Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

New here, with questions

Started by RedLightDistrict, August 14, 2006, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedLightDistrict

Hello everyone, my name's Chris, and I'm FTM.  I'm not really bothered by my gender identity disorder.  I do, however, want to transition at some point.  I also have a few questions, both for those who have been on T, and those who have not.  First off, will the shape of my feet change?  Whenever I try to wear men's shoes that don't have flat soles, it ends up being very painful.  Also, is there any chance of height growth if I transition now or as later ?  I'm currently 5'7".  In addition, what with college application time right around the corner, do you think I'd get any points for being transgender, since diversity is what colleges want nowadays?  I'll probably be applying to an Ivy League and other high-ranked schools in the Northeast.  Last, in regards to double incision top surgery, is there any other less-controversial surgery I could blame the scar on?  I can't say I'd be quite comfortable telling people I used to be a woman every time I go to the pool or beach.  Thanks guys!  :)

[Edit] Removed references to age - Steph[/edit]
  •  

Dennis

First, with respect to growth, if you haven't finished growing, you may get an extra inch or two from being on T. Not sure if your feet change shape. They do change size, how much depends on whether you've finished growing or not in general.

As far as the scars for double incision, nobody asks actually. It doesn't register with people that that's the reason you have them. The only time I've been asked was by an acupuncturist and he assumed that I was bio male and had had gynecomastia. When I actually had the surgery, if people asked what I was going in for I told them I had a couple of lumps removed.

Also, some of the more genetically blessed will develop chest hair to hide them somewhat.

Not sure about diversity points for being trans; I guess it would be up to the individual college policy.

Dennis
  •  

Andrew

Hi. I'm Andrew, and I have some experience with your specific college app question. I think if you're going to major in a more male-dominated field (math, the sciences) then you'll want to apply as a female. I don't know that they specifically give you points for being transgendered, although you could work that into a very meaningful essay.

Okey-doke, now here's my biased answer: apply to Williams College. Not everyone's heard of them, but they're the top-ranked four-year college in the country, and unlike many liberal arts colleges, they have a VERY good science curriculum. Most of all, they were very helpful and understanding about the transgender thing. They gave me a single room on both of my visits and for the school year, and the director of the health center was really knowledgeable about trans issues. When I went there for a month for their Summer Science Program, I wasn't quite open about being trans, but it got out eventually and people were very understanding.

I'm saying this not just as an FTM but as a fellow intellectual--Williams is awesome!
Lock up yer daughters.
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Hi Chris,
Welcome to Susan's.
I'm glad you found the site.
If your look for friends and or information about gender issues this is the place.
Please read the site rules at:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,2.0.html if you haven't already.
Then check out the Wiki, with ton of info on the gender topics. Oh and check out our chat and links section too. Have a great read.
I'm glad to meet you.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

amberctm

Hey Chris!
To answer the part about school...no points for being trans. :-\ But on the other hand there are scholarships for GLBT persons, just Google it.
I just got done at the community college and transferring to Johnson State in Vermont. I wish I could go to an Ivy League school, but the VA is paying for everything so I'll take what I can get! After JSC hopefully it off to Vermont Law School!
Amber
  •  

Luc

Nice to have you aboard, Chris... when I applied to grad schools this past fall, I was told not to say anything about the fact I was trans, because this would be likely to cause discrimination. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any laws preventing colleges or other organizations from discriminating against someone on the basis of being transsexual, and it can be a big problem.

Wish I could answer your other questions, but I'm not that far yet. Let me know if I can help with anything else, though, even if you just need to talk... my email's on my profile.

Rafe
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

Julie Marie

Hi Chris, welcome!

I'm an electrician, not a doctor so don't take this as gospel... but I have been reading anything I can get my hands on over the past 55 years in hopes of finding something that will make me the woman I feel I should have been. No, I never found anything.

That being said, what I have learned over the years is the human body has growth plates that allow us to grow. Once they have fused, that's it, no more growth. Typically the human body continues some level of growth up to the age of 25. From what I've read, after that we begin to shrink but it's not normally noticeable until the later years.

Something I have also noticed is the human body can grow things through outside intervention, such as hormones, but it cannot shrink the same things to the same level.  So if you go on T, your boobs may shrink but they won't disappear.  If a MTF goes on E, the beard may slow growth but won't disappear. So it's grow, yes; shrink, probably not.

Soft tissues are the most dramatically affected for growth but not as much for "shrinkage".  Once you've stopped growing don't count on your bone structure to change much except to make you shorter as you grow older.

Rule of thumb, if it's bony mass you want to change, the younger the better. But that is true for the entire body.  It's just that bones don't change nearly as much as soft tissue.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

tinkerbell

Hi Chris and welcome to Susan's!

Please feel free to explore every little corner of our site, for there is a tremendous amount of information stored in all of our forums.  Also take advantage of our chat room and our wiki, and don't forget to get familiar with the site rules ;)

Well, the effects of cross gender hormones vary from person to person, but one has to be realistic on the expectations.  Testosterone causes dramatic changes in the FTM transsexual (i.e. increase of libido, reduction of breast tissue, hair growth, menses interruption, voice deepening, etc).  Nevertheless it does not change certain characteristics which have already been set during puberty such as bone structure, size of hands or feet, height, hips, etc.

Please take a sec to read the following link from our wiki regarding testosterone and its effects: https://www.susans.org/wiki/Testosterone

Welcome and enjoy your stay...we look forward to your sharing of ideas through more of your posts.. ;)

tinkerbell
  •  

Buffy

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Susan's

Hope you enjoy making friends and getting loads of information, there is a lot here.

College was then happiest time of my life and I wish you every success in applying and getting a good qualification in the years ahead.

Buffy
  •  

HelenW

Hello Chris, and Welcome!

And, yeah, what they said.

(the normally not so succinct)
helen
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •