News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Empire State Equality and Justice Day - April 29

Started by Chaunte, May 03, 2008, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaunte

Equality and Justice Day

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 join hundreds of New Yorkers who will be traveling to Albany to help win marriage equality, transgender non-discrimination protections, safe schools for LGBT youth, and more funding for our community's health and human services needs.
http://www.prideagenda.org/OurPrograms/EqualityandJusticeDay/tabid/127/Default.aspx

Posted on: February 07, 2008, 08:14:12 PM
Equality & Justice day brought over 1,300 members of the LGBT community from across NYS to Albany. 

The rally in front of the legislators' office building went well.  We were loud enough to where I saw people in the building looking out their windows to see what was going on.  There were a number of TV cameras, but I didn't find any video clips on the web - at least not yet.

The legislators I met with were only partially receptive to the legislation we were pushing for.  Dignity for All Students was more easily swallowed by the Republicans we met with.  One supported and the other, as he learned more, was starting to reconsider his position. 

GENDA (Gender Expression Non Discrimination Act) had opposition.  If nothing else, both legislators now have a constituant's face to go with the bill they are opposing.  One legislator, however, has been working behind the scenes to help the transgender community.  While party politics may prevent him from supporting GENDA, he is putting together inclusive legislation that would protect an even greater number of people.

Marriage Equality was a "non-starter."  However, one legislator did say that he would support a Civil Union bill where all 1300+ laws, rights and benefits that married partners receive would be included and covered.  Maybe it's me, but it sounded like a compromise point that could work. 

I joined one group going into see a state senator to talk about transgender issues.  The lead speaker opened by telling the aide that last year they only had 3 people, but promised to be back with more.  By the time the meeting was over, we were 16 people strong.

I'll be back next year to show the flag.
  •  

gennee

It seems that some in-roads were made, Chaunte. I still believe that many legislators don't understand what being transgender really is. If it's possible maybe I will make the trek next year. I appplaud you and the group for your efforts.

GENNEE

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

queerunity

•  

Renate

I was at the Equality & Justice Day, too.
I had a chance to lobby both my assembly member and senator.
I hope that relating my personal story of discrimination that I experienced had some positive effect.
Of course, both of my legislative representatives were already co-sponsors of GENDA.

On April 24, 2007 (note: over a year ago), GENDA cleared the Government Operations Committee.
It still needs to clear the Codes Committee and the Rules Committee before it gets to a floor vote.
This is a very slow process. Cynical people might say that there is very little impetus behind it, just like the ENDA.
  •  

Chaunte

Em & I bumped into each other out of sheer luck.  Next year, we need to find a place where we can gather and meet each other face to face!

It would be a way cool image for us to share with everyone.

Think of the presence we coule make!  The lot of us against the NY State Legislature. 
Personally, I think the odds are in out favor! ;)

Chaunte

(It would be an adventure to tell you children and grandchildred!  And mightily bored they'll be!  :D )
  •  

queerunity

chaunte wouldnt it be nice to tell kids about how we lobbied for equality and they say why, there is equality what a waste of time.  oh how i hope they dont understand.
  •  

Renate

To update and correct my previous post on the New York State GENDA...

Apparently the committee reviews of GENDA happen in parallel.
GENDA passed the Government Operations Committee on April 30th.
GENDA passed the Assembly Codes Committee on May 20th.
It is now ready for an Assembly floor vote.
  •  

queerunity

how likely is this to pass in the assembly and when would it be introduced>?
  •  

Chaunte

I think it has a reasonable chance to pass the Assembly.

However...

The Senate, which is a Republican majority, is not a sure thing.  Indeed, I am not sure Senate Majority Leader Bruno would ever let the bill see the Senate floor.

Chaunte
  •  

queerunity

I am glad to hear about the assembly.  Joseph Bruno is an ass I doubt he would let GENDA see the light of day.
  •  

HelenW

I had the pleasure, that day, of not only having the opportunity to lobby my state representatives but, as Chaunte mentioned, I got to get some real live hugs from her and also from Renate!

I found the day to be tiring and frustrating and empowering and wonderful all rolled into one.  If I can possibly manage it, I'll be there again next year.  I think I'll be looking back on that day as one of the watershed moments of my RLE.

The State Assembly has a good chance of passing GENDA (Gender Non Discrimination Act) now that the Assembly leadership has allowed it to move forward.  GENDA has more cosponsors than the marriage equality act that they passed last year.  The Senate is close - only 2 seats I believe - to having a Democratic majority which would remove Joe Bruno from his spot as the majority leader.  Getting those seats away from the bigots is the best chance we have to get GENDA to progress.  I don't think it was coincidence that GENDA was voted out of committee the day after we were there.  Kudos to all those in the LGB community who supported us and double kudos to the trans people who, I'm sure, made the real difference.

If you live in NY, take some time to visit your assembly and senate representatives to ask them about GENDA this summer when they are on break (don't forget to call first and make an appointment).  Hearing directly from people who are willing to identify themselves as trans will make a huge difference.  Even if you are stealth or not yet transitioned, going there to ask them to support GENDA will go far.  You don't have to tell them you're trans to make an impact.

Who knows, by next year we might actually have equal rights in NYS!

hugs & smiles
Emelye
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

queerunity

Emelye don't forget that allies can also petition their legislators, always effective as well and sometimes more so.
  •  

Chaunte

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
:eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:

The Gender Employment Non Discrimination Act passed this evening by an overwhelming margin!

I posted a link in the News section.

•