Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

the passing of time

Started by Natasha, May 22, 2009, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miniar

Quote from: Alyssa M. on May 23, 2009, 02:40:48 PM
Okay, everything is "constructed" in the sense that we experience the world through the processes of our senses filtered through our minds. But if everything has property "X," then property "X" is a very boring property. You are a construct, love and suffering are constructs, sound is a construct, <insert your favorite noun> is a construct -- that's not deep, it's trivial.

Sorry, but while there are certain phenomena out there that are "merely" constructs, or at least closer to it, time is not one of them.

Decided I'd go back and address this comment a little.
See, I'm not trying to be deep here.
The thing about time is that our measurement of time is causality, "by the time the watch has gone through the necessary motions, one minute has passed", a minute doesn't exist in and of itself, it only exists as a series of nows.
And once that minute has passed, the world of a minute ago has changed, and the world that "was" a minute ago isn't the same that the world is now, it's not the same thing, so the world of a minute ago doesn't exist.
Lets say you have a whole orange and you cut it in half, you still have "all" of the orange, but it's in two pieces, it'll never be "a whole orange" uncut and pristine again. The "whole" orange doesn't exist any more, even if the whole of the orange still does.
And say you intend to eat that orange, because you're thirsty. Until you actually eat the orange, your thirst exists. Your "future" doesn't exist yet, and so you're thirsty.

(Words aren't my strong suit, I think in abstract concepts without images or words, so I'm struggling to get this out "right".. bear with me)

As such, that which was, isn't any more, and that which will be, isn't yet.
Thus, the past and the future aren't things that exists, but perceptions, memories, intentions etc. Yesterday's gone as they sang..
All there is, is "now", and now is a forever shifting, forever changing thing, and to comprehend the nature of that change, we rely on time.
A day can whiz by us in what feels like a few moments, and an hour can drag on for a lifetime, so that perception is dependant on our now.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

FairyGirl

Quote from: Miniar on May 25, 2009, 07:22:29 AMThus, the past and the future aren't things that exists, but perceptions, memories, intentions etc. Yesterday's gone as they sang..
All there is, is "now", and now is a forever shifting, forever changing thing, and to comprehend the nature of that change, we rely on time.
A day can whiz by us in what feels like a few moments, and an hour can drag on for a lifetime, so that perception is dependant on our now.

totally have to agree with Miniar on this one- time is a mental abstraction. All that exists is now. If you look for the past, you will never find it. Similarly the future... cycles come and go, lunar cycles, solar cycles, the rhythm of the tides, the passing seasons... a "second" of time in fact is currently officially defined as precisely 9,192,631,770 vibrations of the nucleus of a cesium-133 atom. Einstein defined time as "what we measure with clocks." We think time exists because we have invented these little devices we call clocks- but all that clocks really do is keep rhythmic cycles, like flowers budding, or beautiful Venus in her journey across the stars. They measure nothing. The tick of the clock is merely a single event, which we use to measure other events. We could just as well use snakes moulting their skins.

Reality is like a book, all the pages of the story are here, all at once. The fact that we read the pages linearly one by one doesn't prove the existence of time, only that our brains process information in a certain way that leads us to think in terms of a "fourth dimension". Einstein, arguably the man who put time "in it's place" so to speak, also said "...the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." I tend to agree with him as well.

Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: Alyssa M. on May 23, 2009, 03:51:58 PM
What do you say to someone who doesn't exist? ;)

That you would love to agree with them.

Kristi
  •  

RebeccaFog

Quote from: Kristi on May 25, 2009, 09:04:06 AM
Quote from: Alyssa M. on May 23, 2009, 03:51:58 PM
What do you say to someone who doesn't exist? ;)

That you would love to agree with them.

Kristi

That you're taking their pie and their ain't nothing they can do to stop it?
  •  

tekla

What do you say to someone who doesn't exist?

Some call it prayer.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

fluffy jorgen

Question: When there is no time is everything the same, as in, does it all has equal importance and meaning?
  •