Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

gayromeo and online dating sites in general

Started by Elincubus, June 02, 2008, 05:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elincubus

Well, I've never done something like this before, but I was thinking about giving this whole online dating stuff a try. It can't be worse than trying to met somebody as pre-transition FTM in my little backwater hometown... ;)

So basically, I would like to hear about your experiance with these sites and maybe some tips.

Another question would be if it's better to mention the trans stuff right away or later when you got to know each other. And should you really put it right in your profile or just mention it?

I really have no experiance at all in that respect and would appreciate any experiances you can share. :)
  •  

Scratchy Wilson

Tried the internet thing for a bit, didn't really dig it. It's really hard to not be able to see someone, touch them, smell them, kiss them and try to hold a relationship with them.
  •  

Jamie-o

Someone gave me this site that is specifically for FtMs and their admirers.  I haven't had a chance to really check it out, so it may be full of creepy >-bleeped-<->-bleeped-<s, and I don't know how international it is, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  http://ftmloveconnections.ftmworld.net/V3Profiles/

As far as when to tell... I dunno.  I keep going back and forth about that as well.  From what I hear, most of the time if you tell before they get a chance to know you, they say, "Well, thanks, but no thanks." and move on.  (Unless they're into FtMs.) 

The danger of announcing it in the ad is that you might draw people who are more interested in what you are than in who you are.  But, at least they can't complain that you were dishonest with them. 

The guys I've heard from who have been successful in finding a relationship seem to have dated the person for a while, then told them after they were hooked (but before getting intimate, obviously.)  The danger in this scenario, of course, is that they might get angry and accuse you of deceiving them.  That's where we FtMs have it easier, I think, than MtFs, since neither women nor gay men are as apt to become violent when they find out.  :) 

Not the kind of 1st hand advice you were looking for, I realize, but I hope it helped.  :-\

EDIT:  I just got around to checking out the link above, and it's pretty dead, and badly set up, so don't bother.  :icon_no:
  •  

Elincubus

@Jamie-o
I've heard about sites especially for ftm (or for mtf), but besides the >-bleeped-<->-bleeped-<s that might lurk there, that's not really an option for me anyway, because with specialized sites like that I don't think more than half a dozend people from my whole country would be there... ;)

Quote from: Jamie-o on June 03, 2008, 04:36:11 PM
The danger of announcing it in the ad is that you might draw people who are more interested in what you are than in who you are.  But, at least they can't complain that you were dishonest with them. 

The guys I've heard from who have been successful in finding a relationship seem to have dated the person for a while, then told them after they were hooked (but before getting intimate, obviously.)  The danger in this scenario, of course, is that they might get angry and accuse you of deceiving them.
I know what you mean. There is no real solution to this--it comes down to be lucky enough to pick the right time to tell that certain person...
I've taken a look a gayromeo, though, because I've heard it meantioned rather often in more local forums. I have found that there are at least more guys my age from my area than I tought. Most of them are registered as bisexual which is probably best for a transsexual person because the person can't feel threaded in their sexual identity just by your existance...
Most of them are looking for friends as well as relationships, so I think I could chat a bit with them and see if this works for me. The problems Scratchy Wilson mentioned wouldn't really be a problem because the ones I took a look at are all from my town or surroundings. :)
  •  

Jamie-o

Quote from: Elincubus on June 03, 2008, 05:33:58 PM
@Jamie-o
I've heard about sites especially for ftm (or for mtf), but besides the >-bleeped-<->-bleeped-<s that might lurk there, that's not really an option for me anyway, because with specialized sites like that I don't think more than half a dozend people from my whole country would be there... ;)

Yeah, I figured that would be an issue.   :)

Quote from: Elincubus on June 03, 2008, 05:33:58 PM
I've taken a look a gayromeo, though, because I've heard it meantioned rather often in more local forums. I have found that there are at least more guys my age from my area than I tought. Most of them are registered as bisexual which is probably best for a transsexual person because the person can't feel threaded in their sexual identity just by your existance...

Yes, there was another thread here a couple months ago about FtMs dating guys, and that was the consensus - Bi guys are apparently much cooler about it for the most part.  I may have to check out this GayRomeo site (or something similar) myself.  I probably ought to wait until I pass a little better, though.  :D
  •  

queerunity

I have chatted with a few f2m's on some dating sites, never gone out with one but am totally open to it.

I have had success with online dating and i recommend the following sites:

for all f2m's, m2f's regardless of orientation:
http://www.okcupid.com
http://www.glee.com

for gay/bi f2m's:
http://www.lovetastic.com
http://www.connexion.org
  •  

sneakersjay

After my divorce and before I accepted my ftm status, I used online dating sites to find men to date.  I found that the majority were only looking for one thing  - sex.  I can only imagine that dating sites geared to ftms/mtfs etc will be the same way, now with the >-bleeped-< >-bleeped-<s, etc.

Two months ago or so as a new ftm and totally pre-transition I joined a bunch of yahoo groups, one geared toward dating.  I've since dropped out of it, but I still get people IMing me wanting to 'chat' but they really want is dirty talk etc.  I had to block one yesterday after he/she wouldn't tell me what they wanted and wouldn't take NO for an answer.

So now I'm ultra-leary of any online dating sites.

When I finally start to date I'll be looking for a real relationship and someone who loves me for me, not just someone who likes me because I'm ftm.

Jay

•