News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

hysto/oopho/insurance/regrowth

Started by Hal, July 30, 2008, 11:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

Hi,

I have another question - sorry, I'm full of questions - I don't know if this is an unfounded concern of mine or not, but does anyone know that if the ovaries are not removed before/right after top surgey, is there any chance of estrogen causing breast tissue regrowth? Also, has anyone here been successful in obtainining insurance coverage for hysto/oopho -- what was reason given? I've heard of it costing anywhere from $2000-$7000-$15,000 out-of-pocket...

Any thoughts?

Hal
  •  

sneakersjay

I'm having my hysto done next month and it's covered by insurance.  It's for medical reasons, though, and I'm still listed as F on my insurance.  Also I'm older and have had my kids already.  I have no idea how much it costs without insurance.

My doc was so helpful in telling me all the ways he could save my parts, yada yada, but I told him I wanted them all removed, and he agreed.  Relief!

Jay

•  

Hal

Wow, you guys are quick to respond! I only have access to the net  a couple times/wk, so I'll be kind of slow, but thanx
Hal
  •  

Dennis

I don't think there's any chance of regrowth. I had chest surgery 3 years ago and still haven't had hysto, and no issues there.

Dennis
  •  

Mister

Quote from: Dennis on July 30, 2008, 12:21:08 PM
I don't think there's any chance of regrowth. I had chest surgery 3 years ago and still haven't had hysto, and no issues there.

Dennis

But you're on T, right Dennis?

From what I understand, if your ovaries are active (ie, you're not on testosterone), regrowth CAN occur.  There are some surgeons who leave pockets of breast tissue to improve asthetics, but most do not.  Breast tissue is generally removed by scalpel or liposuction during surgery and it is impossible to remove EVERY cell.  So technically, yes, some breast tissue growth is possible after surgery if you are not on testosterone.
  •  

Dennis

Oh yeah, I had assumed you meant being on T.

Dennis
  •  

Mister

Quote from: Dennis on July 31, 2008, 03:07:13 PM
Oh yeah, I had assumed you meant being on T.

Dennis

The question said...   "is there any chance of estrogen causing breast tissue regrowth?"  so I went OP's language, not the assumption. But if you're talking about while being on T, OP, go with Dennis' answer.
  •  

Hal

Yeah,

I found out that surgery removes most glandular, duct, and fatty tissues, and minimal regrowth may occur if pre-oopho/hysto, and taking T, but it's usually very minor... gaining weight may/will cause growth of fatty tissues in ANY case.

So that's good news
thanks Hal
  •  

Elwood

Quote from: Hal on July 30, 2008, 11:50:21 AMHi,

I have another question - sorry, I'm full of questions - I don't know if this is an unfounded concern of mine or not, but does anyone know that if the ovaries are not removed before/right after top surgey, is there any chance of estrogen causing breast tissue regrowth? Also, has anyone here been successful in obtainining insurance coverage for hysto/oopho -- what was reason given? I've heard of it costing anywhere from $2000-$7000-$15,000 out-of-pocket...

Any thoughts?

Hal
There is a chance, but it isn't "definitely going to happen." I know a trans guy who hasn't had a hysto, had top surgery, he's on T, and he hasn't had any regrowth. It's been a few years.

AS for insurance, I do believe if cancer runs in the family it might be partially covered.
  •