Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

being transgender in a new job abroad

Started by jonjon, February 19, 2009, 03:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjon

ok, first of all brilliant news is that i've been offered a job in Italy working for a breeding kennel for show dogs.

But how the hell do i go about it with my transition? Will i still get funding? Will i have to pay for everything? What do i tell my new boss? My passport is in my old name and i've applied in my new name.

O_O excited but scared at the same time >_>
Please check out my vampire novel project!

https://www.facebook.com/thickerthanbloodproject?ref=bookmarks

Please like, follow, share and support! :D
  •  

Ellieka

Jobs and transition... its tough isn't it? If it were me I would wait until a name change was made legal but I can understand that some times time is of the essence.
  •  

RebeccaFog

You should check italian law, if there is any.  Maybe they don't care about some transition stuff.  Didn't they have a transwoman as a politician?

I mean maybe they won't care in terms of your name and passport.

May you awake in a room full of beautiful Italian women.    8)

•  

Renate

Congratulations Jon Jon:

Um, Italy, work, um. The first question is whether they are doing it all completely above board.
Are they going to get you a work visa or tell you to just come in on a tourist visa?
I'd still do it even if they tell you to just play tourist.

If you've got a new legal name I'd suggest that you get a renewal/name change on your passport with the expedited process.
In emergencies that can take two weeks or less.

I dd a name change with the regular process, it took only two weeks, but that was not during peak winter vacation time.
  •  

jonjon

first of all, i'm a UK resident, which means i'm european, which means i dont need a work visa.

The problem is i have less than 2wks before i go. My name change is done by deed poll but i've not been living as male yet for 5yrs and i do believe i'm not legally male yet. I've absolutly no idea if i need a birth certificate, either way i've lost my copy and will prob need to get another.

I do plan on telling my new employer before i go, just to confirm legalities and stuff and if she wishes to see my passport when i get there, then it's a subject i've already discussed and there'll be no awkward moments.

The harsh bit is sraping all the money together O_O

•  

Linus

As someone who is a Canadian but living and working in the US prior to the start of my transition and thus far, during transition, I don't think you'd have much to worry about (although certainly different culture and such). My passport still has my original birth name and gender (due to reasons beyond my control, I don't think I'll be able to get gender officially change on my passport until much, much later and after more than just top surgery). That said, when you did your name change you were likely given a piece of paper signed by a judge about the name change.

I've been told that as long as you have that, along with old/new documentation you should be fine. Most jobs elsewhere (outside your home country) will just need a passport since it's considered to be a valid, recognized identification document. You could show them the passport and name change paper, if the new passport hasn't arrived and explain the situation. I would imagine that most customs agents likely won't care for the reasons but as long as it's documented, that's all that will matter.
My Personal Blog: http://www.syrlinus.com
My Cigar Blog: http://www.cigarnewbie.com
  •  

imaz

Italy did have a transgender politician - Vladimir Luxuria who was elected with the Rifondazione Comunista party. She is no longer an MP sadly having lost her seat in the last election and declares no intention to return to politics even as an MEP.

BTW Ms Luxuria identified specifically as transgender and kept her male legal status. I have immense respect for how she handled herself in Parliament in the face of horrendous provocation from Alessandra Mussolini who insulted her with - "meglio fascista che frocio" (better a fascist than a fagg*t) and protests from far right politicians regarding toilet facilities.

Best of luck in Italy, I spent half my life there and Italian girls are the business! ;D

Forgot... You will need to obtain a "codice fiscale" once you are there to regularise your tax situation. This used to be obtained if I remember correctly from the "Ufficio Imposte Dirette" (Inland Revenue)....
  •  

anewlife123

Italy has an acceptance of transgendered people as far as I know ...
  •  

jonjon

Does anyone have any info or links to do with transgender in Italy and how their system works? Cos i cant seem to find ANYTHING!!!

And i need to know if i can get my hormones prescribed over there, or if i'll have to make regular trips back to the UK once every three months of which i dont want to do, and i dont think i'll get the job if they see i have to disappear quite frequently

•