News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Might have to postpone my Orchi

Started by fae_reborn, September 07, 2008, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fae_reborn

Hey everyone,

I'm feeling kind of down right now.  There is a real possibility that I will have to delay surgery until December.  There are a few reasons for this:

1.) I forgot to factor in the costs of my other bills, so I am short about $300
2.) My dad, who is very supportive, thinks I should delay so I don't go completely broke, and so I can focus on school and finish out the semester (my last) with some good grades and have the surgery before Christmas.

I don't think I could come up with the $300 in time, and dad has a point too.  It just makes me really sad.  :icon_cry:

Jenn
  •  

tekla

Dads can be right once in a while.  Finish school, you have a lot invested in that, both time and money, and finishing it puts you in a position to make more money.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

fae_reborn

Quote from: tekla on September 07, 2008, 06:29:57 PM
Dads can be right once in a while.  Finish school, you have a lot invested in that, both time and money, and finishing it puts you in a position to make more money.

Yeah...I should focus on finishing school and finding a job for when i graduate.

Jenn
  •  

tekla

Its not bad to finish school, most applications ask 'did you graduate,' or 'degree' - they are not interested in the idea of going to 7 out of 8 semesters or whatever.  Matter of fact, it looks worse.  So finish, get a job, hell, if you get a real job the health care might cover the cost, or at least part of it.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Janet_Girl

I am sorry to hear that, Jenn

You need to do what is best.  If you are Spiro or similar, the wait might now be that bad.  :(

But if you are that close to finishing, it could be a good thing, right?

Janet
  •  

sneakersjay

I'll throw out the dissenting opinion.  Personally I'd get the surgery now and finish school next semester.  School will always be there.  Why do people act like it's the only important thing in life?  Getting surgery will help tremendously with your mental health (at least it has with me; I'm 11 days post hysto and while a bit sore, am on cloud nine!! And already back to work...).

And nobody other than grad school admissions people give a flip about your college grades.  None of my employers ever asked for transcripts.  I graduated, I have the degree, and while I did graduate in the top 10% of my class, I have classmates who graduated at the bottom who are far more financially successful than I am.  Grades are NOT a predictor of success in life.  And neither is college, btw.

My uncle, age 49, never went and was a B/C student in high school.  He started a business selling info to cable companies which morphed into his own cable company.  He sold it 8 years ago for >$5 million dollars and is retired.  Also, a girl I grew up with went to art school, subsequently ended up in NYC where she and another person started a newspaper and subsequently sold it, also for millions of dollars and is retired.  she's 46.

I, OTOH, have a doctorate, am gainfully employed and have good benefits, but still make far less than non-college grads in construction and the trades (the ones who own their businesses; not the laborers).

So... that's the end of my school rant.  School is the biggest lie of all time.  My kids have never set foot in a school.

/rant.  Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Jay

•  

fae_reborn

I was able to come up with some additional funds, so I don't have to reschedule the operation.  :)

and I'm going to finish school this semester.

Jenn
  •  

NicholeW.

And there you have it.

I think its the best choice for you, Jenn, and you know the reasons why. So I'll not leave them out here for everyone to take issue with. You ARE going to do both before December and that's that.

You cannot fail. Got that? Cannot fail. :) :icon_hug:

Nichole
  •  

Janet_Girl

Good for you, Jenn

Now you can be happy and chase your education

Janet
  •  

sneakersjay

Cool!

What is the recovery time for an orchi?

Jay

•  

fae_reborn

Quote from: sneakersjay on September 08, 2008, 08:09:00 PM
Cool!

What is the recovery time for an orchi?

Jay

My surgeon told me that I'd be back on my feet in four days, and can resume normal activities within a week.

Jenn
  •  

sneakersjay

Shouldn't interfere with school too much anyway.

My doc said a week to be up and around and 3 weeks before normal activities/work, 6 weeks before fully healed/lifting heavy stuff.  That was for my hysto (11 days ago now).  Went to work after 4 days...I can NOT sit still...

Jay

•  

JasmineG

Quote from: sneakersjay on September 08, 2008, 02:54:00 PM
I'll throw out the dissenting opinion.  Personally I'd get the surgery now and finish school next semester.  School will always be there.  Why do people act like it's the only important thing in life?  Getting surgery will help tremendously with your mental health (at least it has with me; I'm 11 days post hysto and while a bit sore, am on cloud nine!! And already back to work...).

And nobody other than grad school admissions people give a flip about your college grades.  None of my employers ever asked for transcripts.  I graduated, I have the degree, and while I did graduate in the top 10% of my class, I have classmates who graduated at the bottom who are far more financially successful than I am.  Grades are NOT a predictor of success in life.  And neither is college, btw.

My uncle, age 49, never went and was a B/C student in high school.  He started a business selling info to cable companies which morphed into his own cable company.  He sold it 8 years ago for >$5 million dollars and is retired.  Also, a girl I grew up with went to art school, subsequently ended up in NYC where she and another person started a newspaper and subsequently sold it, also for millions of dollars and is retired.  she's 46.

I, OTOH, have a doctorate, am gainfully employed and have good benefits, but still make far less than non-college grads in construction and the trades (the ones who own their businesses; not the laborers).

So... that's the end of my school rant.  School is the biggest lie of all time.  My kids have never set foot in a school.

/rant.  Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Jay

I have to agree with Jay on this one.

I graduate college in Dec 2005. We were all told the stats of how are salary potential would double that of a non college graduate. Well, here is what they don't teach you in college. Your major is the most important factor in your starting salary. Business majors fair better than liberal arts or other majors because let's face it, your not going to get into a management trainee position with a major in history or music.

I learned this the hard way. My major was health science with a concentration alternative medicine. I was all excited to graduate and I was sure that I would find a job and start making $30,000 a year to start. In college we were fed how much the healthcare industry is in need of workers and the industry would be short staff in the years to come. Well, reality is that the healthcare industry is short staff in nursing and MD's. They aren't short staff in supportive staff positions. These supportive staff positions such as Nurse's aid, medical assistant, pharmacy tech's, medical records clerks are all field by trade school graduates. They go to school for as little as 3 weeks to as long as 2 years.

Now, I on the other hand, have gone to trade school for a year plus college for 3 years. I'm now over qualified for these supportive medical staff. When I go on job interviews, I'm going after the same jobs that other trade school graduates go after and are much more willing to take a lesser salary than I. So, when I finally interview with a company and tell them I'm not willing to take a job less than $30,000 a year. They simply move on to the next person willing to take a job for $15,000 half of what I would take a job for. I have student loans to pay back. $15,000 is not a lot to survive off of when you live in a major city like I do and rent alone cost $800-$1000 month for a shack.

I ended up taking a merchandiser job where I make less than the cashier at Walmart make, really. I decided that I had to go back to school to get a marketable skill that requires more than a trade school education to obtain. I'm now working on my master degree majoring in Accounint and Finance. I hope to get my CPA so that the next time I go looking for work, I won't be told that I'm over qualified and the people going after the jobs I apply for must have at least an undergraduate degree in accounting or finance. By 2011 or 2012, in order to take the CPA exam, you must have a least a master degree in most states. This is good for me. At that time, it will eliminate everyone with just a bachelors degree looking to become accountants. I graduate in 2010 from graduate school and by then, I should be good to go on getting a good paying job.

So, if your in college, make sure your majoring in a field that is a marketable skill. It's hard out here in todays economy to obtain a decent job with decent pay without a marketable skill.

-JasmineG
  •