Transgender rights run into foes like 'Not My Shower'

Started by Shana A, June 13, 2008, 09:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Transgender rights run into foes like 'Not My Shower'

June 13, 2008

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/1003906,CST-NWS-trans13.article

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- As more state and local governments extend anti-bias protections to transgender people, fierce opposition is surfacing.

In Colorado, conservatives contend a new state law will enable sexual predators to frequent women's bathrooms; in Maryland a ''Not My Shower'' campaign seeks to overturn a comparable county law.

Though frustrated by the resistance, and insistent that the alarms are unfounded, transgender-rights activists are heartened by an overall trend toward greater protection under the law.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

tekla

What it really means it that the opposition is not there like it used to be.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

RebeccaFog

yeah.  When joints like colorado even contemplate trans rights, then there has been a shift in the pair o' dimes.
  •  

Sheila

I would hope that most health clubs would at least put in private shower stalls for their people. I think that the public showers should be outlawed anyway. There are a lot of people who are very self conscience of showering with others, not to mention, with the same gender. There are a lot of health reasons, too.
Sheila
  •  

Mnemosyne

I have only belonged to one gym that had a huge, open shower area but then it had been around for a very long time. Around me most of the newer gyms have small stalls with a curtain and even hooks to hang some clothing.
  •  

mickie88

oddly enough, when i went to high school, they still had the open shower in the guys locker room, i'm sure it was probably quite different in the girls. but none of the guys EVER showered after PE. and of course, i didn't even participate, every time i tried i usually ended up fist fighting with someone, both sexes. i'm with Sheila, open showers should be outlawed everywhere including military establishments, it is unsanitary.

Warrior Princess Mickie
  •