Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Personality disorder diagnoses

Started by Secretgirl, September 19, 2008, 11:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you been diagnosed a personality disorder DURING your gender indentity examination?

No
10 (55.6%)
Yes, Paranoid personality disorder
0 (0%)
Yes, Schizoid personality disorder
0 (0%)
Yes, Schizotypal personality disorder
2 (11.1%)
Yes, Antisocial personality disorder
0 (0%)
Yes, Borderline personality disorder
2 (11.1%)
Yes, Histrionic personality diasorder
0 (0%)
Yes, Narsistic personality disorder
0 (0%)
Yes, Avoidant personality diasorder
2 (11.1%)
Yes, Dependent personality disorder
0 (0%)
Yes, Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
2 (11.1%)
Yes, other personality disorder
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Secretgirl

In my first time at gender clinic I got a personality disorder diagnose. Have other transsexuals here some kind of experience? Without warning the shrink just told that I had a personality disorder. It was not nice.
  •  

Elwood

Dr. De Mara does studies with patients with BPD. He's seen hundreds of BPD patients, if not thousands. He told me he does not believe I have BPD. :)

We both suspect, however, that I may have OCD. We'll be testing for that after I get started on T.

I don't go to a gender clinic, I'm at Kaiser.
  •  

Secretgirl

Personality disorders are different. Obsessive-compulsive personality is not a bad issue. It can increase productivity for example.

However being Schizotypal is not good. Some sources say that it is near psychosis. However my doctor just made the diagnoses by making findings more severe than they was.

According to some books severe Schizotypal disorder needs treatment in a  mental ward. :'(

Posted on: September 20, 2008, 02:02:20 AM
I am going to write about ''the findings'' to Just for Us-section because they are quit personal and do not belong to general area.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Secretgirl on September 20, 2008, 02:33:37 AM
Personality disorders are different. Obsessive-compulsive personality is not a bad issue.

yep, obsessive-compulsive disorder isn't too big a deal but obsessive compulsive personality disorder is something to worry about.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Blanche

Quote from: Secretgirl on September 19, 2008, 11:06:44 AM
In my first time at gender clinic I got a personality disorder diagnose. Have other transsexuals here some kind of experience? Without warning the shrink just told that I had a personality disorder. It was not nice.

what kind of personality disorder? The problem you're describing is not with recognition of disorders, but their misdiagnosis.  That is, it's a very good thing to be able to recognise disorders. Seeing them where they don't exist, not so good, in fact, as you suggest, it can be harmful.

It's not that ignorance is bliss, it's that a little knowledge can be dangerous -- that is, when it isn't really knowledge, but is information being misapplied.  Wish I had some advice for you, but I really don't know what to say.
  •  

TheBattler

I was said to have elements of borderline personality after my trip to hospital.

Alice
  •  

Secretgirl

Very many people have elements of Borderline personality disorder :). The elements must be severe before the diagnose.
  •  

iFindMeHere

Secret,

Whether you've got the disorder or not there should be no sex on the first date diagnosis at the first appointment...
  •  

NicholeW.

No one is a disorder. How long did the doctor work with you? Diagnosis is not a 5 minutes and made kinda thing. There are nuances and they require some actual time to work through and to make a diagnosis.

To some with schizo-affective or some near-schizophrenic diagnosis would require some rather exagerrated behaviors on the part of a patient in an extremely short window, unless the diagnosis had been made previously and the doctor had the records of that and simply furthered what someone else had decided. That is often done and is a huge reason for on-going labelling of people and treating them for conditions that it comes to light later that they do NOT have.

You'd do better to relax. For one thing "personality disorders" are rather common and also rather tractable and can be ameliorated and changed. The psychotic disorders are a different kinda of animal than that.

So just look at the behaviors he listed and see what you think. One thing is for sure, as it is for every diagnosis of any kind. The behaviors you showed, or didn't, are behaviors that everyone, I mean everyone, shows from time-to-time. They do not mark you out as some sort of problem at any rate.

But, if they cause you difficulty when you deal with others then you might want to use the opportunity to change in some way since changing others won't be an option.

Nichole
  •  

Elwood

Quote from: Nichole on September 20, 2008, 01:16:07 PMHow long did the doctor work with you? Diagnosis is not a 5 minutes and made kinda thing. There are nuances and they require some actual time to work through and to make a diagnosis.
Unless it's GID, lol. My Gods, they diagnosed me so fast. They said it was OBVIOUS, that I walk and talk and smell of >-bleeped-< (they didn't actually say that part but you get the idea).

Personality disorders, however, take weeks if not months of observation to accurately diagnose. To be diagnosed on the first visit is medical malpractice.
  •  

NicholeW.

Sadly, it is NOT medical malpractice. It's regular practice at lots of places as is "forwarding" a diagnosis. Any diagnosis made without a few hours with a client is not a very good one if you ask me, no matter how good or bad it makes the recipient feel.

And GID is basically a self-diagnosed problem that the clinician agrees or disagrees with.

Nichole
  •  

Secretgirl

The first gendertherapist: Your problem is rather your personality not GID.

My current therapist after one other therapist: The personality findings are quit severe but not a contradiction to ts-treatment in transsexuality type(?) I have. 
  •  

iFindMeHere

Quote from: Nichole on September 20, 2008, 01:38:30 PM
Sadly, it is NOT medical malpractice. It's regular practice at lots of places as is "forwarding" a diagnosis. Any diagnosis made without a few hours with a client is not a very good one if you ask me, no matter how good or bad it makes the recipient feel.

And GID is basically a self-diagnosed problem that the clinician agrees or disagrees with.

Nichole

Common practice does not equal sane practice. I mean, look at the trends of the late 80s-early nineties. Do you remember the recovered memories deal that used to be popular? That was only about 15 years ago, it's been disproven. Earlier than that, there was the mental illness "homosexuality". Treatments for "hysterical" women (women who were crazy were so because their uterus was acting up. THIS WAS MEDICAL "FACT.") which were pretty much sanctioned molestation. And let's not forget the old standby, trepanation, explained by "pressure on the brain" or "letting demons out", depending on perspective (the second one may not come from our culture; don't shoot me, just correct me!)
  •