Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Breastforms

Started by sb155, January 08, 2009, 06:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sb155

I have a question about breastforms.  I recently got a decent (not great, but decent) pair and am having problems keeping them stuck.  I've tried using some of the 'it stays' from the breastform store but as soon as I start to sweat, or get my chest wet the adhesive comes off.  It's not all that strong to begin with.  Anyone have any recommendations for something that will hold them on better? 

I recently wore them for several hours in a sports bra while I was doing things outside -- it was an amazing feeling.  But when I started to sweat and move around too much they ended up sitting sideways at the bottom of the bra.

Thanks
  •  

lizbeth

it's been a while, but are they the self adhesive kind or the ones that you have to spray with glue? I don't think the tape has enough surface area to really attach well, perhaps the spray on glue would work better since the entire surface area is used to bond. I used to use Hollister adhesive, not sure if they are still around (quick google search said they are!)

are you using any lotions prior to attaching them? they attach best with clean dry skin (hairless of course). other than that, are you pressing them against your chest long enough to make sure they are bonding ok?

I never had good luck with the adhesive breastforms, they always started peeling up on the edges so I just gave up.
  •  

sb155

I'm using the self-adhesive kind, but adding some adhesive (the roll on 'it stays' from the breastform store for added holding power.  I usually apply it in a 1/4 to 1/2 inch line around the entire outside of the form, then press them in place for several minutes, or wear a farily tight sports bra for 30 minutes or so to make sure they're stuck-on well. 

Quote from: eliza beth on January 08, 2009, 06:52:33 PM
it's been a while, but are they the self adhesive kind or the ones that you have to spray with glue? I don't think the tape has enough surface area to really attach well, perhaps the spray on glue would work better since the entire surface area is used to bond. I used to use Hollister adhesive, not sure if they are still around (quick google search said they are!)

are you using any lotions prior to attaching them? they attach best with clean dry skin (hairless of course). other than that, are you pressing them against your chest long enough to make sure they are bonding ok?

I never had good luck with the adhesive breastforms, they always started peeling up on the edges so I just gave up.
  •  

banshee

I once had the full breast enhancers sold on the fredericks.com site and bought the bra that goes with it, the bra has slots for the breasts and the feel and look are pretty good, but you have to wear the bra for them for best effect, but sticking them into a regular bra is also nice though not as good as the pocket bra.

Would be nice to find a bra that perks up what you have more to simulate breasts and not cover the nipples with a lump of latex.... But I guess the only option would be a breast implant (impracticle for me, though tempting).
  •  

noleen111

I am looking into getting a decent pair of breast forms, although this post is scared me a little as I dont want mine to fall out.

I see there are so many types?

any suggestions,
Enjoying ride the hormones are giving me... finally becoming the woman I always knew I was
  •  

sb155

I can't help you with types, but I can say that even with their occasional problems, I wouldn't give mine up.  I put them on and once they warm up to body temperature they feel (and make me feel ;) amazing.

Quote from: noleen111 on January 09, 2009, 04:35:54 AM
I am looking into getting a decent pair of breast forms, although this post is scared me a little as I dont want mine to fall out.

I see there are so many types?

any suggestions,
  •  

mickie88

Quote from: sb155 on January 08, 2009, 06:11:49 PM
I have a question about breastforms.  I recently got a decent (not great, but decent) pair and am having problems keeping them stuck.  I've tried using some of the 'it stays' from the breastform store but as soon as I start to sweat, or get my chest wet the adhesive comes off.  It's not all that strong to begin with.  Anyone have any recommendations for something that will hold them on better? 

I recently wore them for several hours in a sports bra while I was doing things outside -- it was an amazing feeling.  But when I started to sweat and move around too much they ended up sitting sideways at the bottom of the bra.

Thanks

i'm guessing you've done a number of things not quite right when you bought these.

1. you got ones way too big for your body type( guessing)
2. you are wearing a sports bra with your breastforms.
3. you are adding adhesive to something that is already sticky.

the bigger the forms, the stronger the adhesive needs to be, i'm guessing you want to look normal and not have boobs someone pumped up with a helium tank. i would start by taking your measurements and buy a smaller size.

also they only recommend wearing adhesive breastforms no more than 6 hours at a time, (it was kind of hard for me working 8-10 hours a day, but mine were ok for awhile) more adhesive wasn't going to fix it.

sports bras-most of them don't have molded cups like regular bras to hold your forms in place where your breasts belong. i have worn nothing but underwire and push-up bras to hold my breasts where they belong, they also have tank tops with built-in bras for xtra support-they are called shelf bra tanks.

underwire and push-up bras with underwire are the best "regular" bras to hold adhesive breastforms, sports bras are a very very bad choice in my opinion for breastforms. hope i helped... ;D
  •  

sb155

Just wanted to post a follow-up.  I bought a can of the Hollister spray adhesive, and it worked perfectly!  The brestforms I have are a Large B cup, small C cup.  Probably a little small for my frame actually, but they pretty good. 

The hollister adhesive was exactly what I was looking for.  Once they're on firmly, they stay put.  I was outside moving around quite a bit and they didn't budge.  Even showered with them on.  A little more involved to remove them than with using 'It Stays' but definitely worth it if you're going to wear them for several hours at a time.

