Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Makeup tip

Started by BeverlyAnn, February 23, 2007, 07:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeverlyAnn

Ever have trouble with those little bitty sponge brushes that come with eye shadow?  Or the brushes that you use for blush have such short handles?  One of the best things I've found to use are brushes used for painting ceramics.  You can find everything from angle tip brushes in different sizes that are great for eye makeup to nice fluffy brushes for powder or blush and they great thing about them is they all have nice long handles.  Also very fine tip brushes for liquid eyeliner if you use it.  I find that the angle tip brushes give greater control on eye shadow and allow you to experiment with different techniques in application. Plus some of the larger flat brushes allow you to contour blush to the shape of your face rather than just dusting a larger area.

You can find these brushes a any ceramics wholesale distributor, at ceramics shows and, although I haven't looked, probably online.  If you use makeup every day, you might want to invest in some of the more expensive brushes but if you only use it occasionally, go for the less expensive.   

Bev
  •  

Melissa

You can also find a similar set of makeup brushes in the makeup aisle that are intended for just this purpose.

Melissa
  •  

BeverlyAnn

True but I find that the ones on the makeup aisle still have shorter handles unless you're talking about really expensive brushes used for professional makeup.  Price wise, the ceramic brushes I use were a much better buy.  Dee (my SO) used to work in a ceramics distributor and they had makeup/nail artists come in quite often to buy brushes from them because the price was better.

Bev
  •  

person

I've never your make-up when I crossdress because to afraid if my mom will find out that way.
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: BeverlyAnn on February 23, 2007, 09:16:29 AM
True but I find that the ones on the makeup aisle still have shorter handles unless you're talking about really expensive brushes used for professional makeup.  Price wise, the ceramic brushes I use were a much better buy.  Dee (my SO) used to work in a ceramics distributor and they had makeup/nail artists come in quite often to buy brushes from them because the price was better.

Bev

This is so true.  Some of those makeup brushes are just way too expensive.  $80 for a powder brush, $55 for an angle tip one! come on!

tinkerbell :icon_chick:

P.S.  Personally I use a tiny "real" brush to color my eyebrows and apply eye shadow.  Those little bitty sponge brushes that come with eye shadow are just totally useless.  They shouldn't even bother to include them there!

•  

Suzy

I've found that at a dollar store, you can buy a bag of assorted makeup brushes.  I think there are eight different ones in there.  Not quite top quality, but WAY better than the ones that come in the package.  You're right, I'm cheap!

Kristi
  •