Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

So, you want a new wardrobe?

Started by fae_reborn, July 06, 2008, 01:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fae_reborn

I've been thinking recently that my wardrobe seems really...blah!

I have a lot of plain clothes, mostly black and white.  I have a few mock neck sweaters that spice things up slightly, blue and tan/khaki.  I also have some pink shirts and a horizontal striped black/purple long-sleeve cowl neck shirt.  A bunch of t-shirts too in different colors, pastels and some darker colors.  I recently added a pink multi-color full-length skirt (in addition to the black mini-skirt and purple knee-length skirt I have), and a really cute pastel-flower pattern blouse.  For the most part though, I would describe my wardrobe as business-like; seven dress up shirts, a pair of dress pants, khakis, dressy boots (one pair are leather ankle-lengths, the other is suede knee-highs).  My wardrobe feels...well, a lot older than I am, but looks like a typical college girl's wardrobe (my friends and other students say I have a great sense of fashion and I'm really trendy).  I usually end up only wearing a few of the pieces hanging in my closet or filling my drawers.  There are a few things I've only worn once or twice in the last six months, and I'm thinking donation but I'm not sure because I really like them.

However, I've been thinking if I had the money, or came across it somehow, if I would like a new wardrobe.  I consider myself a free spirit and want to express that in my clothes, but the business-like style isn't doing that.  I'm sure business-like is the image I want to be conveying to potential employers once I graduate college, but considering I'll hopefully be going into the field of feminism/women's studies or activism...I don't see how having a business look would be good, because most women in these areas want to break that image of business suit women (think they're trying to look and act as men in a male world; a tailored women's business suit is not much different than a man's, just feminine). 

To digress, I'm thinking a bohemian/hippie kind of look, with a lot of pastels and light colored shirts and blouses, jeans, and flowing skirts and dresses to express my free spirit...and maybe keeping a few of the business like clothes for on-the-job if needed.  What do you think?

Hugs,

Jenn

•  

jenny_

Quote from: fae_reborn on July 06, 2008, 01:18:00 PM
To digress, I'm thinking a bohemian/hippie kind of look, with a lot of pastels and light colored shirts and blouses, jeans, and flowing skirts and dresses to express my free spirit...and maybe keeping a few of the business like clothes for on-the-job if needed.  What do you think?

Go for it Jenn!  If that style suits you then definitely do it, and it gives you an excuse to shop  ;D
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: jenny_ on July 06, 2008, 07:15:46 PM

Go for it Jenn!  If that style suits you then definitely do it, and it gives you an excuse to shop  ;D

Don't temp me Jenny, I don't want to squander my surgery money.  :laugh: :laugh:

Jenn
  •  

barbie

I usually end up only wearing a few of the pieces hanging in my closet or filling my drawers.  There are a few things I've only worn once or twice in the last six months, and I'm thinking donation but I'm not sure because I really like them.

Jenn,

I also have the same problem. I have several fishnet stockings that are still unopened, but I found that not a single woman wear them outdoors in my country. I purchased a nice one-piece dress last summer, but wore just once in my room. This summer I will wear it more, but I am not quite sure how many chances will come. I think keeping my clothes is better, because I sometimes found that a seldom-used fashion item is just for this time.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: barbie on July 07, 2008, 04:46:42 AM

I usually end up only wearing a few of the pieces hanging in my closet or filling my drawers.  There are a few things I've only worn once or twice in the last six months, and I'm thinking donation but I'm not sure because I really like them.

Jenn,

I also have the same problem. I have several fishnet stockings that are still unopened, but I found that not a single woman wear them outdoors in my country. I purchased a nice one-piece dress last summer, but wore just once in my room. This summer I will wear it more, but I am not quite sure how many chances will come. I think keeping my clothes is better, because I sometimes found that a seldom-used fashion item is just for this time.

Barbie~~

So we share the same dilemma Barbie, for example I have a black, long-sleeve, sheer button up shirt, I absolutely love it but I've only worn it, maybe three times for nights out on the town.  Other pieces I've parted with, but I can't part with that one, paired with a bra top underneath it just looks too good and it's a great outfit paired with jeans and heels or boots (in the fall).  My black miniskirt I've yet to wear outside my home.  I love clothes, but being a minimalist and wanting to reduce my impact, I'd rather have a smaller wardrobe of stuff I wear on a regular basis.

Jenn
  •  

barbie

Jenn,

I sometimes think that purchasing women's fashion items is very addictive, especially for crossdressers. High heels are always attactive to buy, even though I have about 10 pairs of heels. One of them, I have never worn outdoors. My wife also has a lot of clothes and accessories that were used once or twice in years. Last week, I took one of them as mine (a cute handbag), and carry it everyday. As I realize that it is very addictive, I avoid buying clothes that I do not need immediately.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Lyric

Clearance specials are my curse. I can't resist collecting various tops, skirts, and so forth, then realize I've got a closet full of stuff that doesn't go with anything else (but they were all such bargains!). I'm trying to discipline myself to just buy complete outfits.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

annajasmine

•  

tekla

tekla's wardrobe management 101

a) if you have not worn it in a year, get rid of it.  If you have not worn it in six months, think hard about getting rid of it.

b) also known as the selective purge, or the zen closet - if you buy something new (or new to you) you must get rid of something at home.

c) Everything must go with something else, stand alone clothes (with the exception of one (ONE) LBD for cocktail parties and the like, are not permitted.

Beware the hippie look, when you check out the prices there is nothing boho about it any more.

PS - I do a&b for everything in my life except my professional tools, books, records/CDs, if I have not listened to it in a year, then I'm not going to miss it all that much.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: tekla on July 26, 2008, 12:02:35 PM
tekla's wardrobe management 101

a) if you have not worn it in a year, get rid of it.  If you have not worn it in six months, think hard about getting rid of it.

b) also known as the selective purge, or the zen closet - if you buy something new (or new to you) you must get rid of something at home.

c) Everything must go with something else, stand alone clothes (with the exception of one (ONE) LBD for cocktail parties and the like, are not permitted.

I try to do a, b, and c also.  I just bought $38 worth of tops and a skirt, and a really nice summer dress.  JC Penny's had a sale, and I think I need to get rid of a few things that are in the closet now to make room, lol!  :laugh: :laugh:

Jenn
  •