Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

meeting...

Started by mickiejr1815, May 20, 2008, 07:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickiejr1815

ok, the boss has told me he has had one on one meetings(about pronouns and effort on their part) with the guys in the shop but no group meeting with them. he asked if i want to be part of that meeting, and to be honest, i don't really know. i kinda want to be there that way if anyone has questions they can ask me, but i also was made the point of that i would be being talked about directly. my manager has given me until next week to decide. i know the decision is ultimately mine, but i would like to know what all you wonderful people think?

Warrior Princess,
Mickie
  •  

Lori

Quote from: Princess Mickie on May 20, 2008, 07:34:45 PM
ok, the boss has told me he has had one on one meetings(about pronouns and effort on their part) with the guys in the shop but no group meeting with them. he asked if i want to be part of that meeting, and to be honest, i don't really know. i kinda want to be there that way if anyone has questions they can ask me, but i also was made the point of that i would be being talked about directly. my manager has given me until next week to decide. i know the decision is ultimately mine, but i would like to know what all you wonderful people think?

Warrior Princess,
Mickie

What do you want? What do you hope is gained in this meeting? Is there somebody in particular you need sorted out? Or the group as a whole??
"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

mickiejr1815

the group as a whole because none of them seem to be putting an effort as when it comes to pronouns. i just feel they see it as an issue that will just soon go away. my service manager tries to say nothing,but i feel that as long as he says nothing they feel they don't have to do anything either. i want to be there and i don't. i want to be able to answer questions if the guys have them i guess you could say in somewhat of a neutral environment as you can get at work. my other service writers and other two immediate bosses, actually do quite well when referring to me, and i've told them if they had questions they are free to ask.....

Warrior Princess,
Mickie
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Princess Mickie on May 20, 2008, 07:34:45 PM

Keep in mind I don't know your situation at all... but with that said I'm wondering if your coworkers know what's really going on? In reading between the lines here, I just keep thinking they aren't getting any clear, solid picture of what your intentions are? Do you know what they've actually been told?

If your boss just told them, "Hey, you gotta call her Mickie from now on, and say 'she' ok?" with no further explanation... it just might not seem "real" to them.

On the other hand, they might take things more seriously if he can tell them, "Mickie is following the medically-accepted process of transitioning to be a female. It's a long process and will take some time to complete. However, she's going to be known as Mickie and a SHE from this day forward. Although we understand it will take time to unlearn old habits with names and pronouns, please make every effort to accomodate and respect her change."

As for attending the meeting, I agree there are pros and cons both ways. Maybe he could talk to them first without you (so they'll feel more free to ask him blunt questions), and later call you in for questions?

For what it's worth, my boss's had me do something rather unique: I spoke with every employee myself, one on one, in 25 or so back-to-back meetings. It was a gamble for sure, as it could have looked like management had "thrown me to the wolves." But their logic was that a big meeting would make it seem like the company was forcing my change on everyone, setting up an atmosphere of confrontation and making it seem like management didn't trust their employees to Do The Right Thing on their own.

And in the end, it worked beautifully. They were each able to ask me anything they wanted without an "audience" making them feel uncomfortable about it, and I could tailor what I said to each person.

Just food for thought ;)

~Kate~
  •  

mickiejr1815

he is still quite elusive on what he has told people other than that i am transitioning from mtf,cause i guess a lot fo "customers" have asked as well, i'm assuming some were former associates i worked with two, i'm working on gathering any useful info to email him since i don't have nay printer ink. i like this and i guess it's what i'm trying to get across: Mickie is following the medically-accepted process of transitioning to be a female. It's a long process and will take some time to complete. However, she's going to be known as Mickie and a SHE from this day forward. Although we understand it will take time to unlearn old habits with names and pronouns, please make every effort to accomodate and respect her change."

and second i guess i kind of like that second idea where i can meet one on one with everyone that i think i should have too and they can ask me questions without an audience. that is definitely something that can be achieved, i'll bring that up to him and see what his thoughts are on that. it is rather unique, but i want people to understand especially that i mean no one any harm and just another one of the girls.

p.s. my store manager is actually doing better with pronouns, so that helps and imo is a step in the right direction....

Mickie
  •