Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Something interesting...

Started by Jaimey, February 02, 2009, 07:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

Mark is good, not as psychedelic as John, but not near as boring as Luke.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Nicky

Plus he was the good looking one.

Maybe you could hypothesise that the peasants represent a persecuted people just like the christ followers in the gospel of mark. They already live a life of suffering and sacrifice. The short story could be about them rising up and pinning it on the man who has never had to suffer and slave just as they have yet has the gall to preach down to them. You could bring in the stuff about the Gospel of Mark being written for a persecuted people - a call for them to stay strong. Faith is a powerful political weapon.

Another angle is it is written by someone that wants to keep the masses under control.  It deflects their attention into killing this 'jesus' character so they don't turn on their masters. Kind of a scape goat for their agression. The Gospel also talks about the meak will inherit the earth kind of stuff i.e. keep your head down, don't make a fuss, sit out the persecution (exactly as the persecutors want it). Or you could see this Jesus as an example for the masses - get out of line and we will kill you in a horrible way.

Those are some ideas. What do you think? I know next to nothing about it so it is just a stab in the dark.
  •  

tekla

Given what the proff said, I'd stick to quotes from the book (story) itself, to prove your point.
  •  

RebeccaFog

I agree with Tekla. Stick to the story for your thesis or whatever you call it.

What in the story rings as political to you?

Also, some people consider the Jesus (referred to as "Hay-Zeus" from here on) to be political.  He defied the convention of his time and attempted to teach people to think for themselves by questioning authority.  Don't believe in false idols is like saying "ask yourself if what you are being told is true to you".

He made an attempt to elevate the poor and disenfranchised people.  This was a threat (along with the false idol thing) to the people in power.  His death was a political act. He threatened the establishment.

Think about it. He used the language available at the time which was derived from a religious point of view.  But he was speaking of the human soul, individuality, nonviolence, truth, trust, caring, dignity, and so on.

His message was about freedom in many ways.  When people begin to look inside themselves for answers and begin to act on what they believe is true or right, it strips slavemasters and leaders of their power.  Even if those freaks own your body, you can't allow them to own your soul.

If you transpose the message of the Hay-Zeus into modern psych speech, you pretty much have a solid message from the guy.  I realized this after I read Jungian concepts.

So if the man in the story is acting in any way that would scare, undermine, or threaten those in power, he is, in fact, behaving as a radical in the eyes of those who hold power.

I could have said this better, but I'm doing it as I type.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: tekla on February 04, 2009, 07:31:19 PM
Given what the proff said, I'd stick to quotes from the book (story) itself, to prove your point.

That's actually the biggest problem I'm having...

I was not actually expecting all the help, guys!  So nice... :-*
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

RebeccaFog

•  

tekla

Any questions?

Yeah, is this going to be on the test?
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: tekla on February 06, 2009, 11:47:23 AM
Any questions?

Yeah, is this going to be on the test?

the only thing not on the test will be subject matter relating to the subject.
  •  

Jaimey

I'd love a test in this class...I hate writing papers...
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •