Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

can u spot a liar?

Started by Christo, July 22, 2008, 03:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

http://www.blogthings.com/canyouspotaliarquiz/

QuoteYou Sometimes Know When Someone's Lying 

You can spot a liar if the liar slips up, but you're not always aware of other people's dishonesty.
Eventually a liar will reveal himself, and you usually will figure out if you've been lied to.
However, someone could be duping you without you knowing it. So watch out for the telltale signs of lying! 

:laugh: :laugh:
  •  

sd

You Can Definitely Spot a Liar

Maybe you have good instincts. Or maybe you just have a lot of experience with liars.
Either way, it's pretty hard for someone to pull a fast one on you. You're like a human lie detector.
That was too easy, in real life it's much harder.
  •  

NicholeW.

Maybe you have good instincts. Or maybe you just have a lot of experience with liars.
Either way, it's pretty hard for someone to pull a fast one on you. You're like a human lie detector.

Can You Spot a Liar?

It really was pretty easy, although their methods would work in close quarters when you can focus directly on the other person. Most coversations in groups tend to be tougher than those one-to-one in private because of distractions.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Yay, me too.

Can You Spot a Liar?

Except it ain't so. I'm very trusting of others. Even if I suspect something, I don't trust my gut if it tells me someone's lying.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Nero

Got the same as everyone but Chris. I can definitely spot a liar. But only because I'm a chronic liar myself.  :laugh:
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Janet_Girl

You Sometimes Know When Someone's Lying

You can spot a liar if the liar slips up, but you're not always aware of other people's dishonesty.
Eventually a liar will reveal himself, and you usually will figure out if you've been lied to.
However, someone could be duping you without you knowing it. So watch out for the telltale signs of lying!
  •  

Osiris

अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत
  •  

Lachlann

Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

tinkerbell

Can You Spot a Liar?

tink :icon_chick:
  •  

annajasmine

Anna
  •  

MaryT

"Maybe you have good instincts. Or maybe you just have a lot of experience with liars.
Either way, it's pretty hard for someone to pull a fast one on you. You're like a human lie detector."

It is ironic that the quiz is presented with ads for money making schemes.

It seems that only Christo can sometimes be fooled, according to the test.  I think that giving someone the benefit of the doubt in one's heart, and not just out of politeness or legal fairness, is a very noble thing.  Dangerous, though.  When I watch the movie Lord Jim, I have to switch channels before the end.

Can You Spot a Liar?
  •  

DawnOday

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

MistressStevie

I try to treat people as if they are basically honest so try to avoiding having cause to look for lies.  If my dollars are involved the skepticism increases.  This strategy makes my life much easier.  When  people do lie to me, I try to avoid them once caught.  Sadly, all to many liars rise in our society to positions of media or political influence. 

The quiz said I did not spot them as quick as some, but do with a bit of persistence.  Maybe it is time to reexamine my strategies.   
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: DawnOday on July 08, 2018, 04:27:55 PM
Orange Hair and fake tans are dead giveaways. Oh wait. https://parade.com/57236/viannguyen/former-cia-officers-share-6-ways-to-tell-if-someones-lying

I wonder who has orange hair and a fake tan?  Never mind.  I like that.  :D

I think that the CIA tips might be valid in otherwise relaxed and casual conversations, i.e. while the subject does not realise that he or she is being interrogated.  However, I'm not sure how reliable they would be in an obvious interrogation situation.  The presumption behind tips like those, as well as behind lie detector tests, seems to be that people feel and show stress while telling lies, i.e. "the innocent have nothing to fear".  However having nothing to fear is one thing and not being afraid is another.  I think that only a psychopath, a trained agent or a fool would not be stressed while being interrogated by a security agency.  Being afraid of not being believed while being truthful could also cause spikes in stress while answering critical questions.

I've had the "privilege" of meeting a few South Africans who had formerly been involved in interrogating people.  A couple of my informants seemed to be psychologically damaged themselves.  I won't go into their methods but their goal was not always to decide themseves whether the subject was being truthful.  As interrogators, they would presume that the subjects would lie if possible, regardless of the method of interrogation.  The idea was not necessarily to make the subject tell the truth per se but to make the subject talk a lot and lose control over what he or she was saying.  Other analysts could then try to make sense of what was said.  They may have been baddies but I suspect that other security agencies may work on the same principle, one way or another.

•  

ÑïñâFairy

I got "You Sometimes Know When Someone's Lying". Impressive, I was thinking I was gonna get You Never Know When Someone's Lying. XD
  •  

ChrissyRyan

The trouble with chronic liars is that it is hard to differentiate when she or he is telling the truth versus fibbing.  One begins to assume lying or at least exaggeration.  That is such a shame.

Honesty is a primary or cornerstone character trait.  How honest should one be?  That depends on how much integrity you want to have.  You should be consistently genuine and honest.

Sure, there are times you might say, "Oh, that is no bother for me at all..."  ...When it reality it is a lot of work for you!  And then there are the situations when you do not want to hurt people by your words, so choose your words carefully.  I suppose there may be some situations where you should say "no comment" or "I cannot talk about that now."  Should one lie to a dementia patient to calm him down, with no evil intent in your response? 

This lying topic can be an interesting conversation with friends.

Even if a woman asks you if her outfit looks great, and you think it is not the best for her looks, you could say that if she really likes it and it makes her feel good she could wear it at times but that she has better looking outfits and that you would not suggest her buying the one she is trying on.  That is better than saying it looks great when it does not.

There is a balance of choosing the right words while being honest and helpful and kind, and avoiding hurt versus just by lying about it.

Use sound judgment and kindness. 

But to answer the question of this topic, yes, sometimes one can tell if someone is lying.
At other times, you cannot. 

There are fakers, catfishers, and very persuasive people that get away with it.  Why they do this is hard to understand. Why people choose to deceive is hard to understand.  There must be some motives that they think will give them a benefit by lying.

What would be a problem is when you are telling the truth and someone thinks you are lying.
I wonder how often that happens with people.  You would think rarely if you are perceived as an honest woman by your consistent honest behavior.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •