Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I have some of the greatest friends

Started by DeValInDisguise, July 06, 2008, 03:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeValInDisguise

My wife and I are involved with the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) group for a number of years, and specifically with our local group for about two years.  Our local group is a good bunch of people.  Several times a year we get together at one house on a holiday weekend and camp out.  I had been meaning to come out to them for several weeks now, but never had the opportunity and had decided this was going to be the time.

Originally I had been pretty confident about their reactions, but thanks to a bad situation a week ago that confidence was shot.  But it had to be done.  I'm on hormones, things are changing and some of these people see me once a month so they'll notice changes.

The reactions were great.  They ranged from "Oh really?  That's cool." to "Here's my new cell phone number.  If there's anything I can do to help you call me anytime, day or night." to "You realize this means I'm now going to flirt with you too."  I also answered the requisite billion and a half questions throughout the weekend.  And even with coming out and answering the questions I was more relaxed there than I had been anywhere else except my own house in about 25 years.

By the end of the weekend the only people I didn't tell were the kids, but that's because I figure the parents can handle that the best.

Val, still crying happy tears.

•  

sneakersjay

•  

cindybc

Hi, but of course COOL Val. It's another step in becoming your true self. I do pray that all keeps ging well with your progress towards your target gender.

Cindy
  •  

Alex

That's so nice to read, thankyou for sharing it!
  •  

Mnemosyne

The SCA people I know are pretty open and moderately insane which, of course, makes them the best sort of people to have around.

Congrats! :)
  •  

cindybc

"Woo, hooo," now this could be a neat topic. Let us just say I did have a few nut cases for friends when I was younger and one thing about nutty people is they have a way more open mind and will believe in the weirdest things that most stiffs out there wouldn't dare to think about. and they were a lot of fun to be with.

Cindy
  •  

Flo

That is such a great story. Just came out today to someone and it went very well.  People do care sometimes!

Sitting here happy myself.  First time in weeks.

Flo
Never to old to find peace of mind...but time moves quickly
  •  

cindybc

Hi  Flo welcome aboard, and please do join the rest of us peasants in steerage.  ;D Yea some people can be nice when they want to be. I would like to take them home for pets but Wing Walker won't allow me to. ;D

Cindy
  •  

DeValInDisguise

An update on my friends.  I met with another friend on Tuesday for dinner so I could tell him.  As soon as I did he started chuckling, but not in a bad way.  He told me "When you said there was something you needed to tell me face to face, I thought it was one of two things.  One, that you had won the lottery and were moving away.  Or two, that you were having sexual reassignment surgery."

He was the absolute best to come out to!  When towards the end I told him that the next time we met he'd see Val (meaning that's how I'd be presenting) he just calmed said "I already see Val".  He then teared up because he was so happy and proud for me.  (On a side note, I understand now why Mike was always getting the girls.)

Val
  •  

NicholeW.

Quote from: Val on December 15, 1999, 05:24:13 PM
... (On a side note, I understand now why Mike was always getting the girls.)

Val

Yes, Mike sounds quite nice just from that bit of him.

You've picked some really wonderful friends, Val. Nice stories!

Nichole
  •