Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

It's The Economy, Stoopid!!

Started by NicholeW., September 14, 2008, 10:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicholeW.

Amid a Painful Economic Meltdown, Will Obama Be Bold Enough to Win?
By Joshua Holland, AlterNet. Posted September 13, 2008.

Americans are ready for deep and substantive change -- will Obama deliver what they seek?

http://www.alternet.org/workplace/98495/?page=1

Voters may not follow every twist and turn of the election -- they may not brush up on each of the candidates' policy proposals -- but they know when they're hurting economically, and almost unprecedented numbers now say the country is on "the wrong track."

The Bush years have been bad. In fact, as economist Jared Bernstein noted, when one compares the economic peak of the past cycle, in 2000, with the high point of the business cycle that just ended in 2007, households in the middle actually lost ground, earning $300, adjusted for inflation, less than they did in 2000. The worst this group had done in previous business cycles occurred during the 1970s, when median income "only" increased by about $2,000. In comparison, the income for a family in the middle rose by almost four grand during the 1990s.

•  

debbie j

this is so very true nichole  it is the economy and giveing how its been going as of late  ::) ::). and now the deal with Lehman brothers

going in to the fire . it makes you wounder which one is next . and will it stop there or keep going .  ::) ::). and i normaly dont say this

for the reason being . it belive its a personal choice as to where one puts there moneys inregards  to stocks or anything like that . but

but its good idea to just put  the cash in the saveings acounts  for a while and let it grow there . and at lest that way it is safe for the

most part i beleive  ::)
  •  

lisagurl

Quotefor a while and let it grow there . and at lest that way it is safe for the

most part i believe 

Lets do the math. 3% yield in savings then it is taxed. The inflation rate is 5% and climbing that equals more than 2% loss in the value of your money in a savings account. That is called growing? It sounds more like marketing.
  •  

Hazumu

They WILL vote against their economic interest, because 'real men' don't accept 'handouts'.   

Watch bush telling tornado victims 'life is unfair'.  That's the real message -- 'don't expect help from anybody but yourself.'  And you better be a real man to protect your family against the cruel world.

There are those for whom it AIN'T the economy -- yet...

Karen

•  

debbie j

Quote from: lisagurl on September 14, 2008, 08:41:37 PM
Quotefor a while and let it grow there . and at lest that way it is safe for the

most part i believe 

Lets do the math. 3% yield in savings then it is taxed. The inflation rate is 5% and climbing that equals more than 2% loss in the value of your money in a savings account. That is called growing? It sounds more like marketing.

well lisa it might look like marketing . and i admit i dont play the stock market,s  but i do keep tab,s on it . as well iam sure you do too. and the only

reason i spoke about the saveings acount idea is this. giveing how that the Lehman Brothers deal is now  it is faceing bank fourcloser

and that the govement is not going to bail them out like they did on the freddy mack or fanny mae deals . and then with the

government-brokered takeover of Merrill Lynch by the Bank of America for $50 billion. going on right now . it just seams like it is the best way to have

your money in  a saveings acount . where it can get a little interest. and it lest it is backed by the goverment  so if things happpen to get worse at lest

your money will be safely covered by the goverment  is what iam thinking . and  the other thing that gets me is that when monday comes and the

stock market,s open again . is it going to be a repet of the market going back down hill. and how far south is it going to go if it does go south  again

come monday .  sigh the only thing i think one can really do right now is just set back and wait and see what monday does bring to the markets . see

how far south it goes . soo if i can ask lisa what do you think?? :)

•  

karmatic1110

There is no safety in a fiat currency.  Safety is in precious metals.

lisagurl

Quotei admit i dont play the stock market

That is the tip of the problem. Stocks are not play toys. Investing takes a lot of research to put you capital in investments that are socially in sync with your morals. Investing is not about making money it is about making the world a better place. If you choose wisely, people doing the right thing can not help the fact that they will become richer.
  •  

debbie j

Quote from: lisagurl on September 15, 2008, 09:29:21 AM
Quotei admit i dont play the stock market

That is the tip of the problem. Stocks are not play toys. Investing takes a lot of research to put you capital in investments that are socially in sync with your morals. Investing is not about making money it is about making the world a better place. If you choose wisely, people doing the right thing can not help the fact that they will become richer.

lisa your right  and stocks sure ant play toys . i guess thats just the one reason why i dont get into the stock markets at all ::)
  •