Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cutting

Started by Arch, September 02, 2008, 07:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V M

Believe it or not Ativan, there are many here that care about you... Including myself

*HUGS*
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

aidengabriel

i'm a cutter. I have therapy to help me with my decision making and anger managment. to stop myself from cutting I try to over analyze the effects my cutting is going to on have on me later. In your case, if you were to cut and not tell your therapist...that wouldnt really make the sessions productive and beneficial to you if you're not telling him/her everything.
also think about long term. whatever you're going thru now, it'll pass and you'll grow stronger. personally, i HATE looking at my scars. they remind me of weaker times in my life.
just think before you do anything, please
  •  

JosephKT

I started cutting in high school, like so many others do.  Was it so I could have something to talk about?  I highly doubt it considering I had been ostracized by most of my peers, and the other half was more interested in seeming helpful or supportive while really just having a "my problems worse contest."  The only other person I knew who cut and we confided in each other is my friend who started when she lost her virginity by rape at 16.  We let each other know, when the urge for the blade got bad we'd be there for each other, and when we succumbed we'd still without judgement be there for each other.  I think she was the first girl I truly loved.  She recovered, after six years.  I haven't.

It's a combination of things for me.  It's a sense of power, there is so much out of control in my life, but this pain and this act I control, or so I thought.  I also have borderline personality disorder, which doesn't help at all.  I'm also a perfectionist, apparently it's a common thing among perfectionists because we so often fall short of our own expectations.  But mostly now, it's an urge.  A very physical, and apparent urge that hits me most often when I'm anxious or having another bout of depression.  My left wrist starts to itch in a way that scratching does nothing.  My arm feels wrong all over, and I can sometimes ward off the feeling a little by hitting myself in those areas, but only for a short time.  I still sometimes falter.

Your analogy of cutting and alcoholism I think it very appropriate.  There may be a small number of us who started for the attention or whatever, but for the most part it's a coping mechanism we developed in our self-loathing, depression, or whatever else is going on, and it becomes an addiction in the truest sense of the word, withdrawals and all.

All I can say is, I understand where you're coming from, and I hope you don't fall back on the knife, because you don't control the pain, the pain controls you.
  •  

ativan

Quote from: Mrs Erocse on December 16, 2010, 10:00:06 PM
I am glad  you didn't cut last night. We do care. I know that I am a strange bird but I wish good things for you. I hope you have a Merry Christmas. I hope you see something that makes you smile. Eat something that pleases you. And listen to something that makes you feel good.

Many Hugs.
Good Nite.
Mrs. Erocse
I am quite sure that your hugs always have an extraordinary warmth to them.
Wishing you and Erocse a most peaceful Christmas!
  •  

ativan

Quote from: Virginia Marie on December 16, 2010, 10:23:00 PM
Believe it or not Ativan, there are many here that care about you... Including myself

*HUGS*
There are many here that I have come to care about. You're sweet and caring. Qualities that I'm envious of.
Big *HUGS* right back at ya!
  •  

ativan

I want to apologize for freaking out at rereading this thread. The timing could not have been any worse.
The impromtu support group really helped.

@JosephKT and aidengabriel... There is an understanding that is not the same as many other things. Your stories and comments reach into a part of me that only another cutter could comprehend. Welcome.
  •  

JosephKT

Quote from: ativan on December 16, 2010, 11:35:09 PM
@JosephKT and aidengabriel... There is an understanding that is not the same as many other things. Your stories and comments reach into a part of me that only another cutter could comprehend. Welcome.

It's funny the things that bring ones together, but like so many addictions I think it is a you have to be one to really know thing.  Freak outs happen, better it happens here than else where.  Hang in there.
  •  

Arch

Obviously, the vast majority of us would prefer that you not cut, Ativan. But if that's one of your coping mechanisms and it's the one you need at the time, then sobeit.

If you're able to decide not to cut sometimes, then that's a big step forward...but I do worry if you are substituting pills. Still, you're not going to fix yourself all in one day, are you?

Hold tight and remember that we really do care out here in the ether.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

ativan

Thanks guys! Just getting past the urge is one thing, support from others means at least as much. Maybe more!
Thanks again

Ativan
  •  

Arch

One day at a time, hon. And if that's too much, one hour at a time. Or less. I used to live in fifteen-minute increments. As long as I didn't count how MANY fifteen-minute increments I had to get through, I was reasonably okay.

It does get better.

