Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Quick question.

Started by Jasonk16, July 10, 2008, 04:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasonk16

I know how to change my name but how do you go about changing the F to an M?
  •  

sneakersjay

Depends on where you want to change it.

If the DMV, depends on your state.  My state requires a therapists letter stating that I'm transitioning and living full time as my chosen gender.  Birth certificate in my state requires letters from surgeon(s) stating that SRS has been performed.  Social Security i'm not sure (actually can't remember and too lazy to look it up -- long day).

Jay

•  

J.T.

yeah it depends on where you live... i still have yet to do this but planning really soon.  check out  tsroadmap, that seems to be a good place although it is geared toward mtf.
  •  

Christo

D.C. (my home town) lets u change da f to m after top surery.  ca aint that crazy 'bout it.  if u got a therapist letter thats all u need to change the f to m in ca.  :) :) :)  bottom surgery aint a requirment 2 change to m in ca.  cool yeah :laugh: :laugh: :icon_dance: :icon_dance: :icon_dance:
  •  

jet3

in Ohio you can't do it at all! but if someone figures out a way you can...let a brother know! lol
  •  

Jasonk16

How would you look up what you have to do for the state you live in?
  •  

Sephirah

Quote from: Jasonk16 on July 12, 2008, 09:13:38 PM
How would you look up what you have to do for the state you live in?

Here's a useful site I found that may be of help to people in the USA:

http://www.thetransitionalmale.com/dlchange
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

4Sparky

I had the same question a couple years ago... I was told to call the Department of Health Services in the state that I was born in and they gave me specific instructions. They mailed me the paperwork I needed to fill out and, along with a letter from my doc/surgeon, it was changed.

Hope this helps...
  •  

Jasonk16

Quote from: 4Sparky on July 13, 2008, 10:04:59 PM
I had the same question a couple years ago... I was told to call the Department of Health Services in the state that I was born in and they gave me specific instructions. They mailed me the paperwork I needed to fill out and, along with a letter from my doc/surgeon, it was changed.

Hope this helps...

Did you have to have top and bottom surgery to change it though?
  •  

Elwood

Social security stays the same in the US. The SSN is not gendered. It is per individual, regardless of sex/gender.
  •  

Jamie-o

Quote from: Jasonk16 on July 17, 2008, 05:19:01 PM
Did you have to have top and bottom surgery to change it though?

It entirely depends on what state you live in.  In CA, for instance, I believe you just have to prove intent to transition.  You don't have to have had any surgery.

In MN, as I recall, you have to have "completed surgical transition" or some vague terminology like that, but what counts as "the surgery" really depends on the whim of the clerk you are dealing with that day.

For the U.S. government (passports and the like) you definitely have to have had some form of surgery, but I've heard mixed reviews on what they will take as "the surgery".  I think it requires at least a hysto and/or a clitoral release.

Hope that's helpful.  It's a frustrating quagmire to wade through, because in so many cases the rules are very vague, and subject to the judgment-call of the individual who reviews your case.  :-\
  •  

Elwood

Quote from: Jamie-o on July 19, 2008, 06:12:55 PMIt entirely depends on what state you live in.  In CA, for instance, I believe you just have to prove intent to transition.  You don't have to have had any surgery.
This is why I'm glad to be a "California girl," so they call it.

HAH! TAKE THAT SOCIETY! I'LL USE YOUR DAMN LABELS AGAINST YOU!

-clears throat-

I am worried about passports, though. I won't be leaving the country soon... but I do want to go to Canada.
  •  

4Sparky

In most states, you'll need a letter from your surgeon stating that you have had surgery to reassign your gender. My surgeon wrote a letter stating that I had surgery but did not specify which, making the letter satisfy any requirements to change any legal document.
  •