Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Poll: Do you identify as Buddhist?

Started by Sarah, October 15, 2008, 05:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you identify as a Buddhist? Check all that apply...

I like it but don't know much about it
8 (21.6%)
I meditate or chant or do some other formal practice  occasionally
25 (67.6%)
I agree with Buddhist teachings or philosophy
34 (91.9%)
I attend a meditation or chanting or Buddhist Temple or Group on a occasional basis
6 (16.2%)
I attend a meditation or chanting or temple or group on a regular basis
4 (10.8%)
I am considered by others to be part of thier Sangha
7 (18.9%)
I consider myself part of a Sangha
9 (24.3%)
I take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha
14 (37.8%)
I have been on a retreat
7 (18.9%)
I have undergone some form of formal recognition cerimony
4 (10.8%)
I have a Teacher/Master and/or are part of a formal Master-disciple relationship
7 (18.9%)
I have an interest in Buddhism
30 (81.1%)
I feel uncomfortable calling myself a Buddhist, but I have an interest and/or strong interest in it.
8 (21.6%)
I like Buddhism or Buddhists, however I am not a Buddhist
8 (21.6%)
It's not my cup of tea
9 (24.3%)
I am a formally recognized part of a Sangha
4 (10.8%)
The Sangha is my family as much as my relatives are
4 (10.8%)
I have a different spiritual or philisophical practice that works for me.
11 (29.7%)
I like it but don't know much about it
5 (13.5%)
I have a specific Tradition, which I am a part of
6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Padma

I prefer the term 'school' to 'sect' myself :) - different schools of Buddhism have arisen over the years that emphasise different aspects of Buddhist teaching and practice, but (mostly) still emphasise balance of practice rather than just that one bit of it. A few schools of Buddhism have gone down the unfortunate road of assuming they are the 'one true way', and I think they're the only ones that deserve the term 'sect', since I would consider that a sectarian approach.

You can also (if you want to start a really pointless argument) divide Buddhist schools into those that think 'lineage' is important, and those that don't - so I won't get into that ;).
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Jacelyn

"School" has been use equally as "sect", but to be more accurate, I like the term sect, as there is really sectarian distinction in various schools / monastic institutes. In order words, a school or schools belong to a particular sect, but a school can hold the lineage of several sects.

The sect that does not have authentic lineage is considered as "heretics" and / or "outsider". Thus the term "sect" is neutral as to good or bad, and "authentic" or "heretic".

No lineage then no buddhism. Authentic lineage is very important, there are different type of authentic lineage, they are of scriptural, oral, and mind.
  •  

Padma

Quote from: joyce44 on April 07, 2011, 08:34:44 AMNo lineage then no buddhism. Authentic lineage is very important, there are different type of authentic lineage, they are of scriptural, oral, and mind.

Only some schools of Buddhism believe this.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Jacelyn

All main stream buddhist organisations support this. Though one is allowed to learn anything with or without lineage, to practice certain teaching required transmission from a teacher with an authentic lineage, a teacher of buddhism cannot act as one without an authentic lineage, or he / she will face huge pressure and resistance from main stream buddhist organisations.
  •  

Padma

Unfortunately, an official lineage is no indication whatsoever of a person's integrity as a practitioner and teacher - as witness the many, many examples of sexual and financial scandals involving eastern and western teachers with supposedly impeccable lineage. The Buddha exhorted his followers to observe a teacher over a long period, to listen to what they teach and then ascertain whether they in fact live in accord with their own teachings.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Padma

Lineage, among schools who think in those terms, is generally taken to mean the lineage of actual teachers - so it's considered important to be able to trace back the lineage of your own teacher through his/her teacher, and on back to the founder of that particular school (or right back to the Buddha) in order to validate their right to teach in that tradition.

Personally, I think it's up to you how much importance you attach to this (it often smells to me like "my dad can beat up your dad"*) - but this is just my angle on it.

*bad analogy, trying again: more like an overdependence on the assumed attainment of a teacher and wanting to be carried along in their spiritual slipstream, which can be a substitute for taking responsibility four one's own practice. And just to be clear, I'm not knocking the value of reverence for a teacher you have personal cause to revere, through time spent around them.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Jacelyn

QuoteThe Buddha exhorted his followers to observe a teacher over a long period, to listen to what they teach and then ascertain whether they in fact live in accord with their own teachings.

This is one requirement, not an exception in addition to having a lineage. To teach in the first place, the teacher need a valid lineage in order to be recognised and accepted. Nothing wrong with this, as it is not impossible to obtain a lineage by following after an authentic teacher oneself. A buddhist teacher is person of great public responsibility in the spiritual field, much as a doctors in the medical field, and engineers in the technical field, all of them required an authentic "lineage" and certification, and differ only in names. Just as a certified doctor and engineer can be liable for criminal negligence, and not free from legal prosecution, a certified buddhist teacher's conduct is monitor by both students and all main stream buddhist organisations, if sexual / power abuse is discovered, their lineage teachers will also be notified, and his / her entitlement as a leader of the particular sect will be replace by someone else.

