Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Government sponsored discrimination

Started by nickie, April 24, 2008, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickie

Hello from Pinellas County, the most populous in Florida, and one of the most backward counties in the USA. Recently our board of county commissioners read an amendment to the county's HRO for sexual orientation only. That is NOT what was presented to them. The commission had the County attorney remove gender identity and expression from the wording. They are afraid of us, and potential damage to their political careers. The right wind religious nut wings, not expecting a turnout of Trans and Trans advocates, shot themselves in the foot by calling gays and lesbians "sexual deviants". The Commissioners took offense. The Trans and our advocates spoke. There were almost twice as many non trans speaking in our favor as there were Trans people. I invited, even begged, implored about 3 dozen or so Trans people from this county to appear. 7 showed up. I am not very happy with my community, but the non-Trans advocates brought tears to my eyes with their incredible support. Some of the commissioners acted surprised, as if they had no idea that any Trans people lived in their county. (I, along with several people, sent them each emails before the hearing) They refused to add us back into it, and voted the gays, lesbians and bis (I don't get this one) in, and "promised" to study our situation for 6 weeks and come back. Do you folks know the average time it takes for a government to "come back" for us when we get left out? 14 years! We have some serious work to do, and realize that we aren't doing it for ourselves (we are almost all over 50) we are doing it for the kids here now, who are afraid of the govt. and for the generations to come. But do this we must! Please pray for our success, even as we pray for the success of Trans people in MD. Thanks for you support!
  •  

Hypatia

Quote from: nickie on April 24, 2008, 08:06:54 PMSome of the commissioners acted surprised, as if they had no idea that any Trans people lived in their county.
Yeah, now that they got rid of Susan Stanton. "What? You mean there's more than one?"
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

gennee

Thanks for the update, Nickie. I will keep up to date on happenings there. Kind of sad that more trans people didn't show up but it shows that some non-trans folks understand our plight.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Lisbeth

This is the new post-ENDA landscape.  For seven years prior to ENDA, every bill was passed with transgender included.  It is going to take years to undo the damage that Barney Frank and HRC did to us.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

gennee

Quote from: Lisbeth on April 27, 2008, 07:44:51 PM
This is the new post-ENDA landscape.  For seven years prior to ENDA, every bill was passed with transgender included.  It is going to take years to undo the damage that Barney Frank and HRC did to us.

You're right, Lisbeth. HRC should never speak for us again. I really want to know how Barney Frank came to his conclusion about ENDA? He's waaaay off base.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

nickie

As it stands, the adviser on human rights to the Commission has asked that gender identity be included, and so has the County Attorney. Trans activist Janice Carney and attorney Karen Doering met with them this week, and it looks good so far. The Commission has asked to interview Trans people behind closed doors one at at time to hear their discrimination stories, and I have volunteered to be one of them.
  •  

NicholeW.

I'm really impressed with your committment, Nickie. I think it's great. I also agree with Lisbeth that the whole ENDA fiasco and the posturing and CYOAing of Barney Frank since has definitely given governments an 'out' when it comes to inclusion of transgenders in discrimination legislation, at all levels.

It's people like you who will eventually turn that tide.

Hugs,

Nichole
  •  

Hypatia

That's so awesome, Nickie, thanks for standing up for all of us. You're taking a few more bricks out of our Berlin Wall.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

nickie

Well, we got screwed... again. After promising to give us a hearing when we were tossed out of the original language to amend the County's HRO, the Commission suddenly called a meeting in the middle of the day, on Tuesday, so that we couldn't get off work, or change plans and show up. They didn't let anyone who did show up speak. They voted 3-3, one absent (who was visibly uncomfortable around us, claiming after he had listened to several of us talk for an hour (in the first hearing in April), that he "Didn't know what a transgender (sic) was"; not to give us a hearing toward being included. I sent the Chairman, who spoke out against us most vehemently, this email: "Thanks for showing your true colors, displaying discrimination. I cant wait for the next election." Janice Carney stated that "I totally feel that they don't feel I am a human being." Pinellas County is a backwoods, redneck, smalltime county, in my opinion, and I can't wait to have the money to move somewhere friendly. They don't give a damn how many of us are homeless, commit suicide, or are murdered because we are on the streets for lack of housing and jobs.
  •