Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hair Care

Started by offthesidewalk, May 18, 2008, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offthesidewalk

Quote from: Kiera on July 06, 2008, 09:17:10 AMoffthesidewalk, ya need to trim the ends, ever so slightly, and your hair will grow faster and healthier. I hate to do it, was right at that point where it was long enough to pull back and tie the sides as well (rather than falling in my face!) but rather than attempting to repair the end frizz they all need to go!

Noooooooooooo!! ... i'm so going to hate every snip. *cry*

*sniff* three months probably isn't that much to give up... after all... I'm not going to cut it short... *sniff*

Posted on: 06-07-2008, 16:46:17
here's a question I've been thinking about tho...

does showering, as opposing to bathing, damage your hair??

i mean, the water in the shower falls on your head, and the water the bath is more gentle.
  •  

lady amarant

I used to use Aussie while in the UK.

Can't find it here in South Africa, so far. :icon_cry: :icon_cry2: :icon_tears: :'(

I'll keep looking though. I really liked it.

~Simone.
  •  

joannatsf

I let my hair grow out.  It was much longer than my photo.  A few months ago I had the brilliant idea that in keeping with my overall gloomy personality I'd dye it black.  Partly from looking at the photo here I decided I wanted to go back to the reddish-brown thing in the photo.  I went to my hairdresser for a cut & color and told her what I wanted to do.  She made face.  Then she told me that once you've gone black it hard to go back.  She would have to strip all the color from my hair with strong bleach and then color it.  It would be very damaging to my hair so she advised against it. :(  So now I'm coloring the roots dark brown and waiting for the black to fade and grow out.

The moral of this story (hey, I'm as old as Aesop) is:  Don't color your hair black with permanent hair dye unless you've got a closet full of Goth clothing!
  •  

Hypatia

Joanna, I share your Goth aesthetic (some of the time). My natural hair color is seen in the picture: very dark brown, near-black. Since last year I've been adding dark-red or burgundy highlights. They had pretty much gone away by the time the picture was taken, and a few days later I gave myself fuchsia highlights. I chose L'Oréal Colour Rays precisely because it works on dark hair and doesn't require bleaching my hair first, which I absolutely do not want to do. Nevertheless, the coloring was really harsh on my hair. I had to apply deep-conditioning masque and stop blow-drying it before it recovered its softness.

Speaking of deep conditioning: The absolute best hair-care products I've ever used are the Italian-made Aetó Botanica fortifying shampoo, conditioner, and masque. You can't buy these in a store, they're only distributed by high-end salons. Since I became unemployed, I can't afford to go to the foofy salon I used to go to, and I can't afford to buy Aetó Botanica products any more. But my hair craves this stuff like nothing else. I can't wait to have an income and go back to using Aetó all the time. I've never found anything else that's a fraction as good as this luxury stuff. I've been carefully hoarding the little bit I have left, and this is what I used to repair my hair from the damage done by coloring.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

joannatsf

I'm more melancholy than goth.  Maybe a Romantic Goth but no tattoos or piercing on this girl!  I ask myself "is this something Amelie Gautreau would do?

If were to get highlights I would definately go to my hairdresser.
  •  

offthesidewalk

Ooooo... I'm definately adding "bath" to my routine... now, where to put it...
anyway- what did you end up getting Kiera; food or conditioner? Lol.

I'll look too Simone. Bet i can find it first. :-P. Hehe.

Hypatia and Claire... i'll rather stay brunette or go blonde before i go black. heard it's really in right now- LOL, still, i think you can just do so much more with blonde than black. Hehe.

oh- talking about blonde- once i have my hair grown out, i want to do something like... this...

I'm sorry it's a little blurry- it's taken with my phone. our camera got stolen-  long story. *sigh*

anyhow- i have naturally straight hair, so straightening won't be in issue. My only problem with this is the colouring, but it's fading from the natural to the blonde- still i wonder how that would look if i don't colour it... hmmm... waddayathink?
  •  

joannatsf

You can go back.  It's just a real hassle!  Coloring is not an option for me.  I started going grey in my early 20s.  Judging by my roots I'm silver now  :(  I usually do my own coloring, l'Oreal Preference is all I use.  I only go to the salon for something special, like not having black hair anymore!  If you want to try another color, Clairol Nice 'n Easy will wear out of your hair in about a month if you don't re-do it.  There are some that come out even faster!
  •  

offthesidewalk

Claire, do you think it's easier to get away from black hair if it's your natural colour... or not?

