Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Utilitarianism

Started by Jester, March 11, 2009, 12:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Can anyone think of any utilitarian advantages of transgenderism?

The only one I can think of is a particular, rather than a universal and that would be that if you identify as transgender and it affects your ability to function for yourself and others, then the only prudent action would be to act on transgender urges.

I'm hoping that there are more reasons than that, because that has some sticky implications that I'm not comfortable with.
  •  

Silver

Not sure what you mean by "utilitarian advantages of transgenderism" but I can justify transition (disputably) in a utilitarian-compliant manner.

Transitioning does not negatively affect anyone else. But it brings happiness to the transsexual individual. Therefore, it is good.

Very simple, but the point of utilitarianism is simplicity, no?
SilverFang
  •  

Jester

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to as well.  What I meant was, are there any advantages to the "most amount of people" part of the Utilitarian argument for a person transitioning?  I've become a little indoctrinated to the idea of moral value is determined by how one's actions affect the society they're in.

Recently I've been thinking on it, and I may have come to a conclusion based on observations of myself.  Transitioning might have an effect on the lackluster way in which I approach everything, and therefore motivate me to actually participate in this crap-lousy world.  Though maybe not, because I've been an alarming cynic since I was like 11.
  •  

Silver

Alright, I'm just gonna spew out a couple of half-formed ideas then.

Perhaps since (at least I think) transsexuals will likely opt not to have children. But they will still generally get jobs and participate in social life and be productive members of society. Because global overpopulation is a problem, having productive members that do not bring another drain on society (excessive childbearing) are a benefit.

Transsexuals will also stimulate the economy (surgeries and hormones are expensive.) Perhaps we are helping the market for such things which, would be more difficult to acquire for those who needed them (supply and demand.)

Perhaps we (just by being different) provide a different outlook on the world. Maybe we encourage others to be more tolerant. Or maybe we're just a medical tool for doctors to discern what can go wrong with fetal development.

In any case, since (I assume) transsexuals are generally not a burden on society any more than any other group, and we may provide some unique benefits/services to our society, we are better to have around than not have around.

Repressing transsexual urges only makes you unhappy, and does not benefit anybody else. I'd say that's enough.

SilverFang
  •  

Jester

Cool.  I am totally down with all of those arguments.

I have often mused about the acceptance of gay rights on the time line (1960s, onward) is related to the increasing population.  On a biological level, like the human race being like "There's too many of them, their outlook on sex needs to change on more than an individual basis" thing.
  •  

Silver

I once read a theory on homosexuality that stated that it was "nature's birth control."

Because homosexuals exist in many species (those horny dolphins, ya know?) but (as far as we know) exclusive homosexuals have only existed in human societies. A mother who is stressed during pregnancy will yield more effeminate males and more masculine females (stressed mothers produce more androstenedione), and dense populations contribute to stress. So maybe increasing homosexuality is because of overpopulation. The Earth can't handle 7 billion people and it will double if things keep going how they are.

Maybe Gaia theory is correct after all. The sexually variant are only going to become more accepted as time goes on. I think we're a useful part of society.

SilverFang
  •  

Jester

This is all really awesome.  Not being able to justify my thoughts and feelings in a utilitarian context was, believe it or not, really causing me trouble in accepting myself.  And now I have enough reasons to write a paper on the topic.  Awesome.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Just looking through old posts in the philosophy forum...

The problem with a utilitarian consideration of transgender behavior and identity is that you have to define utility. That is, it's exaclty the same as the problem with utilitarianism in general. What function are you trying to maximize? I can imagine highly contrary utilitarian analyses of transgenderism depending upon what utility means.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

VeryGnawty

You might want to do a search on ancient shamans as social mediators.  I once saw a really good article on the net theorizing that transgenders are evolution's way of ensuring that social power structure is neither too patriarchal nor matriarchal.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Alyssa M.

Evolutionary antropology or social evolutionary biology are really dicey fields. The claims made tend to remind me all too much of "Just So Stories." If they find out a way to mess with animal models, I might come around, but that would have some serious ethical problems, and it would be very expensive. I'll leave these questions to the philosophers for now.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

K8

I don't know that it is Utilitarian, but many cultures accept and revere two-spirited people because they can see both sides - male and female - and therefore have insights that single-spirited people don't.  There can be wisdom in being transgendered.  That wisdom can help the family, tribe, clan, etc.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •