Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Reluctant to change therapists while F/T

Started by Dora, July 08, 2008, 01:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dora

Hi everyone,

I am a F/T MTF currently living in a small mid-western town. Even though my transition here has gone smoothly (more so then I would have ever dreamed!) I have decided to move to a large city 4 hours away to take advantage of the gender support groups, better job selection, closer to family etc. Among my top concerns is changing doctors and therapists. Living in a small town, I literally had to train my therapist in GID issues with papers, books, videos etc. Fortunately, she immersed herself in it as if she were back in school again. She has been very supportive and I would probably not be where I am today if it wasn't for her guidance. My HRT is also from a local doctor who likewise, I had to bring her up to speed on HRT for transsexuals issues.

I am thinking of staying with the the support here and just see them once a month or so as I am very reluctant to change therapists and doctors at this stage of the game. However, I can't help to feel that maybe it would behoove me to seek people who have gender training. Still, to start completely over again seems counter-productive, not to mention costly.

Another factor to consider, I wonder if when it comes time for the surgery if letters from small town therapists and doctors carry the same weight with GRS surgeons as with letters from therapists and doctors who are trained in GID matters?

Dora
  •  

NicholeW.

Hi, Dora,

I don't think that the letters will be checked by the surgeons to make sure they come from someone with a specialized gender-practice or from a small town therapist and physician. That one is trained and follows the guidelines sent by the surgeon, normally in a packet of pre-surgical instructions, etc you shouldn't have any problem. The requirements the surgeon expects will be delineated pretty plainly. As long as the therapist will simply state that she doesn't find you suffering from any psychotic disorder that makles your desire to have gential surgery pathological and possibly harmful you'll be fine.

Most surgeons I am aware of will also require a second letter confirming the diagnosis of the first. The second letter is normally required to be from a licensed psychiatrist or clinical psychologist. From what you've said that may be problematic if you were going to need the papers delivered by next week.

I would expect that your therapist has at least one qualified psychologist or psychiatrist in her networking lists who will be willing to do a one-time session with you in order to verify the therapist's confirmation that you are not psychotic.

It's an excellent question, or series of questions, to ask, but I would say you will have no problems at all. Just make sure that you ask that sort of question when you contact the surgeon's office initially so if there are complications you'll have plenty of lead-time to get the problem in-hand.

:icon_hug:

Nichole

•  

Dora

Nichole,

Thank you for the information. I was thinking that the the surgeon was looking for an in-depth report, but it makes sense to leave that to the therapists. It's probably not a rubber stamp deal either, but I think I will be fine with my current doctors. Along with my therapist, I do have a psychiatrist and a psychologist on-board and all are willing to write the letter now (I am waiting for at least 2 years for the SRS). I have reached the stage where further sessions is really not needed so an occasional checkup now then should be sufficient to meet any requirements. Thanks again! -Dora
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Dora on July 10, 2008, 06:16:46 PM
I have reached the stage where further sessions is really not needed so an occasional checkup now then should be sufficient to meet any requirements.

Just make sure you and your therapist are on the same page as to the session frequency needed to meet those requirements. Trust me on this ;)

~Kate~
  •  

Dora

Quote from: Kate on July 10, 2008, 09:18:26 PM
Quote from: Dora on July 10, 2008, 06:16:46 PM
I have reached the stage where further sessions is really not needed so an occasional checkup now then should be sufficient to meet any requirements.

Just make sure you and your therapist are on the same page as to the session frequency needed to meet those requirements. Trust me on this ;)

~Kate~

Will do Kate, and thanks for the heads up. -Dora
  •