Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How should our community respond to humor in the media aimed at trans people?

Started by suzifrommd, July 11, 2015, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How should our community respond to humor in the media aimed at trans people?

Ignore it. People find jokes about trans people funny. Let them laugh. Where's the harm?
Speak up. When people think our lives are a subject of humor, they're less likely to take us or our rights seriously.

suzifrommd

Trans people's lives are a frequent staple of comics. Humor aimed at trans people is common in the media, as exemplified by a recent comedic exchange between Jerry Seinfeld and Stephen Colbert.

Some say that being the butt of jokes fosters discrimination. Many groups in the past - African-Americans, Jews, and women come to mind - have pressed the media to portray their members with sensitivity rather than treating them as objects of humor. But the reaction in the trans community has been far more muted. The prevailing opinion seems to be that these types of jokes are harmless and not worth our efforts to combat.

What do you think?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

enigmaticrorschach

people are extreme idiots. i'd just let them laugh all they want to. not that i care.
  •  

Girl Beyond Doubt

We should help write the jokes the media disseminate, and show our friendly nature and our sense of humor to the world.
The people must learn to see us in a positive light, and humor can work for us, because it usually slips under peoples' defenses.

Trying to stifle it will make us appear angry and threatening.
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Jayne

Humor can be great at breaking barriers, when its done well we should applaud it, when its meant to offend we should oppose it.
The intent is just as important as the comment
  •  

Promethea

Unfortunately I can't vote on this poll because you've reduced it to black and white. This subject, like mostly everything in life, including gender, allows for a wide spectrum of greys.

There's still lots of humour about black people (a lot of it done by black people), but very little is racist humour.

There's still lots of humour about women (a lot of it done by women), but very little is sexist humour.

There's still lots of humour about Jews (a lot of it done by Jews), but very little antisemitic humour.

I wonder if there is a pattern here...

I've already expressed my views on Jerry Seinfeld's joke. I believe, if we want to be taken seriously, we need to get over ourselves, and differentiate between transphobic jokes and jokes about transsexuality.
Life is a dream we wake from.

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: Promethea on July 11, 2015, 12:13:22 PM
Unfortunately I can't vote on this poll because you've reduced it to black and white. This subject, like mostly everything in life, including gender, allows for a wide spectrum of greys.

There's still lots of humour about black people (a lot of it done by black people), but very little is racist humour.

There's still lots of humour about women (a lot of it done by women), but very little is sexist humour.

There's still lots of humour about Jews (a lot of it done by Jews), but very little antisemitic humour.

I've already expressed my views on Jerry Seinfeld's joke. I believe we need to get over ourselves, and differentiate between transphobic jokes and jokes about transsexuality.

^^^^^^^ This.
  •  

Mariah

totally agree. When I first this pull I didn't see anything I could mark because it's not that simple, but I think you explained it better than I ever could have hoped too. Hugs
Mariah

I've already expressed my views on Jerry Seinfeld's joke. I believe, if we want to be taken seriously, we need to get over ourselves, and differentiate between transphobic jokes and jokes about transsexuality.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

janetcgtv

I didn't vote either.
if the joke is a put down on us I'm against it.

If its a joke about an amusing situation(no harm in it). I'm okay with it.

Like I did not laugh at a gays joke about a stewardess being sucked out of a plane when the fuselage came off from the top while in flight.She died. The joke was directed at a certain individual.

I'm a heart attack victim. I'm okay with heart attack jokes because they are not directed at a certain individual.

•  

rachel89

we need more trans* comedians. In some ways there has been a lot of progress in the last couple years. I think Transparent is an example of this by getting laughs from the awkward situations that come as part of transitioning. I even think there is a place for dark humour and tasteless jokes, if they aren't done for the purpose of dehumanizing trans* people.

•  

katrinaw

Totally agreed...

Thankyou Promethea

Katy xx
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Lady Smith

My ex is Jewish and she knew so many wonderful Jewish jokes and stories.  Humor is fine so long as it's not being used to put anyone down in a cruel or unfeeling way.
  •  

Kylo

Humour is a coping mechanism and distinct from hatred. If someone is making a joke about trans people I can see immediately the difference between bothering to concoct humour and just outright denouncing us or announcing their hatred. And frankly I'm fine with jokes. I don't care if they are made. I could make a cis joke if I wanted to, to help cope with being trans and I should be able to. They should be able to joke about trans people and so should other trans people be able to joke about trans people or being trans. If you take away humour that's one less way fear can be explored and defused without violence.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •