Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Law & Order: SVU

Started by Luc, February 17, 2009, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luc

Tonight's episode covered the story of a man beaten nearly to death by an unknown assailant. Sounds pretty basic for this show, to which I'm hopelessly addicted. Trick is, the man's progeny is a transsexual, a 13-year-old mtf who is desperate to get on hormone blockers to stop her impending puberty. Her father is against the blockers, which makes her suicidal and, perhaps, patricidal.

I don't want to give away the ending, in case anyone is able to catch this on a rerun, on demand, or whatever might be the case. However, I wanted to note that I'm enjoying this newfound publicity for transfolk; for once, it's more than just Jerry Springer or some such tabloid b.s. Bones had an excellent episode involving a trans woman a few months ago, and now SVU is covering an even less-exposed aspect of transsexualism, that of pre-pubertal transition. While at the start of the episode I was afraid it might turn into another debate of whether men could really be women and vice-versa, the episode ended on an excellent note, one that makes me think maybe this world isn't lost in terms of accepting trans folk.

Excellent episode... if anyone has the chance, watch it.

SD
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

sarahb

It's actually on right now (west coast). There's definitely been a lot of coverage of transsexuals on TV lately. I'm curious to see how they'll portray it, but it's good to hear that you give it good marks. I'll update my review of it when it's over.

-------- Update --------

Oh my god, this episode really got to me  :'( It seemed like they were really, strongly pushing the truth of transsexualism. The way they twisted it and explained the facts, and especially how they ended it, it was really good. Wow, maybe things are shifting in society's perception.
  •  

Nero

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

Quote from: Laura91 on February 18, 2009, 09:29:48 AM
Last nights episode of SVU was really good, but then again I am a total Law & Order fanatic so I am a bit biased.  ;D There were several times where the dialouge could have come out of my own mouth (in the case of the transgirl), which was really trippy. Although I have to admit that the part about the dad not being accepting of her (at least at first) hit me a little closer to home than I would have liked. So, yeah, it was a really great episode, that's all.  :D (seriously, I could make this a HUGE, gushing post but I won't.)

C'mon Laura, go for it! Gush away! We haven't heard you gushing in a long time, let it fly :)
  •  

Arch

This epi was pretty decent in most respects. It is supposed to rerun on Saturday--the episode title is "Transitions," and you can search for it on zap2it.com. In my area, it's 2/21 at 9 p.m. on NBC. It also seems to be showing on Sunday 3/1 at midnight on USA.

All the same, I wish more TV shows would focus on FTMs occasionally. I've only seen a couple of those. Of course, I don't watch a ton of TV shows.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Luc

Yeah, that would be VERY nice. I watch probably more TV than anyone should, and I have yet to see a sitcom/drama with an ftm character, with the exception of The L Word. I honestly have to wonder if it's due to the media bias toward males... while mtfs obviously are NOT male, the media may see them as such, hence the larger focus. I say this because I recall that while gay men were featured on TV from the 80s on, lesbianism took quite awhile to hit the media.

Either that, or it could just be that few people even know of the existence of ftms. Perhaps it's time we make ourselves known.

SD
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

•  

Arch

Spoilers, kind of.

SVU sorta had an FTM...but not really. It was a spin on David Reimer. Teenage girl was born as a boy and goes back to being a boy by the end of the episode.

And I remember an old epi of Chicago Hope that had a boy who was actually/supposedly a girl. It's been a long time since I saw that episode, so I don't even remember whether the kid identified as male or not. Or maybe I'm getting this epi mixed up with another one...a boy whose penis was accidentally cut off, so he's brought up as a girl.

Hm. Is this the only story arc they have?

I'm sure I must have seen one or two real FTM characters...but if I have, why don't I remember them?
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Linus

QuoteEither that, or it could just be that few people even know of the existence of ftms. Perhaps it's time we make ourselves known.

QuoteI'm sure I must have seen one or two real FTM characters...but if I have, why don't I remember them?

I have to admit I enjoyed the SVU episode the other night. It was probably one of the better episodes dealing with transsexualism and younger individuals. And yes, the ending was rather shocking (although I kinda suspected -- the horror of the tale was gut-wretching).

As to the visibility of FTMs, this is something that is often debated. And I wonder if it's more of a combination of things.

1. FTMs often blend in faster/easier (???) and end up stealth more likely?

2. Because of #1, then people don't realize/know that FTMs exist (the proverbial unicorn).

We're definitely out there and we are far more than Beattie. Perhaps as time passes, there will be more FTM/transguy kind of stories.
My Personal Blog: http://www.syrlinus.com
My Cigar Blog: http://www.cigarnewbie.com
  •  

placeholdername

I started watching the episode directly after browsing these forums without knowing what it was about, and then when it started I was like, whoa!.  I mean it's not really a terrible coincidence because I watch it every week, but still, it was weird.  I really liked the episode, and my heart went up the moment the mom said "it's haley, not henry" or whatever it was she said.  But then it also made me sad because I wish I was still that age so I could take puberty blockers.

It also makes me curious about the actor(?) who plays the girl.  Obviously (I think) it's a male because haley is shirtless in that one scene, but do you think the actor is full on normal just playing the part?  I mean, s/he has the hair in a very girlish cut.  It's possible s/he just did it that way for the one episode, but that seems like a lot of dedication.  So I guess I'm wondering if the actor may already 'fit the role' so to speak.

There was also the FTM guy (right?) at the COA group who looked like he had facial hair and definitely passed as FTM (as opposed to genetic one way or the other) but I wonder about makeup and such.
  •  

Jamie-o

Quote from: Arch on February 18, 2009, 07:32:41 PM
I'm sure I must have seen one or two real FTM characters...but if I have, why don't I remember them?

The only one I can think of was the FtM minister fighting to get his congregation back on an episode of Eli Stone a few months ago. 
  •  

Luc

The kid who played Hailey/Henry was a genetic boy... since he hasn't been in anything else, there's not much info on him. My guess is he was just a boy trying to get into the acting world and didn't mind playing a young mtf to get a breakout role.

The FtM in that episode was played by Daniela Sea, of L Word fame... she does look masculine, yeah, but a lot of women can with enough makeup. She plays an FtM on The L Word as well.

SD

•