•  

Yakshini

*POSSIBLE TRIGGERS*

For me, cutting came fast and hard. When I was about 16, I had a bad breakup with someone I really liked, and it triggered a terrible depression. Before this depressive episode, I already had a history of poor mental health. When I started cutting it was merely shallow scratches with pointed objects like protractors and pins. Towards the end I was using razors and broken glass to form deep gouges all over my body. There was a point when I was cutting myself over twenty times a day. =/
While I did it, I didn't talk about it to anyone. Many of my friends were also cutters, and while we knew each other was doing it, nobody said a thing.
It has been probably six or seven months since I have last cut, and months before that time as well. I am not a regular cutter anymore, and I have found that the longer you go without cutting, the more the desire to cut fades. Every once in a while, the urge flares up, but I never seriously want to hurt myself.

I did it for a multitude of reasons. It started as a way to outwardly express how deeply I hurt inside. I have always had incredible difficulty expressing my emotions, particularly anger. Taking out my anger on myself was the only thing I could do to release it. I also hated myself and hurt myself as punishment. When I started dating people I also started using cutting as a form of manipulation. If they were dating me, my cutting stopped being a secret to them. If they did something to hurt me, I would cut to punish them.
The longer it went on, the stupider the excuses became to cut. If I saw how many scars my friend had, I took it as a challenge if they had more than me, so I cut. Stupid things like that. I became very cold and uncaring. For a while I was incredibly ashamed of what I was doing and only hated myself more for being weak, but once that passed I stopped feeling anything all together.

The only reason I stopped cutting was because I developed a relationship with someone I could no longer hide it from. I couldn't cut if he was going to see my body, and I couldn't allow myself to hurt him.

Looking back, I really see how sick I was. When I stopped cutting, a gigantic burden was lifted off of me.
  •  

Anima

Quote from: Arch on September 02, 2008, 07:40:53 PM
I don't know...it kinda hurts, but there's a sense of immense relief and release, almost sexual, like an orgasm.

I've had the same experience myself, like this autumn I made 2-degree burns on myself with cigarettes, and I didn't feel pain, but just a rush inside, "like an orgasm", think I also moaned by pleasure.
  •  

Rock_chick

I tried writing something a couple of days ago, but i was all twisted up and could barely even admit things to myself, let alone anyone else. It's been a dark few days and it's been very hard to resist the pull of the knife...i suppose i should be greatful that i managed to talk to someone, I don't really want to repeat what happened at lunch today.

I suppose i should be grateful I don't have that many scars this time round, though I'll be wearing long sleeves for the next couple of weeks.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: Helena on March 30, 2011, 05:23:34 PMI suppose i should be grateful I don't have that many scars this time round, though I'll be wearing long sleeves for the next couple of weeks.

I used to do that. I was always worried that someone would ask me why I had my sleeves down in hundred-degree heat.

Maybe you can resist the urge next time. Try to find a less harmful substitute for it, like exercise. (That never helped me much, I have to admit.) Or writing--that often helps me. Even if it comes out all twisted up...

•  

Rock_chick

I haven't actually cut in a very long time, though it's never really been far from my mind, it's just been the case that I'd be able to visualise the action and release some of the pain that way. I guess tho that I hurt myself in other more insidious ways that are easier to hide.

The really scary thing is just how quickly it all becomes twisted up...no one can know, though you know that if you can just talk to someone you'll be able to quell the urge. Actually telling someone last night was hard, but the pull of the knife was reduced afterwards.
  •  

Janet_Girl

I never understand cutting.  But if it is a pain you are trying to cover, maybe Kickboxing.  Let some of the energy out, release the hate, feel the pain of the burn.
  •  

pebbles

Quote from: Janet Lynn on April 02, 2011, 06:51:01 PM
I never understand cutting.  But if it is a pain you are trying to cover, maybe Kickboxing.  Let some of the energy out, release the hate, feel the pain of the burn.
The hate is directed at your own body :/ It almost always accompanies depression in that state you have no energy to do anything.
  •  

RabbitsOfTheWorldUnite

I've cut once. With a ceramic blade.
Went to the hospital and then to the psych ward.
I don't think I"ll cut again but the entire experience was exhilirating.
I've been in several accidents where I've also been taken to the ER and it excites me every time. I think its because I love the exposure and the attention. But I doubt I'm addicted to it, i simply appreciate the full effect whenever the experience presents itself.
  •  

tekla

but the entire experience was exhilarating.

So is going driving with Thelma and Louise, once.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Cindy

I have to admit that self harm is, to me, a peculiar trait.
You do it to kill yourself. Which  I can understand but never condone.

Kat,  You lost me on T &L ? I never liked the movie. I don't think I understood it.

Cindy

•