Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Turkey's battles with Islamic creationists continue

Started by mina.magpie, March 12, 2009, 02:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mina.magpie

I know it's not strictly trans-related, but since the same people that champion creationism often have it in for gender-variant people as well, I thought it might be of interest.

Just goes to show though that science and fundamentalism are a volatile mix everywhere.

Turkey's battles with Islamic creationists continue (New Scientist)

The battle between science and its enemies is hotting up in Turkey. This week the editor of the excellent popular science magazine, Bilim ve Teknik (Science and Technology) published by the Turkish national science council TUBITAK, was reportedly sacked, and its planned cover feature celebrating this year's Darwin anniversary pulled, to be replaced by one on global warming.

That is ironic considering global warming is another well-established bit of science often derided by many of the same people with doubts about evolution. But it is not surprising. Like their colleagues everywhere, Turkish scientists have organised celebrations of Darwin's 200th birthday.

But they have run real risks doing so.

Turkey is the Muslim world's centre of creationism and opposition to Darwin. In another irony, it may have been fostered by US Christian creationists who came to Turkey  to look for remnants of Noah's ark on Mount Ararat.

Mina.

•  

imaz

Well, Turkey seems to have accepted transexual Bülent Ersoy fairly well despite all her terrible plastic surgery!

As for "Harun Yahya" he's a self publicising idiot who talks rubbish.

Never understood the "creationist" viewpoint, can't see any difficulty between evolution and being a believer...

•