Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

what stores TG friendly?

Started by jerigurl, October 04, 2007, 02:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerigurl

i live in the north bay area and were wondering about where to shop... i have heard that victoria's secret seems to be TG friendly... anyone care to comment...?  i am looking to shop for lingerie and the like... can't do it online.
  •  

tarasita

Please excuse my ignorance, but why does a store have to be TG friendly? What does that mean anyway? Is this an American phenomenon? What happens if you go to a store that is not "TG friendly", will they refuse to serve you?

Why can you not shop online?

Sorry for not answering your question but this intrigues me.
  •  

tinkerbell

Let's seeeee....according to the HRC, we have:

Nike, Inc
Walgreens
Abercrombie & Fitch Co.
Best Buy Co. Inc.
Nordstrom Inc.
Victoria Secret
Costco Wholesale Corp.
Estee Lauder Companies
Gap Inc
Hallmark Cards Inc.
J.C. Penney Co. Inc.
Levi Strauss & Co.
Liz Claiborne Inc.
Loehmann's Holdings, Inc.
Macy's Inc.
Sears Corp.
Toys 'R' Us Inc.
Walt Disney Co.

I'm sure there are many more, but of course you will always find bigots everywhere, even in these places...

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Autumn

Quote from: tarasita on October 04, 2007, 02:56:42 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but why does a store have to be TG friendly? What does that mean anyway? Is this an American phenomenon? What happens if you go to a store that is not "TG friendly", will they refuse to serve you?

Why can you not shop online?

Sorry for not answering your question but this intrigues me.

I more or less got removed from a Ross because the employee thought I was a woman causing problems by using the mens' dressing room, and a man wanted his son to change clothes. The words "Ma'am, I'm a man" didn't spring to lip because, well, I've kind of distanced myself from such statements in the past few years. It was very surreal. I wasn't even trying to present as a woman. It was a scummy, run down store anyway. So much for (c)Ross Dress for Less.

TG friendly meaning you'd not be hassled by the employees or forced to take your spring gown across the store to the mens' department to try it on.

And maybe in your country clothes magically fit, but over here, it's not very easy ><
  •  

Desire

I tend to shop at the larger department stores. I especially like Macy's and Nordstrom. I believe the sales people work on commision and they don't seem to care who might be wearing their clothing. Some Nordstrom stores even have what they call personal shoppers who help you find what you need. I find they are very T friendly when you present the membership (credit) card. Don't be shy and give em a chance....actually very fun. Take a gg friend the first time for support if you think you need it.

des
  •  

rondagaus

I love jc penny and victorias secret.  Have been treated like royalty in both.
  •  

Ms Jessica

I shop at the following places:
Kohl's Department Stores-- there are pretty much no dressing room attendants, so if you want to try stuff on, just grab what you want, and find yourself an open cubicle.  I've never been hassled in a Kohl's.  I've bought dresses, skirts, blouses, even shoes. 

More recently, I've been shopping at Victoria's Secret.  The girls there are always nice.  It's intimidating at first, but I'm on a first name basis with a couple of the salesgirls at my local.  I went in the other day, said I wanted a bra, and without batting an eye, it was "alright, let's get you measured and into a dressing room to try some things on".  Easy.  No problem.  A second girl that was helping me in the dressing room was a little hesitant at first, but by the end of it, she was totally cool.  Wrote down the bra styles that I liked and that fitted me best. 

I can also recommend Skechers for shoes.  Go in the store, grab what you like and ask for it in your size.  Assuming your shoe size is 11 or less.  I got a great pair of sneakers this past weekend.  Tried on like 4 different pairs.  No big deal.

The makeup counter at my local Macy's is also great.  The Estee Lauder girl is fantastic, helps me out with foundation, all sorts of stuff.  Always friendly whenever I'm in the store, even if I'm not buying anything. 

I've also got a MAC store nearby for makeup, and the girls in there are always nice.  I tell them I want eyeshadow for myself.  They ask what color.  I say I'm not sure.  I'm willing to try a few things.  I ask for suggestions, tell them what I wear, and they try and come up with ideas.  They'll put a little on, and you can see how it looks.  The great part about that is that you're not paying $20 for makeup you'll put on at home, realize it doesn't work for you, and you toss it.  In these situations, I think it's important to be honest.  By letting the salespeople know that I'm buying this for myself, I can benefit from the advice and experience they have helping out people with similar skin tone/eye color/whatever. 

The Body Shop-- salespeople are friendly, willing to let you try lotions, whatever.  Their stuff is great, even if it is a little expensive. 

Of course, your mileage with certain stores may vary.  I'm in southern California, and I doubt that I draw as much attention as I might in a place like rural Arkansas.  In the bay area, I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding friendly places.  My only other bit of experiential advice is to consider avoiding population dense areas if you don't think you can pass.  I avoid the malls on Friday night because I don't pass.  If I go on a Saturday afternoon, no problem.  The stores usually aren't as busy, either so I can shop at my own pace. 
  •  

NicholeW.

What stores are TG friendly? The one's that want your money. Even Wal-mart can be.

N~
  •  

Ms Jessica

Quote from: Nichole on June 19, 2008, 12:32:43 PM
What stores are TG friendly? The one's that want your money. Even Wal-mart can be.

N~

Exactly.  It's very bad business sense for any store nowadays to turn down customers willing to pay for goods or services, regardless of a person's personal prejudice.  I also get the sense that sales clerks usually don't get paid enough money to care much one way or the other.  With every retail job I ever had, I could care less if a guy was buying women's clothing, or whatever, as long as he wasn't being a pita. 
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Jessica L. on June 19, 2008, 05:46:43 PM
as long as he wasn't being a pita. 
I guess I'm still not all that up on chatspeak, because I thought at first you meant the flatbred.

In this case, "pita" means "pain in the a$$," right?

NicholeW.

O, now I get it!! All I could think of was the flatbread as well!! :laugh:

Thanks, Shades.

N~
  •  

Ms Jessica

sorry.  yeah.
:)
flatbread!
lol!
  •  

tekla

I have been window shopping for a few months now for a couple of new dresses for the weddings I have invites too.  One formal (If black is good for a funeral, it ought to work double for a wedding) and one more 'outdoors-sey' and casual.  I got great help.  After I made my choices I went to Macy's to try them on and get the sizing right and the sales-people there were, as always, beyond awesome.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •