Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Music Question for Tekla

Started by Constance, November 07, 2008, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

Funny, I  thought In Through the Out Door was the end of a near perfect run.  From Zep I through Zoso to Physical Grafitti perhaps the foundation of most that came after.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Imadique

Quote from: ell on November 21, 2008, 09:19:13 AM

i think it's terribly unusual for almost all artists not to suck terribly at some point in their careers.

I think that rule only applies to the mainstream commercial artists. The less successful ones who are putting their own money into it and doing things at their own pace churn out better product every time IMO (with the exception of the greats as Tekla mentioned, Zappa and Young are my all time favourites).

Quote from: tekla on November 07, 2008, 02:34:14 PM
  It would take a unique drive to failure to do it any other way.

I dunno how unique that drive is, I thought it was the foundation of indie music ;P 
(Anyone wanna buy my E.P? )
  •  

tekla

I went to Lollapaloza II with some of my students.  I had gone to number one with my friends.  I was looking at a big glossy mag that told me more than everything I've ever wanted to know about the bands while some little girl is trying to explain 'alternative' to me.  So I ask her about a band, "perfect example" she says, 'they are not as addicted to success as bands before them were'  Right, as I try to point out that being on Reprise Records (Founded by Frank Sinatra) and having William Morris as your agency, was pretty much everyone's of  success.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Ell

Quote from: Imadique on November 23, 2008, 06:37:11 AM
Quote from: ell on November 21, 2008, 09:19:13 AM
i think it's terribly unusual for almost all artists not to suck terribly at some point in their careers.

I think that rule only applies to the mainstream commercial artists. The less successful ones who are putting their own money into it and doing things at their own pace churn out better product every time IMO (with the exception of the greats as Tekla mentioned, Zappa and Young are my all time favourites).

uh, i wasn't trying make a point, i hope. just an observation. btw, Throwing Muses was not at all a main stream band. in fact, they broke up because they couldn't make enough money.

oh, and jfyi, both Zappa and Neil Young have sucked Big Time at various points in their careers.

-ell
  •  

Constance

Quote from: ell on November 24, 2008, 10:30:56 AM
both Zappa and Neil Young have sucked Big Time at various points in their careers.
That I have to agree with.