Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Fashion at workplace

Started by barbie, June 28, 2008, 02:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbie

As summer comes, I have been preparing for summer clothes.

I recently felt that more people at my workplace accept me as a kind of transgender or crossdresser. Negative comments on my appearance greatly reduced. More people joke me on my feminine appearance. Some call me as lady.

Nevertheless, I am still careful in choosing my clothes at workplace. Outside, it does not make any problem whether I wear skirts or heels. I hope to make me look more professional while still feminine at workplace. Lady's suits would be a solution.

I also sometimes deliver lectures or present my works to the public. I mostly wear men's suits in these occasions, but sometimes I chose androgynous but unfashionable clothes, making a fuss among inviters. About a month ago, one guy asked me to present a lecture and I accepted it. He then begged me to wear 'proper' clothes during the lecture because some celebrities will also come. I said yes.

Choosing stylish clothes looking feminine and professional is a new challenge to me. Yesterday I tried to wear this way like the photo below.

Not so much stylish. Yesterday I purchased a lady's jacket for formal dress. Typical formal dresses for lady are absurdly expensive and I can not afford to buy them. I searched internet and I could find this cheapest one at about US $30.

I am thinking wearing this summer jacket with black capris and flat sandals during the lecture. Of course with neck tie like the model.

Any suggestion or story on this matter?

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

offthesidewalk

my suggestion would be not to wear the neck tie like the model does. rather wear a scarf to get a similar look- but a loose tie may look unprofessional imho.
  •  

barbie

Thanks, Eloise.

I may have to wear a tight necktie like men's.

The jacket I got was different from that in the photo, but anyway it is fine because it is half-sleeved. Tomorrow I will try black capris with black flat sandals at my workplace. I will ask other women here about my new fashion.

It is Sunday and I tried to wear it just ago.

I did not wear a bra, but it looked to me that I did. Extra bonus.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

offthesidewalk

capri pants with sandals might look ok, but not along with that jacket. I'm just afraid that the short sleeves of both the jacket and the pants might make it look as if your clothes are too small...

your bosses meaning of 'proper' clothes... did he mean not too feminine? Lol. just a little confuzled about that. Hehe
  •  

barbie

Thanks, Eloise for your comments.

It's Monday, and I wear like as the below:

No bad comments from my colleagues. My close female friend commented that I have better wear more tight capris. The capris above is for 29-inch as I wanted more comfort ones. Tomorrow I will wear 27-inch capris. I may purchase long and tight pants as you suggested. Male colleagues commented that the jacket is at least better than my tight shirts, which usually explose my navel in summer. Most people here at my workplace know that I am a kind of transgender, but the problem is when I go outside to attend a meeting or a conference.

I usually enjoy exposing my belly in summer.

And this kind of summer clothes sometimes cause a problem at my workplace, and could be serious. I refrain from wearing like this at my workplace. They may want that my fashion is not for sexual appeal at all.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

tekla

I always thought it was called business drag for a reason, in that its a kind of costume in its own way, according to its own rules.

I know fashion is local, and it differs from place to place, but I always thought that pants, for men or woman had to come all the way down, skirts to the knee or below.  The word that comes to mind for female fashion in the business world is "severe."  A scarf might add a splash of color the same way a tie does for guys.  But other than that, black and gray suits with white or blue shirts is the entire rainbow.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

barbie

Thanks, telka.

Long trousers seem to be a must in formal dress. And Trousers + Heels is a formula in women's fashion, IMHO. I do wish to wear bootcut trousers, but I found that they do not match with my flat sandals. High heels are a kind of taboo for a crossdresser in workplace.

Capris + flat sandals is a kind of compromise to me, although it is not so much fashionable. I know limitations, and I am not allowed to enjoy what most women can do.

I am not quite sure whether people in my workplace will accept my wearing heels everyday or even in occasional meetings outside  :-\

Anyway thanks for nice tips on formal dress.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

SarahFaceDoom

Just get a pant suit.  I think the bootcut will look fine.  But you should get the jacket that is a little more fitted in the waist.  You could also just look at what your co-workers are wearing and sort of mirror them.  A good pair of pants with a cute top and some nice shoes are really all you need.  I usually just wear that or a skirt when I have to dress business formal.

•  

barbie

Yes. What I need is nice shoes for bootcut. Shoes is so important in women's fashion. I am thinking purchasing one pair in the U.S. this summer. Typical maximum women's shoe size here is just 255 mm (ca. US size 8). I wear US size 10 (265 mm). Business-style would be prefect.

Barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

Suzy

Barbie,

I think it's fantastic that you can wear those clothes at work!  As hard as it is, you must have a very accepting occupation.

That jacket will go a long way for you.  There is so much you will be able to do with it.  I'm not sure I like it with shorts, but I think a nice A-line skirt about knee length in a contrasting color would look fantastic with it. 

BTW, the sandals look really comfy!

Kristi
  •  

barbie

Thanks Kristi,

Wearing a skirt at my work place would be another challenge to both me and my colleagues here. I never did it at this work place because I remember negative responses after I wore skirts in my previous work place in the U.S. It affected my professional career. Sigh~

However, I once wore high heels at my work place, and nowadays nearly nobody at my work place seems to be interested in my fashion. Today I wear a new tee, but I complained that nobody comments on it.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •