Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

(pics)How I got my hair from PURPLE to GREEN without FRYING it

Started by Annwyn, April 26, 2009, 04:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annwyn

Kay so, I've been into the hair dye thingy for a bit now.  Er well, it's getting to where it's a competition between my regional district manager glaring at me and telling me to change my hair to me hissing and coming back with something even MORE extravagant only to get more glares and thus more hissing from me.

So well, first off is I believe in conditioning.  I don't shampoo it much, I just use a really powerful jet from my shower head(it's adjustable) to pound hot water into my scalp all around and stuff.  Then I deep condition for 2 minutes, then I condition.  Then I put in a leave in conditioner, then I do the whole dry/straighten thing.  Every day.  That's how I keep my hair that I'm constantly dying softer and rejuvenated over others who haven't ever touched dye in their entire lives.

A lot of the younger population on here is into alternative style, and so different hair colors is one of them.  Red, purple, orange, pink, green, etc.  All fun.
For all of those, you gotta start by bleaching it.  White Out at Hot Topic works great.  Mix it up, comb it in with a wide tooth comb, leave it in as long as you possibly can, and then rinse it out.  Put in the toner and leave it in a good half hour, rinse it out.  Should look something like this:

Legally blonde.  Absolutely.

This is the time when you put on a deep conditioning butter thing.  I use Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat.  After the bleaching, your hair is crying for moisture and repair, and this is the best stuff for it as far as every reputable stylist I've talked to.  Use about a table spoon(usual is less than a teaspoonful) and load it in there.

While that's getting in there, take another deep conditioner like Garnier Fructis or Pantene Hair Mask and your designated alternative color (Raw, Color Fiend, etc) and make a half and half mixture.  If you want to make it unique, these colors can be mixed together.  Nothing wrong with mixing pink with purple or junk like that, get creative with it, it is YOUR LOOK after all.

Take some chapstick and put it around your hairline and ears and rub some on your hands too, to stop the dye from staining your skin(if you're paranoid or overtly pale)

Mix it up, comb it in, leave it in for 30ish minutes.

wash it out.  If it's a darker color then use shampoo too and recondition it afterwards.  Kinda like this now:

At this point your hair should feel salon treated, exceedingly conditioned and in pristine condition despite the pounding it's had.  If it's a color you want to keep for a while, keep in mind that these are demi-perm colors.  Means they only last about a month before starting to fade significantly.  Grab a bottle of conditioner, pour 1/4th of it out, and mix in some of the color with it.  Condition daily, don't shampoo unless jetting it heavily with hot water doesn't do the trick for you.  That'll keep it brilliant.  Although, I like it best when it's faded out a bit... IMHO.

Always take a multivitamin, preferably a flintstones because those Centrums put way too much in a tiny little pill than your body can even hope to digest given even 48 hours controlled release.  Lots of flintstones:D  Keep your hair healthier before it's even out your scalp!

Enjoy:D

•  

Cindy

Hi Annwyn

You did well. Can I tell something about the biology of hair?

The hair on your head that you see is dead. It is purely expressed protein. Nothing you do to that hair will affect the hair follicle except kill it.  Colouring your hair is safe in most females as they produce more, on their head, than testorone treated people do.  Females lose more head hair a day than males.   The  Ph of the scalp skin is Ph 3-5, as is the rest of the surface skin. Products that say they promote a Ph of 7 may not be what you want               

There is more s**t in cosmetic treatments than in anything else  beyond the UN.

Sorry

Cindy James         
  •  

Jay

•  

NicholeW.

Quote from: CindyJames on April 26, 2009, 05:43:36 AM

The hair on your head that you see is dead. It is purely expressed protein. Nothing you do to that hair will affect the hair follicle except kill it.  Colouring your hair is safe in most females as they produce more, on their head, than testorone treated people do.  Females lose more head hair a day than males.   The  Ph of the scalp skin is Ph 3-5, as is the rest of the surface skin. Products that say they promote a Ph of 7 may not be what you want               

Sorry

Cindy James         

Much of what you say is true, but think also, if you will, for a moment that the cotton, linen, rayon and wool of your clothing are nothing but dead fibers. Yet, there are ways to make them softer or to totally fry them as well.

The fact that something is dead doesn't mean it's texture cannot be softened. Right?

As for the chemical points, yes, there are a lot of chemical compounds in cosmetics. At least in most. There are a lot of chemical compounds in most foodd available for most people and there are a lot of chemical compounds in our environmental air, water, soil. Escaping the chemical nature of modern industrial/post-industrial culture is pretty much impossible.

On the other hand :) Ann, thanks for telling me how I can avoid turning my hair purple!! LOL!!

You look better and better with each pic I see of you. :icon_hug:

Nichole

•  

Annwyn

Quote from: CindyJames on April 26, 2009, 05:43:36 AM
Hi Annwyn

You did well. Can I tell something about the biology of hair?

Sorry

Cindy James       

Let's address this from the start.

There's a multi-million dollar industry of scientists studying every single thing about your hair and how to make it healthier, curlier, straighter, or what the friggin H ever.  There's an even larger industry applying the legitimate results they come up with and patent then produce onto the scalps of the generally interested population called the cosmetic industry..  You know, the people that use the stuff so they know what works and what doesn't, a professional "double check" to the scientists(half of which are probably bald anyways).  Even after that, there's reputations of products, which ones sell best(Infusium 23 barely advertises and most salon people fully acknowledge it's damned good considering it's been around for over 30 years and is still the best leave in treatment around).  Or like Pantene, not good for Asian hair because it makes it fall out, etc.  Lots of google references to go by.  So that's a triple check-up system that I'm fairly certain goes beyond the basic bio 101 class of PH and acids/bases.  Therefore, I can pretty much say that it's way above your head, and mine too.  Maybe a professor of cosmetology could explain it on a chemical and biological level in a way that someone like me, (a med student) could understand, but as of right now even I can't completely fathom it all.

If you'd like me to explain it with some of my more recent exposure to the exact material: Proteins are very complex and diverse and the primary protein concerned with in hair is, "keratin."  The follicles are layers of circular strands of this protein.  I doubt the main focus is on the PH when there's a wide variety of things a conditioner could target besides ph.

Post Merge: April 26, 2009, 10:59:32 AM

The reason I stated that the hair is, "dying for moisture" is because it's completely and utterly DRY and an friction at ALL is going to continue damaging it, and continued exposure to air makes it dry out even MORE.  So the best thing is to get it coated with the Butter Treat to soak in moisture and lubricate it immediately, then and there!

Post Merge: April 26, 2009, 12:07:07 PM

Oh yeah, just waking up: most shameless cam whoring!

•  

tekla

Now all you have to do is learn 3 chords and you can start a punk band.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Annwyn

•  

tekla

Oh, good start, attitude in punk music is far more important than the music itself.
  •  

Annwyn

Quote from: tekla on April 26, 2009, 12:34:24 PM
Oh, good start, attitude in punk music is far more important than the music itself.

I hate punk music.

I also hate cyber punks like you.

It's all a focus on angst, like highschool splayed out with a bunch of junkies knocking up some strings on stage.

The predominant thought going through my mind at such displays is, "grow up, punks."
  •  

tekla

While the main thoughts running through their minds is a) I hope the check clears, and b) I hope we sold enough t-shirts to get enough gas to make it to the next gig. 

But really, I bet you'd be good at being a front person for a band. You have the looks, the attitude and your very outgoing.  You don't have to like the music - liking the music if for fans, not for bands.  A pretty good friend of mine plays bass for a huge arena-level county band.  I asked him once how he got into that and he said "I majored in jazz in college."  "So, how does that lead to country?"  "I was starving and wanted to eat, when was the last time a jazz band sold out an arena?"  And I don't think Nashville is ready for a trans front person yet - but there is, and has been, quite a bit of gender bending in punk music.

I mean hey, all I know about hair is, when it get too long for me to stand it, I cut it very short.  My GF thinks its special when I comb it rather than just putting a hat on.   

But really, I meant it as a complement.  What else do people think of when they see green/purple/blue hair?  Well other then Larry Welk, he had a lot of blue haired ladies in his fan club.
  •  

Cindy

When I worked in the Biotech industry the ongoing joke was, We will produce a cure for cancer, but first to increase the stock we'll make a new shampoo.

When I was doing a research project on hair recycling in rats (which was along time ago :D) The best "shampoo" we found was sodium lauryl sulphate, which is the basic ingredient of all shampoos. It also didn't give any skin irritation. There are usually a few sorbate compounds to make it foam, as well as perfumes. Most conditioners contain saccharide derived compounds to give the shiny look.
Is there a difference between cheap shampoos and expensive ones? Yes, the price mainly.

Just my 5 cents worth, not meaning to be argumentative.
I'm feeling far too flat for that today, crawling not walking

LoL
Cindy James
  •  

Annwyn

I'm failing to understand how shampoo has any significance in this thread.  Conditioner maybe, but not shampoo.  I already said I don't even use that stuff.

Being punk or whatever?

Pssht.  Yeah right.  I'm not pretty enough as a girl for that stuff, and if I bound my breasts and went as a really pretty guy it'd be living a lie and bleeding it to the media.

Gender identity disorder: an affliction in which an individual feels his/her gender is being inadequately expressed.
It's a failure of expression.
The solution: self expression through a process of actions in increasing severity.
A strong urge to be self expressive through gender doesn't mean there's a strong urge to be self expressive otherwise, in fact I find in us younger trans it's really hand in hand.

Green hair, motorcycles, tattoos, and guns are just my way of being self expressive, as well as boobs and skirts.
  •  

sd

Quote from: CindyJames on April 26, 2009, 10:09:53 PM
sodium lauryl sulphate, which is the basic ingredient of all shampoos.
Not all, it's hard on your hair so many people avoid it.
  •