans men and women and gays and lesbians.

This really does "require" more unity than we have ever had before. It doesn't matter whether you think of yourself as HBS or not. The roots of this run much deeper than many are getting that they, the roots, go.

N~
  •  

Hazumu

I agree with your assessment, it is momentous as Janice Raymond's "Transsexual Empire" or Paul McHugh's successfully raising the bar of what constitutes a successful transition so high that Johns Hopkins shut down their transsexual program.

I have no idea how to make your message more palatable, though.  Some will pooh-pooh it as paranoid thinking.  But a local PFLAG officer and mother of a gay son told me in an interview that she felt the GLBT community would have to have their (our) 'Mississippi burning' and 'Selma, Alabama' before we are allowed by a majority of our society to have civil rights equality.

Listen Here

And we (trans) are the soft spot for the Reich Wing to drive the stake into the LGBT community.  Once they take out trans and start on 'homosexuals', the gays and lesbians may wake up to the danger.  But will they be able to stop the momentum?

Karen
  •  

queerunity

to be optimistic i think that the committee will only do one of two things, either move forward and be progressive on trans issue or remain the same.  i really dont think they will transgress.
  •