ah... i see Keira... you got the food. *sigh*
there'll be a next time. *huggles*

i don't think i would want to colour so that i would have to need to colour again. ... i don't want to be hooked... still, it does look tempting. Lol

oh, and I've been to the hair dresser today. they said that it won't help if i trim it now, because it's winter and i should rather wait till winter is over and then trim it. if i have to trim alot then, i will feel soooo horrible... -_-
they did tell me there's an anti-frizz lotion from paul mitchel (forgot what, if i find the note I'll tell)- but it's expensive and also, it doesn't give me what i want. i want my hair to be straight, and not frizz, becaused it IS  healthy- and not because i made it LOOK healthy. *pouts* how come it's so hard! i guess I'll get there tho... Hehe.
*huggles*
  •  

offthesidewalk

Quote from: Kiera on July 07, 2008, 03:42:42 PM
Paul Mitchell's <a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/image/13874/tame_the_frizz_top_5_products.html?cat=69">Super Skinny Serum</a> is a top choice in the anti-frizz battle?

to be honest- I've never used paul mitchel before, so i can't really compare it to anything. i did use Schwarzkopf once and was really impressed. it was a long time ago tho, and i only used their vitalizing shampoo, so i don't know much about their products.

have anyone else use Schwarzkopf before?
  •  

Keira

My hair is light strawberry golden blonde (about level 8.5 for those who know what I'm talking about).

Never thought I'd go that light  ;D.

If I go full on light golden blonde (which I almost at the end of my 7 weeks between coloring
because red fades faster than any color), I'll be level 9!! (the lightest is level 11).
My natural color is very deep brown (level 2 I think) but  I started having grey hair at 18
(yeah, you heard that right... 18). At 40, I'm 50-80% white depending on the area of the head.
I look 20 years older with my natural hair color, its not a good look at all especially since
my skin tone is a medium warm beige (when I've seen no sun in years), tan I'm a very dark brown
(but I've not taken that much sun since 1996).

•  

offthesidewalk

hey Keira, i found this colouring system (above) which has twelve levels. it's most likely not the same one you're using. on this one my hair at the moment is between level 3 and 4.
I'm still looking into the skin tone. (-^.^-).

you mean you started to go grey at 18, or you found grey hair at 18.

i found a grey hair about three weeks ago. it looked golden-ish, but it also looked as if had gaps in it, like it was missing some spots.
(why did i observe it so intensely?? O.o)

anyhow, I'll look into that skin tone. *smiles*

OMW- I'm so sorry Keira- i totally spelled your name wrong the whole time! sorree. *huggles*
  •  

Keira

I thiink your hair levels are the ones I'm taking about offthesidewalk, they do
use Ultra light at my salon. But, its just about white (Platinium blonde I think is level 12).

My natural color is for sure 2, but this is a dark brown, which looks black UNTIL you
see actual black hair next to it. Then it looks brown.

•  

Hypatia

My natural level is 2 also. I currently have some highlights but that picture shows my natural color without highlights. At the age of 48 I still have practically no gray at all (a few strands here and there, essentially invisible). Go figure.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

offthesidewalk

AH- so no wonder this came to a standstill! my last post is missing! Lol. it probably happened with the last forum problem.

anyhow- first, my apologies to Keira and Kiera. i thought you where the same person. *blush*
i don't load pictures so i couldn't see you Avatars. so I'm a little dof- sorry.

Okay- so the last time i posted here... couldn't remember when... i had a squirt of Kerastase's anti frizz serum. i can't remember the full name of the product, and the bottles on the net doesn't ring any bells either.
the serum was wonderful, in my opinion- it didn't take the frizziness away immediately, i mean it was only one use, but the puffy feeling of my hair went away.

After i had a trim to get rid of the frizz, I'll definately want to get a bottle to prevent the frizz from coming back. LOL.

have any of you used Kerastase before? because apparently it's also part of the L'Oreal range.
  •  

Princess

Quote from: lacitychick21 on May 22, 2008, 08:02:09 PM
URGH! See, that's not it. I've used that and it's good stuff, but this the product that slips my mind is AMAZING!

...and on a shampoo and conditioner note: Pureology-The Hydrate System. Nothing else compares imho.

It's made for color-treated hair (I have five colors in my hair) but the Hydrate System works wonders on noncolored, dry hair.

The Nanoworks System is mind-blowing, but at $100 a bottle ($70 for stylists), that's $200 for shampoo and conditioner, even this product-whore can't bring herself to switch.
you have 5 colors in your hair? wow, what colors are they?
  •