Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Should we really stop suicide?

Started by Terra, November 13, 2008, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terra

Quote from: lisagurl on January 01, 2009, 02:35:33 PM
Quoteyour reality

Not my reality I am dead remember just as everyone else. Remember reality is there regardless of humans. You seem to have a hard time understanding the concept of reality outside your own head or mine.

Ah a question of reality, something that is unique upon the beholder. If that were not true than how could so many different life philosophies exist?

But a more prudent argument is about the extent of the reality that affects the depressed person. The 'weight of the world' feeling is that of your reality being crushed down to just you. It is why individuals can commit suicide, after all we have a very, very strong will to live. All humans do and it takes some hardcore rewiring to change that. Religion is one way, it accounts for suicide bombers. Pain is another. For why else is torture employed to extract information? You are in so much pain that even if it hurts those around you, even your loved ones, you give the torturer what they want just to stop the pain. In a way that is what depression to the point of suicide is, torture to keep living and you want the pain to stop.

People can be trained to resist torture, this is true. But usually the training involves resisting torture inflicted on you to train you to resist it. Though therapy helps, there is no real way to resist the allure of suicide. It is alluring though, just as giving up to torture is alluring.

You can help bear the pain, but someone can never take on all of someone's pain. So ultimately it is the individuals not the people around them that decide if they will commit suicide. It is a choice, maybe misinformed but a choice. Though I would love to know where someone can make a completely informed decision, as there is always a chaotic element to any decision.

To be clear, I don't think suicide is the answer to any life problem. I think is an answer, but I don't think it is the answer. Just like anything else, there are countless ways to handle the situation, and thus my personal belief is that it is the individual's right to choose their course.
"If you quit before you try, you don't deserve to dream." -grandmother
  •  

Astral

Speaking of reality maybe you should read up on some quantum mechanics, it poses some interesting views on what reality is...

I think it's a voilation of human rights anyways... if you want to die, go ahead but please be nice enough to let us do some medical experiments on you to further our technology so the rest of us can live longer and more comfortably. After all, we are the ones who have to clean you off the floor or wherever =P.
  •  

sd

Quote from: Astral on January 04, 2009, 01:39:37 PM
After all, we are the ones who have to clean you off the floor or wherever =P.

Exactly why there should be a facility to deal with it.
It would at least on convenience the rest.

"So Joe how about lunch next Tuesday"
"Well Bob, I have my termination scheduled at 2, can we maybe have lunch at noon first, I don't want to be late"
"Sure thing Joe, and good luck"

But seriously, it would be less of a problem if it were dealt with properly.
  •  

Terra

Quote from: Leslie Ann on January 04, 2009, 08:57:03 PM

"Well Bob, I have my termination scheduled at 2, can we maybe have lunch at noon first, I don't want to be late"

...Well that is an interesting viewpoint. I am suddenly reminded of the first episode of Futerama. The scene with the suicide booth specifically.
"If you quit before you try, you don't deserve to dream." -grandmother
  •  

sd

Quote from: Terra on January 07, 2009, 03:59:57 AM
...Well that is an interesting viewpoint. I am suddenly reminded of the first episode of Futerama. The scene with the suicide booth specifically.
I don't think it should be quite that easy, but I do think people should have the right to end it peacefully.

And while not a big fan of the show, I loved that.
  •  

joannatsf

Quote from: Terra on January 07, 2009, 03:59:57 AM
Quote from: Leslie Ann on January 04, 2009, 08:57:03 PM

So, Welcome to te Monkey House!...just keep an eye out for Harrison Bergeron.
  •  

Julie Marie

When I read the title of this I remembered a suicide thread I started a couple of years ago.  The responses it generated were very powerful.

Julie

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,6105.msg44894.html#msg44894
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •