Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The Starbucks Problem

Started by mina.magpie, February 14, 2009, 07:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

but here in the rest of the world we aren't jealous of the USA!

OH MY GOD!  Spoken like a true brit - by the way, the sun rose and set upon that Empire long, long ago now.  Out here on the West (Left) Coast of the US, we don't think of your little island nation at all except as a place to buy antiques. 

Outside of NYC and Boston, no one in this country thinks of England, or even Europe, at all.  The money is in the Pacific Basin.  China, Japan, AUS, NZ and all that.

Really, get a grip.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Alyssa M.

To be precise, in Boston people mostly think of the British in relation to certain historical events. Boston is united by hatred of the New York Yankees and lobsterbacks.

Yes, we Americans know how much the rest of the world doesn't envy us. If foreigners keep saying it, they might eventually believe it themselves.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

tekla

Yes, we Americans know how much the rest of the world doesn't envy us. If foreigners keep saying it, they might eventually believe it themselves.

Awe honey, I knew I liked you for a reason, thank's for giving it to me at long last.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Natalie3174

Its a matter of good business sense. Starbucks made it to the end of the line and opened up a store way over here in Tasmania. They were open longer than other coffee shops. They had good food and coffee. A pleasant atmosphere but they had terrible sevice. I remember going in there once thinking this looks nice. But there was no service. The place was huge and had a line up to the counter but there was only 2 or 3 people working there. They are closed down now!
  •  

mina.magpie

Quote from: Alyssa M. on February 26, 2009, 12:15:25 AMYes, we Americans know how much the rest of the world doesn't envy us. If foreigners keep saying it, they might eventually believe it themselves.

Hahahahahacoughsplutter!

Mina.
  •  

imaz

Quote from: tekla on February 26, 2009, 12:03:28 AM
but here in the rest of the world we aren't jealous of the USA!

OH MY GOD!  Spoken like a true brit - by the way, the sun rose and set upon that Empire long, long ago now.  Out here on the West (Left) Coast of the US, we don't think of your little island nation at all except as a place to buy antiques. 

Outside of NYC and Boston, no one in this country thinks of England, or even Europe, at all.  The money is in the Pacific Basin.  China, Japan, AUS, NZ and all that.

Really, get a grip.

There's more to life than money...

I notice you left Indonesia and Malaysia out of your "list".

I repost my original post, the rest of the world isn't just the UK or Europe -

I agree with all that you say but here in the rest of the world we aren't jealous of the USA!

Maybe the UK, Israel, Australia and Poland to name a few have a tendency to be the US's lapdogs but elsewhere? In my experience the US has a very bad reputation throughout most of the world, a reputation worsened by it's military interventions, support of Israel's racist policies and promotion of Coups d'états and regime change in many countries.

Of course we don't blame the American people for their government's policies but we do see the US in a very different light from most Americans.

Peace and love

•  

Rachael

Wondered if this was about me for a moment... heh.

That magazine cover.... wow.... oh gosh! someone tried to teach them something but the facts of our cult! quick! dont let them see outside!
  •