Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

baldhead

Started by barbie, December 27, 2008, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbie

Two weeks ago I visited a hair salon to have my hairs straightened and dyed. One of my female colleagues recommended me that salon. Due to economic stagnation, few visitors were there. I were indeed welcomed as I paid a total of ca. US $250 whereas most customers pay just $10-$20 for just hair cut (labor costs for hair care is still inexpensive here compared with the U.S.).

The middle aged woman who took care of my hairs commented that my scalp is loosing hairs. She mentioned 'alopecia areata' to describe the status of my hairs. I replied that nobody is bald among my close relatives. She said that my hairs are thinner in the forehead, which is a symptom of alopecia areata, and that baldhead is a result of combination of genetics and stress. She claimed that she is an expert on hairs. For a kind of preemptive treatment, she recommended a special program for my hairs, which will cost about $3,000 for three months. I declined. Then she proposed a set of special shampoo and conditioner, which costs about $100. I again declined.

I am not quite sure how much my wife pays for her hairs, but I guess it is less than $50. I searched the internet and found that the most expensive hair salon in my country charges ca. $200 for straightening hairs. All women who listened to my story were surprised at the charge, and asked whether I feel sorry for my wife. All men who listened to my story said that I will never be bald as I am middle 40's, already passing the critical age for baldness.

Will I get bald? I am not quite sure.

Barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

soldierjane

•  

iminadaze

Hi Barbie,

It depends on how long the spots have been there, if your hair loss had occured over the last ten years or so then It is possible that you may never lose much, but if the hair loss has happened within a year or less then it could continue at the same rate and be double the size in the next year. It could also be the processing you put your hair through, both dying and chemical straightening can cause hair loss which is more of a patch type loss than a pattern balding type.
My hair loss was really bad, the spot on my crown was the size of a baseball and just skin and a few stray hairs, my hairline receeded to about an inch and a half of my crown spot. but with the hormones, dutasteride and minoxidil plus some other hair care methods I have recovered 75% of my hair. Your hair is so beautiful, if you are concerned that you may be losing even just a little of it then speak to a doctor about your options, don't even wait for the possibility of it getting worse.

Nicole

•  

MarySue

Quote from: barbie on December 27, 2008, 10:45:20 AM
.... All men who listened to my story said that I will never be bald as I am middle 40's, already passing the critical age for baldness.

Assuming you're not on hormones, I think that statement is pure baloney. I've never heard of a "critical age for baldness." Guys can start going bald anytime.

What they might have meant is that if you haven't had significant hair loss by your 40's, it's unlikely you'll be totally bald your 60's. But that doesn't mean you won't have noticeable hair loss.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Nicole_M on December 27, 2008, 12:46:07 PM
Hi Barbie,

It depends on how long the spots have been there, if your hair loss had occured over the last ten years or so then It is possible that you may never lose much, but if the hair loss has happened within a year or less then it could continue at the same rate and be double the size in the next year. It could also be the processing you put your hair through, both dying and chemical straightening can cause hair loss which is more of a patch type loss than a pattern balding type.

Nicole

Hi, Nicole,

Thanks for your advice. I do not have any spot yet, but the hair dresser diagnosed as such. Of course, I am not on any hormone. My hairs were used to be very thick and strong. Hair dressers used to comment that my hairs are like needles. After applying streightening perm, my hairs became thin. My wife complains that there are too many hairs to clean in my room. One day, I tried to count them and the number was about 10-20. I guessed my long hairs exaggerated the number. And the complaint of my wife on my hairs began about 3 years ago. Nowadays, after shampoo, I comb my hairs outdoors in the front of my apartment. I did not see any woman comb outdoors in my country, and I think it is a kind of taboo or etiquette.

Anyway I have better consult a doctor.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: MarySue on December 27, 2008, 02:22:54 PM

Assuming you're not on hormones, I think that statement is pure baloney. I've never heard of a "critical age for baldness." Guys can start going bald anytime.

MarySue,

I think you are right.

My wife commented that she would be really, really happy if I get bald. She believes that my long hair is a major obstacle in my professional career and getting higher salary. And some of my colleagues also comment and think as such. At least, my bald head would make some people happy  ;D

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Vicky

With the number of gorgeous wigs and other hair pieces out there for your time as Barbie , long hair on us CD's is a matter of choice and some personal vanity.  I actually love to be able to put on a nice wig and have it look right, and therefor I keep my own hair pretty short.  I did let it grow once, and when it reached maximum length at about the top of my shoulder, I looked like a weed and not a human being.  I tried for a year to get it to look good, but the only result I got was a year of looking pretty silly and paying three times what several nice wigs would have.  ???   "Oh vanity, thy name is woman!!"

So don't lose hope for a happy womanhood just because of hair loss.  Stress is a big issue in keeping hair, so be sure you are having stress free fun.  Oh, yes, I've NEVER  :P had a hair stylist talk me into something that would make her/him richer, and me poorer, but they HAVE TRIED.  ;D
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

barbie

Indeed, Vicky. I think more about stress. I drink nearly every night (drinking is a kind of social to keep good business relationships in this country), and sometimes I have to drink even I do not want.

Drinking is a major source of stress among men in my country. One of my male colleagues at my age wear an expensive wig as his daughter hates so much his baldhead. He sometimes complains that it is bothersome to wear the wig everyday, but nearly all people say he looks far younger. He is a heavy drinker.

Fortunately I regularly exercise by jogging and biking. It is good for lessening stress. It is a chilly night, but I just ran for about 1 hr just 2 hours ago. I wore a thick black pantystockings with athletic short pants, and a luminous jacket.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •