Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Spiro/Therapist question?

Started by findingreason, October 02, 2008, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

findingreason

I'm not in therapy yet, but I know that with the Harry Benjamin SOC, it is at least 3 months before HRT is permitted. Is there a possibly that spiro could be administered sooner than that (since it only suppresses T)?

•  

Sandy

Quote from: findingreason on October 02, 2008, 10:54:26 AM
I'm not in therapy yet, but I know that with the Harry Benjamin SOC, it is at least 3 months before HRT is permitted. Is there a possibly that spiro could be administered sooner than that (since it only suppresses T)?

Probably not.  Spiro cannot be administered without a blood test.  If you have any kidney or liver problems it could upset your potassium level.  It's primary purpose is to shrink the prostate, testosterone suppression is a by-product.

Since you would have to see a physician in the first place to get the prescription, the doctor would not prescribe any medication without cause.  So unless you already have an enlarged prostate, the doctor would need to see a letter from your therapist saying that you are a good candidate for HRT.

And please resist the temptation to self medicate.  It can be very dangerous and too, when you do get your letter, if you have been self medicating, you'll have to wait for it to clear your system before you have your blood test so the doctor can have a clear idea on your health.

I will resist the temptation to say "Patience, grasshopper, all come to those who wait...".  It was murder when I was waiting for my letter to start HRT.  I know what you are going through, but, please, hang in there!

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

vanna

Really depends on your position, country and circumstances as well. The SOC is actually only guidlines for your doc and therpists not written in stone, i was a self medder and got my script off my therapist 1st visit.

He felt sure of me from that and it wasnt really an issue to move forward.
  •  

Nicky

Quote from: findingreason on October 02, 2008, 10:54:26 AM

What difference will 3 months make in the scheme of things?
  •