A teacher without a lineage can only support himself, he is the only authority, when it come to sexual / power abuse, this form of teacher is even more dangerous as he can't be replace, and all followers are brain-washed (the reason they will be attracted to such a teacher in the first place), rather than independent bodies capable of monitoring each other.
  •  

Jacelyn

QuoteDoes this refer to reincarnation where lineage may play a role through passing down wisdom or simply school of thought?

Reincarnation of tulkus are based on lineage which has a tradition of dealing with this way of teaching, without which it will not be recognised. A certain teachings are based on physical lineage that has passed down uninterruptedly through words of mouth, and due to the nature of the teaching, where empirical experience are essential (much like practical hand on experience required on engineering / medical field), direct face to face transmission is required. Also there are teaching with ritualistic requirement, such as initiation / empowerment, these cannot be contain in form of scriptural transmission alone, direct contact with the teacher is essential to be introduce to the mandala / symbolic teaching.

As for scriptural transmission, such as exist in asian's mahayana and theravada buddhism, here we seems to be relying on chinese tripitakas and / or pali cannon for any authority on buddhism, without depended on a human teacher, but still the vow of refuge and monkhood has to be transmitted by a teacher who has received the same directly from another teacher, there cannot be a break in a transmission that link back to Buddha himself. Also the teaching we based from the chinese tripitaka and pali cannon is considered a lineage of buddha's scriptural transmission.

Thus its all about the existence of lineage [in various forms], without which we won't even know the name "buddha" or "dharma".
  •  

Padma

I'm not saying lineage has no significance - I just think that who a teacher's teacher was is in the end less important than the teacher's ability to embody and communicate the Buddha's teachings. I agree that "cult of personality" can be a problem at one end of the scale, but at the other I see a lot of people over-obsessed with their teacher's "qualifications", which is just another way of following blindly. We have to take personal responsibility as practitioners to be honest with ourselves about what we are looking for in our teacher.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Jacelyn

QuoteI just think that who a teacher's teacher was is in the end less important than the teacher's ability to embody and communicate the Buddha's teachings

"Over-obsessed" if you like to put it, to anything dharma / teacher related, is a fine attitude [as far as indifference to dharma or buddhism is compared], since over-obsessed with "the teacher's ability to embody and communicate the Buddha's teachings" is equally essential as with "the teacher's qualifications".

Placing emphasis equally to both is critical to choosing a teacher, else you are biased to one consideration to the exclusion of the other equally important consideration when one is still deciding between the right teacher/s.

*You cannot sensibly exclude any good qualities or considerations of a student or a teacher of dharma.
  •  

gandaberunda

Sure I'm a buddhist.  What exactly that means varies with each school.  I have publicly taken buddhist vows but that really doesn't mean much to me.  What matters to me is that day in and day out I try to be mindful my correct situation.  This is not so easy to explain, but realizing one's correct relation to the world is key.  Realizing the correct relation of one's self-identity to one's thoughts and sensations is also key.

Some groups put great emphasis on lineage, and while this may be important, it is most worthwhile to listen with an opened mind.  When you do this, you can appreciate both points-of-view.  You can see why lineage is important, but you can also understand why one should not get caught up in sectarian conflicts.
  •  

Julie Marie

My first real introduction to Buddhism came through the book "Buddhism Plain and Simple" by Steve Hagen.  I have read it several times and purchased and given away three copies.  I need one to keep in the house!  The book is more about the philosophies of Buddha rather than becoming a Buddhist.  I found it akin to reading Eckhart Tolle or Wayne Dyer kind of books.  Kind of a "how to find inner peace" sort of thing.  It helped me through the toughest times of my transition.

Today I find myself a supporter of Buddhism and also Taoism, though I would not be considered a practitioner of either.  I wish I was raised in a family that believed more in Eastern philosophies like Buddhism rather than being raised Catholic.  I see the latter as crushing the soul while the former is freeing the soul.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

V M

I appreciate the philosophies and teachings of various religions including Buddhism and Taoism, But I am a free spirit and do not identify completely nor label myself with any particular religion
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Born_to_Rune

I identify with Buddhism, and use meditation as much as possible. But I also love to look at other aspects, like Taoism - and tend to merge what I find useful from other like religions. I tend not to even consider it a religion, more as a way of being. I know the church has helped many people, but I personally don't agree with many doctrines within it.
Some years ago, NB bought me a book called 'Essential spirituality', which I found fascinating. It shows that within the main world religions, there are many overlapping aspects of the spirituality side. I like to think that's how I live. Not weighed down by a particular aspect, but accepting many aspects.
  •