Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

skin, hair, eye colors vs cloth colors

Started by Kendall, July 06, 2006, 01:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kendall

I have posted already a post on face makeup colors, face shapes.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,2051.0.html

That post had a little on cloth colors to wear.

The main info I got that info on is at
1. http://www.saloneastnyc.com/learn/color_chart.html
2. and http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art36502.asp

You can change what colors you have.
But after I posted those posts, I didnt mention about tanning/skin tinting or lightening and hair coloring. Or you can get different color wigs if you wear them. You can also get different color contact lenses. So actually, you can very much influence what colors you can wear best.
  •  

Melissa

I usually pick out my clothing first and then choose my makeup colors to reflect what I'm wearing.  I seem to have a knack for picking colors.  I think it comes from years of doing web design.  There's not really anything scientific about it for me though.

Melissa
  •  

Nero

Interesting.
Coincidentally, the colors that look good on me are the very colors I like to wear.
Although I was a little jealous of a deep purple that wasn't on my list.
I'll wear it anyway, of course.
Thank you for posting this, Kendra. I enjoyed it.

Nero
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Kendall

Yes web design uses colors that look good, as does most art. Any artist with a good sense of color can also use that on people, I think.

•  

Melissa

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what season I am, since I seem to fit several categories.  I have amber eyes, auburn hair and usually look good in the cooler colors, but some of the warmer ones look good too. ???

Melissa
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: wickham_kendra on July 09, 2006, 10:32:57 AM
Yes web design uses colors that look good, as does most art. Any artist with a good sense of color can also use that on people, I think.

Kendra,

What colors would you suggest for me? 

Chaunte
  •  

Kendall

What color are your eyes?

I see you as very Autumn just from the hair and skin colors.

Your skin looks darker than Melissa or mine. Hair is a deep darker color.

•  

Melissa

Could be, but I don't look good in a lot of autumn colors.  My ex is an autumn and she has a bunch of clothes that don't look so good on me.  :-\

Melissa
  •  

Kendall

Oh I meant autumn is Chaunte. You already said you know what colors were good for you naturally.

Your more winter or spring, depending on if you have red in your hair (red = spring, normally irish decent), Winter is normally dark hair fair skin. When tanned Winters can become summer (darker skin, lightened or highlighted hair).

Essentially a person can normally travel along either a

winter <--------->summer
spring <--------->autumn

depending mainly on skin tone and hair tone
  •  

Melissa

I did, but I also said I have no idea what season I am.

Melissa
  •  

Kendall

Color Wheel, color theory and shifting
I have a color wheel I bought for not much,  from an art supply store (almost any should have a similar one) that shows how they get these colors.
Here is an example that has one side http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/Color%20Coordination.htm
Mine has Primary (red, yellow, blue)
            Secondary (orange, green, violet)
            Tertiary (yellow orange, etc)

On one side it has tints (tint, tone, and shade) commonly used in eye shadows, blushes, and clothing to coordinate.
On the other side of the wheel it has each color when mixed with red, yellow, blue, white , and black

A real cool color tool http://colorsontheweb.com/colorwizard.asp
http://colorblender.com/

Season Undertones
The season colors are based on undertones (color mixed into main hue) of skin mainly (what color is glowing, influencing, or mixed in the skin)

The hair just sort of follows the skin, since it is relating to the skin on your face. Clothing is the window frame for your skin, and your hair frames your face. The clothing then follows the skin and hair shift in tone.

sun added to skin of spring adds gold, and sometimes a little red/orange
spring is yellow undertone
autumn is gold, orange undertone

sun added to skin of winter, adds browns and bieges, hair lightens
winter is vivid, clear and icy blue undertones
summer is soft, cool blue undertones

Looking at the sample swatches, you can see the yellows, red/orange, and blue shift in the colors that come from the same hue. Its just adding in the undertone color, that the skin also has. You can take any color and shift it to the undertone color.

Neutrals vs color

Having said all of this, there is still room for neutrals. Everyone should have neutrals. Color is just more enhancing and alive. Color can bring your skin alive, where as neutrals just mute everything into a almost robotic, lifelessness (good for work and offices).

Lights vs darks, emphasize vs de emphasize
Having said the season, then Lighter colors on you will emphasize, darker will de emphasis and shadow. All of where you use colors (lights and darks) depends on what is your most flattering features, shape of body. You dont want to use a bright color on something you want to hide.

Body shape influence on color, clothing shapes and lengths
Also to be taken into account is shapes, cuts, lengths, of clothes.

http://dapples.stores.yahoo.net/yourbodyshape.html
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: wickham_kendra on July 14, 2006, 08:54:38 AM
Oh I meant autumn is Chaunte. You already said you know what colors were good for you naturally.

Your more winter or spring, depending on if you have red in your hair (red = spring, normally irish decent), Winter is normally dark hair fair skin. When tanned Winters can become summer (darker skin, lightened or highlighted hair).

Essentially a person can normally travel along either a

winter <--------->summer
spring <--------->autumn

depending mainly on skin tone and hair tone

Kendra,

I emailed you a few higher resolution images.  I have blue eyes & brown hair.  Nowadays its streaked with gray.  I might do something about that before school begins - along with getting my ears pierced!

Chaunte
  •  

Kendall

Quote from: Chaunte on July 14, 2006, 10:34:24 PM
Kendra,

I emailed you a few higher resolution images.  I have blue eyes & brown hair.  Nowadays its streaked with gray.  I might do something about that before school begins - along with getting my ears pierced!

Chaunte
Madam Chaunte,
Received them and just sent you email back. Definately Autumn. Wrote a little more on what I thought about various things you can read in email. You will love getting your ears pierced.

Quote from: tinkerbell on July 15, 2006, 12:27:48 AM
Hi Kendra:
I've reading your posts all this time...and my dear...I have to say that you do know what you're talking about.  So given that, I have to ask you a few recommendations for my skin tone.  I'm fair skin, have brown eyes, and usually dye my hair dark blonde to cammuflage the grays longer.  Anyhow...I've never been able to find a foundation that matches my skin tone...I mean I've tried to place some on the back of my hand, my wrists, but when I put it on...I just look ghostly (too light) or like I just came back from the fiji islands or something (way too dark)  Any suggestions on how can we find a foundation that matches our skin tone without the need to mix and match or waste money on colors which aren't good enough?  Thank you so much for the links.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
Tinkerbell,
Yes I dont recommend trying it on your wrist or inner forearm. These two places are lighter than facial skin normally. If possible try it on the jaw. Jawline is the best place to try foundation. Or if you can find a patch of skin on your arms with the same hue as your face/jawline.

With TGs though we have the added problem of beard unless electrolysis is further along. Eyeballing is a little hard, since it will shift a little in color when on skin vs in container.

Best you can do if you cant try it on jawline or dont have a similar hue on arm, is to make the best guess.

Ways to guess.
1. hold up container to neck and jaw and try to estimate it.
2. or print out a color chart that has approximately your skin color (color print out) , that you can compare in a mirror, which you can get from like
     http://www.columbiacosmetics.com/foundation_colors.htm

or from almost any makeup company's website (if you like a specific brand)

3. or take a high definition picture of you without makeup and good natural lighting and pull the colors from there.
  •