Thanks to all who responded.
  •  

Kallisty

Question - where did you buy the hollister spray adhesive and for how much?  I'd prefer to do it by going to the store and getting it rather than shopping online.
  •  

sb155

sorry, I purchased mine on-line.  A 3.2 ounce can of adhesive and a 50 pack of wipes (for adhesive removal) for $27 including shipping.
  •  

Vicky

The Hollister Adhesive is my favorite too, but just a small hint.  For me the stuff squirts out in a line, and I make concentric circles from a two inch circle in the dead center to the outer edge, BUT I do not complete the circle at the bottom, so sweat does not accumulate behind the forms.  You only need to make the gap about 0.25".  Make VERY sure the adhesive has dried, but is tacky.  (I didn't wait until it was dry the only time  I really should have, oh what a bust that was!! :o  I was a bridesmaid with a strapless gown on!!!   :icon_cool:)  When I put the forms on, I do it behind a good solid front bra to help me position the forms.  Make VERY sure the band of the bra is snug below the forms and the cup size is the size they will make you.  (Be sure of your size.)  Press each form on gently, but do it from the center outward to get any air out.  Wear the bra for about 10 minutes, and then you can change your bra to a little fancier one, or go without!!!  Have fun.

I only use the stuff occasionally, but I am about two cup sizes bigger than you are, and their weight alone with the proper bra on keeps them looking nice.  For some reason, I get "read" less often with the big ones than smaller ones.  Another caution, the bigger the forms are, the lower on your body they go!!  Most "girlzz" that are new put them right below their chin it seems, no good!!!.  Be sure the bra straps are long enough for you, since m2f's have longer torso's.  Just My Size which Wal Mart and Target, and a bunch of other stores carry has long enough straps to put the forms on your body right.  I have been wearing mine for quite a while, and I fully agree with you about the feeling.  :-*
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Anastasia

I have some questions about breatforms, too. I am planning on going to a nearby city (Nashville, if anybody has any suggestions) to buy breastforms.
Quoteare you using any lotions prior to attaching them? they attach best with clean dry skin (hairless of course).
Makes wonder if I will be wasting my money. My wife has forbidden me from shaving my chest. If the glue won't stick to a hairy chest and the forms cann't really be worn without adhesive, will I be wasting my time and money? On the other hand, she did say that if I had a "ripped" chest, she wouldn't mind if I shaved. I guess buying a pair of breastforms could be inspiration to get in shape. ^-^
    When/if I go to the store, are there any etiquette matters I should be aware of? or is this something that is in really poor taste? or do they help men with breastforms a lot? I would prefer to buy them where I can get help with size and style, instead of online. I have wasted too much money on bras that really didn't fit. How much can I expect to spend? Can I get something nice for under $100.00?

Thanks
  •  

Vicky

Anastasia:

Check out the main resource page here on the forum, and you will find TG friendly stores located in most parts of the country.  I don't know about Nashville, but I would not be surprised if there is one there.  Some of their stuff may be a bit more expensive than it could be, but they are helpful. 

If you go to a store that caters to post mastectomy patients, CALL AHEAD and ask them about their service.  Pardon the phrase, but be up front with them and you may get service on their terms, which is usually great.  Just barge in, and they will ask you to leave, or will quickly help you out the door themselves.

For under $100 you are looking at a pair of weighted foam rubber forms that have a cloth covering.  They are not as nice as silicone forms, but would do for a starter pair, since they run around $60 or less.  The bigger the size, the closer to $60. I have owned a pair and had many great nights out when I looked good and felt good.  Silicone forms can be under $200 at places that sell non-medical forms, they are usually "seconds", but I have two sets of that kind that have given me good use for many years.  You do have to be careful not to puncture the plastic cover on them. 

YOU DO NOT NEED GLUE!!!!  Any forms that have some weight to them will stay put nicely in a good bra.  Solid, full front cups are best until you get used to them.  I only use glue for VERY special outings en femme, and not all of  those.  I can even wear my forms  in a swimming suit without glue.   Make sure of the band size of the bra you are  getting, and then choose a cup size you would like to be.  As I said above, I look better in a C or D than a smaller size, but that's not true for everyone.  Look at the GG's in your birth family, and use them as a clue to what size to use. When you have an idea, use the right band size, and the cup size of dreaming. 
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

01803lpn

This was one of the most informative posts I have ever read.  Thank you so much for the advice.  I will be purchasing some forms soon.  I have to do it online because I just dont have the courage to do it any other way but now at least I know where to start my search. :)
  •  

tamarav

I wear my breast forms everyday at work and do not wear a bra.  Obviously I glue them on and I have had only one incident with my glue losing it's grip and sliding downward.  That was with Hollister 7730 which I have used for years, but had never subjected my forms to such abuse.  I was doing permanent makeup on a client and leaning over my procedure bed when I felt one of my forms start sliding down my chest.  It was warm and I was perspiring and the perspiration simply loosened the glue.  I was able to finish and the client left but I did have to clean up the breast form area and re-apply adhesive to keep both in place the remainder of the day.

Now I use 3m Super && spray adhesive and Good Gone to remove the forms.  I have been doing that for over 3 years and have had no problems since I started this new routine. Anyone that wants further details please ask. I do have a long write-up on a web site that has a lot of information on it about this subject

Tami
  •  

mickie88

Quote from: tamarav on January 31, 2009, 01:13:57 PM

Now I use 3m Super && spray adhesive and Good Gone to remove the forms.  I have been doing that for over 3 years and have had no problems since I started this new routine. Anyone that wants further details please ask. I do have a long write-up on a web site that has a lot of information on it about this subject

Tami

you mean GOO gone right?
  •  

amber

Tami i would love to get that info from you, i have recently bought my first set of forms (large B small C) and i think glue is the right way to go.
  •  

Jody

Hey all Great place to get silicon forms. www.Truekare.com. I bought "d" in the not perfect area. $48.00 and there is nothing wrong with them. They have an adhesive back and feel great. At the time I bought mine they only had D's and larger but a friend bought herself a "second" not quite perfect B for the same $48.00.
  •