Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Letter Requirments

Started by ANewMe, June 08, 2008, 12:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANewMe

Firstly I would like to apologize as I'm sure this question has been beat to death on this forum. Unfortunately I've been unable to find a clear answer to my questions. Can anyone tell me exactly what my SRS Letter(s) should contain? I assume it should have information like how long I've been seeing my shrink, how long on HRT, when I started RLE and perhaps a statement saying that my therapist recommends me as a good candidate for surgery, but should it include anything else?

Thanks,
Holly
  •  

lisagurl

Your doctor knows what to say. Some just say you are sane enough to know what you are doing.
  •  

Kate

Quote from: ANewMe on June 08, 2008, 12:09:24 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what my SRS Letter(s) should contain?

It's entirely up to your surgeon. Most will send you an information packet explaining what they want to see in a letter.

~Kate~
  •  

ANewMe

Thanks for the info Kate (I'll just email the surgeon for an information packet).

lisagurl, I doubt that my Doctor would know exactly what he should put in the letter. Since there were no local therapists that specialize in GID, I choose to work with a Dr. that was caring and understanding. He has helped me a great deal over the years even though he's not an "expert" in GID. At each step along the way I've given a great deal of input into my therapy. I'm not saying that he just goes along with me and everything that I want but he does generally want some input and guidance. Since I've been seeing him for several years and have been doing the RLE for the last 18 months I'm sure he'll have plenty to say, it's just a matter of what are the key elements that he should be including.

Thanks again,
Holly
  •  

lisagurl

Holly

Many surgeons just want to know that your therapist is aware and has no objections. The letter always has contact information if there are further questions. My letter was 3 sentences.
  •  

ANewMe

Quote from: lisagurl on June 09, 2008, 02:19:57 PM
Holly

Many surgeons just want to know that your therapist is aware and has no objections. The letter always has contact information if there are further questions. My letter was 3 sentences.

Really, wow I guess I'm just over-thinking it a bit. It's just now that I'm getting so close I don't want aything to hang stuff up. I guess I'll just leave it to the Doctors to deal with each other then.

Thanks,
Holly
  •  

MaggieB

I just got my letter today and it is a full page, single spaced, including my trans history and the therapists assessment of my GID diagnosis. There is also a disclaimer about the controversy about GID and a revised meaning as it should be applied. More like my problems stem from dealing with gender issues rather than I am mental. All in all it was a very good letter and it was OKed by a local gender task force of professionals. Interestingly, I am to get a second one from one of these therapists too after I meet with him one time. I'll have three letters at that time. One from my physician, that I have already and these two.

Maggie

•